Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Using the morphine in poppy seeds fight cheese addictions
Posted by: stasia ()
Date: August 05, 2008 04:16AM

Milk is supposed to be addictive to the babies that are supposed to drink it. The addictive substance in cheese is casein, which when digested becomes morphine. I keep getting addicted to cheese and going on cheese binges, usually after I eat a bit in social settings. It doesn't help that I live with cheese eaters and see it in the fridge all the time.

I usually feel terrible about this, and mentaly apologize to the animals that I hurt and explain that I'm just a cheese addict and that I really wish I hadn't done that, and if only there were another way.

Well, I think I found it. Poppy seeds contain a small amount of morphine. Obviously, not enough to really get the average user addicted unless you eat quarts of it. But after a few days of experimenting with this, I think that eating a spoon or two can take the edge off of cheese addiction cravings!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using the morphine in poppy seeds fight cheese addictions
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 05, 2008 05:17AM

stasia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Milk is supposed to be addictive to the babies
> that are supposed to drink it.

Hmm.....I'd say you're not "supposed" to drink cow or any other animals' milk, except from your mother until you are weaned. :p

Glad you found something you like!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 05, 2008 05:37AM

cheese does indeed stimulate the pleasure center of the brain, you are absolutely correct. casomorphine, i'm sure it's spelled differently but there you are.

that's interesting about the poppy seeds, i'll file that little bit away for later on. i'm sure i'll meet another cheese addict one day!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 05, 2008 10:47PM

Also: look to the underlying emotional need (since it's not a nutritional need) that you feel you are fulfilling with cheese. It's good that you understand it is an addictive behavior, but understand the why of it....and be a good parent to yourself by providing your emotional need....and you satisfy your true need. Thus, no need to look for an alternate addiction. Just an alternate take.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 05, 2008 10:57PM

I agree with Dave. No use going from one addiction to another. Also, you could get in trouble with the poppy seeds if ever you were drug tested.

As an aside, why don't you try seed cheese or hummus? These are raw and taste great. Therese

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 06, 2008 12:12AM

>
> As an aside, why don't you try seed cheese or
> hummus? These are raw and taste great. Therese

can you buy seed cheese or must you make it?
patty

Posted by: stasia ()
Date: August 06, 2008 02:55AM

Good suggestion Life101,I don't know if you can buy seed cheese, but you make it by fermenting ground-up seeds.

Cheese is about 30% casein and poppy seeds are only about .0003% morphine, so it is unlikely to become addictive. It's more like a "patch" for cheese. I've come to the conclusion that it needs to be taken on an empty stomach to be even remotely effective, and probably has little effect on emotional ties to cheese or other triggers like smells.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 06, 2008 03:18AM

i agree with DMZ
speaking for myself only
i find that doing activities that i REALLY enjoy ,that are challenging, that i can do with other people that have a common interest are the things that get me REAL BUZZZZZ!!

and it seems to work for me every single time

good luck in your delicious journey stasia!

smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: August 06, 2008 06:18PM

Poppy seed cheese...? >.>

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 06, 2008 06:28PM

hmm, yeah. sometimes a cheese string is just a cheese string guys. there's not Always hidden meaning IMO.

it's the whole nature vs nuture arguement. lately i have been wondering about some of the funny things that little does, thinking about where they come from and wondering if i can trace it back to myself. but then i think about his personality right from the start and realize that some of it is just him, he was born that way!
sometimes a craving is just physical, nothing more. how we respond to that craving has everything to do with our emotional state but i think that the mind-body connection doesn't cover every little detail. sometimes cheese IS just cheese.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables