Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Travelling Green Smoothies
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 04, 2008 01:47PM

Hello All,

I have seen this before but cannot find it today. How long can green smoothies stay fresh? I normally don't put fruit in my smoothies just greens, don't know if that makes a difference. But if I made one at 6:45am and ate it at 12:30ish would that be okay? I can put it in the fridge at work.

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Lizard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travelling Green Smoothies
Posted by: flash ()
Date: August 04, 2008 09:29PM

I blend mine at 5:20AM and consume it between 11:00AM and 12:30PM, depending on when I feel hungry and my work situation. I have a Stanley 2-Qt vacuum bottle that I put some water into and lay it sideways in the freezer overnight. By lunch, the smoothie is still quite cold. Today it was too cold, so I'm going to try the same ingredients tomorrow without the ice. Once, my lunch was provided at the last minute so I took the smoothie home and ate it about 5:00PM. It was still cold and tasted just fine.

flash

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: August 05, 2008 04:34AM

Here is a trick: We fill those little Starbux frappucino bottles (collected way back when!) with freshly made veggie juice up to the very rim. Then put the screw top on. That way there is not much oxidation happening because there is almost no air in there. That way they stay fresh for about 3 days in the fridge. We do quite elaborate juicing (smoothies first, then pressing the smoothie with a hydraulic juicer, getting more juice out of it that way), so it saves a lot of work this way.

Somewhere I read the effect of this can be heightened by adding a drop of flaxseed oil which will seal the top even better from air.

Not sure if this works for smoothies, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2008 04:36AM by cocoa_nibs.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: August 05, 2008 01:41PM

Thank you all so much! I'm so happy to hear this. Thank you thank you!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 06, 2008 03:08PM

In green for life or on her site I thought I read Victoria saying that they would last for 2-3 days but fresh was always better. I always make double for the next meal- my family and I have smoothies at breakfast and dinner. So if I am making them at breakfast we have the rest for dinner- sometimes everyone is extra hungry and I end up making more at dinner so there is leftover for breakfast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables