Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

weight loss success and alternative daily fasting ?s
Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: August 04, 2008 02:51AM

Hello, I wanted to share some success I've had with my weight loss/fitness goals that I wanted to share. I have been struggling with being about 10-15 lbs overweight for ages, I work out very frequently (weights and cardio 5 days a week) as well as use a bike for local transportation. I have tried 100% raw, but am currently at about 70% I'd say. I feel good on either one. I eat green salads with fruit, and smoothies. The not-raw stuff I eat is brown rice, and other whole grains but its pretty minimum.

Anyway, due to a currently insanely busy schedule I have found myself without time for dinner a few nights a week. I am pretty stressed out and get home so late, I just conk out. Let me tell you, I haven't seen my ab muscles this much in my entire life! I think really I just just skip a few meals maybe, and that is the ticket. Maybe my body is able to do well on just a little food...I shouldn't try to eat the normal meals if my body doesn't need them.

IT kind of reminds me of an article I read recently about some people doing alternate daily fasting...really, fasting every other day. The article talked about people pigging out a little on their eating day, but not 200% so it ended up causing some good weight loss. Others suggested just eating half as much every other day. I think this modified version might work for me, or maybe even 3/4 as much. I am thinking of trying it but without the total pig-out day. Well, maybe a little but on raw foods!

Just wanted to share some thoughts and my happiness at some movement in the weight-loss area. I know I'm not the only one with that problem, haha! Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight loss success and alternative daily fasting ?s
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 04, 2008 01:45PM

That's really amazing. Good for you, do you also feel like you have more energy? Or notice any differences in the way you feel? I also have been thinking about doing this the last few days, cause I love greens but I know they so hard to digest. I'm so happy for you!

Lizard

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 04, 2008 03:36PM

Just remember that fasting is all about internal cleansing and healing. It is the WORST thing for long-term weight loss, as it slows your metabolism. But the idea of doing short fasts regularly is a great idea. Just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: DerekXMcCoy ()
Date: August 04, 2008 05:17PM

Can you tell me what types of whole grains you're eating? Thanks.

Date: August 05, 2008 03:37AM

Hello, well the whole grains are barley, millet, sweet brown rice, brown rice, job’s tear, red bean, black bean, peeled mung bean, and black sweet rice. They come all mixed together and I get a big bag of this for about 10$ at a local Asian grocery. I add it to my salads and it makes it pretty delicious! Not raw though...maybe there would be a way to sprout this? For me though, I think if it helps me stay mostly raw then its a good thing.

What you said was interesting about fasting. Can't fasting be for weight-loss? Maybe a one or two meal fast isn't really so much of a fast anyway..maybe it just means you consumed a little less that day, in the end. Animals don't eat 3 meals a day everyday do they?

As to whether or not I feel that I have more energy, its hard to say because I have been so stressed out. I am finishing up my accounting degree and working full time. I DO feel like I have extra energy, and I have been sleeping less! However, its hard to say if that is adrenaline or real energy.

However, when I wake up in the morning and feel fit and trim...that sure makes me feel good and that gives me a lot of energy. Also, I have never found greens to be difficult for me to digest, though I eat mostly spinach and the spring mixed greens that they sell at the co-ops/grocery store. I don't eat too much of the chards and kale variety of greens. That would be harder to digest.

One other thing is that my muscles are still growing, so I think that the skipping meals now and then isn't hurting my metabolism. I think however, that this way of eating may be somewhat emotionally difficult. To have an eating routine is a big part of life.

Thanks for your comments and kind words! This forum has always helped me.

Posted by: AshleyMartin ()
Date: August 26, 2008 10:53PM

Hi Ksmanthey,

There are so many advices for you to reduce weight but in my point of view the best is go for “Organic Food” which will not only reduce your weight but also make you healthier.

From the below link you will come to know the importance of organic food:

[www.organicauthority.com]

Date: August 27, 2008 12:52AM

Huh? Organic food is good. Of course I eat organic food, are you trying to sell something? I'm not following your link.

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: August 27, 2008 02:18AM

The less I eat the better i feel and the more energy i have. the body uses a lot of energy to digest. i remember when i was eating the SAD diet and id stop during the day to grab a hamburger and fries or some crap,burritos etc, right after eating i wanted to nap! because i was so full and sent my body into digestive overload. we dont need that much food its just that most of us are used to eating alot, and especially on a social level. every time theres a meeting at work theres pizza or if its in the morning theres breakfast burritos etc,when you go out on a date you go to dinner,etc everythings based on eating, but im learning to forget that, i only want to eat when i truly need to and i learned i get so much more accomplished when im not centering my life around food. Fasting is great, we should all do it more often.
Rob

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: August 27, 2008 02:26AM

one more thing, i mentioned when i was eating the SAD diet id stop and eat a hamburger,fries,etc, yea sure i was hungry but the thing is i didnt need that much food (whopper,fries) Im just a pig and thats how i ate, i still do with fruit, im fruitarian, and i pay for it when i over do it, ive eaten as many as 10 to 15 bananas in a matter of 15 minutes or less and i get WAY tired after doing it. heres something many dont know, when you get truly full, the food you are eating will suddenly not taste as good as it did when you began eating it, thats the bodys signal that its full and to stop eating, i know this is true because i experience this every time i eat but yet i will ignore it and eat more, and like i said ill pay for it too with fatigue. also im learning to eat slower, i always ate like a pig and still do but im working on eating slower, listening to the full signal and overall eating less food period each day.

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: August 27, 2008 02:50AM

eating once a day - "intermittant fasting".

i feel at my best when i eat just dinner everyday.

i am not trying to lose weight, i am already very thin.

i dont think people need as much food as they "think" they do, especially full grown adults.

if i get very hungry during the daytime, i will eat a little, this happens once or twice a week.

this week i have been fasting all day, then having a little feast of either raw pineapple or grapes for dinner...

or a extra large salad of organic greens with a little leftover fruit and a touch of braggs apple cider vinegar.

i feel best when i am not stuffing my face all day long just because the clock announces that it is "time" for a meal.

its funny, people who i work with who sit in a cubicle all day long are constantly putting food like donuts, pop-tarts, chips and candy bars in their mouths, and they are not even expending the energy worthy of ingesting these energy sources...and they ask me why i am not eating all the time...

i say because i am not hungry, and they look confused and ask me "what does that have to do with it?"

but yeah...i let my "true hunger" guide me, not other peoples standards.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 27, 2008 06:11AM

<<I am pretty stressed out and get home so late, I just conk out. Let me tell you, I haven't seen my ab muscles this much in my entire life! I think really I just just skip a few meals maybe, and that is the ticket.>>

ha this is true
if u are really busy with activity and forget to eat all the time
you really do get ripped
especially if on the raw diet
its kinda effortless

don't even think about it
cuz u are so busy with working and other things in life

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: August 27, 2008 11:00AM

Intermittent fasting is associated with longevity and reduced risks for a number of diseases.

Posted by: flash ()
Date: August 29, 2008 08:44PM

Ksmanthey said

Huh? Organic food is good. Of course I eat organic food, are you trying to sell something? I'm not following your link.

AshleyMartin is not trying to sell anything. The link is to an article on the OrganicAuthority.com website. This site has much information about organic foods, recipes, living, gardening, etc. The article itself is about how the author lost weight simply be eating foods.

It’s my opinion that the link is well worth following.

flash

Date: August 29, 2008 11:56PM

I'm sorry if it wasn't an advertisement! I am on guard for that sort of thing. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables