Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

High Fruit and weight gain??
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: August 05, 2008 01:21PM

If someone is eating higher fruit, but the same amount of calories as before increasing fruit, is it necessary to add a lot of exercise so that there's no weight gain? Wouldn't it make sense that the same number of calories would require the same amount of exercise to maintain the weight?

I've gone up seven pounds over the past 2-3 weeks. The only change in my diet has been that I've been crazy for pineapples and I've been drawn to other fruits, as well (nectarines and cherries). My fat intake has not gone up, and actually has gone down on most days--and I'm only consuming the at in the evening. I eat 2/3 of a pineapple, at most, per day. I really don't see how my calories could have increased all that much to gain 7 pounds.

According to my husband's calculations, I would have had to eat an extra 24,500 calories over the past three weeks to gain that 7 pounds, which means a bit more than an extra 1,000 calories per day. My activity has not decreased.

A friend on my blog suggested that it's necessary to increase activity when consuming higher amounts of fruit. I can see that being the case if the amount of calories has increased--but if the calories have stayed pretty much the same, is that still the case?

I'm not worried...I'm still going to continue limiting fat and increasing fruit because I want to try out 80/10/10 to see how my body feels on it. However, I'm curious about what is going on right now with the weight gain.

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High Fruit and weight gain??
Date: August 05, 2008 10:06PM

After much thought and reflection over what I've been eating, I am convinced that I have not been consuming many more calories over the past few weeks. However, my fruit sugar consumption has changed drastically. I have decided, just based on my instinct, that insulin resistance is what has caused the weight gain. I'm not blaming 80/10/10, however. I know that many people are quick to jump up and down shouting that the fruit sugars are what is causing the problem.

I've read Dr. Graham's book (and the new "cook" book), as well as all of the things that have been shared on this forum over the years. According to Graham's theory it's not the sugar that's causing me to gain the weight, it's the fat in my diet/blood stream. Since I haven't transitioned to only 10% fat, yet, I can't say that 80/10/10 doesn't work. I'm all for experimenting and finding what works best, so I'll continue on with my 80/10/10 experiment.

If anyone is interested in following how things are going, I'm going to blog about it from time-to-time (www.purejeevan.com/blog).

===========
I'd still love to hear opinions from others about the weight gain. What are you thinking about it?

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 05, 2008 10:39PM

Hey Gypsy! Are you at a healthy weight? Sometime people will drop lower.....or go higher than their pre-conceived 'ideal'. As long as its a healthy and energetic weight for YOU....than no worries mate. Also be aware that fruit has a much higher water content...and you could be taking on board extra water weight....which is not unusual. In general, only extra calories (above what you need to maintain weight)......lessening activity...and poor nutrition (processed foods) will give rise to excess weight gain. Fruit sugar, in and of itself, should not do so. Just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 05, 2008 11:21PM

Gypsy, I gained weight on 100% raw initially, too. I stopped when I listened to my body. I cannot do the 80/10/10, either. You must do what your body tells you to do. One of the ladies on this forum gained unwanted weight on 8/1/1, too. So, you can become overweight following 8/1/1.

You must be your own guru. Follow what your body tells you and you get to where you need to be.

Therese

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: August 05, 2008 11:25PM

Why are you not excerising?

Date: August 05, 2008 11:43PM

Hey David! :-)

Thanks for the reply. After reading what you've written, coupled with some comments that Sarah left on my blog, I'm thinking it must be mostly water weight. I haven't increased my calories much, changed my activity level, or eaten/consumed poor nutrition, so it must be mostly water weight.

I don't think I was at my healthiest weight before trying this. I was at 137 pounds, medium bone structure, and only 5 foot 4 inches. I was stable at that weight for almost a year, I think (I've been 100% raw for almost two years). I was happy at that weight, because I'm healthier than I've ever been, but I still don't think it was an ideal weight for me. I was 144 pounds the other day, which surprised me. The seven pounds came on over a span of about three weeks, I'm guessing.

I'm not worried about it, or having negative body image issues, or anything. I'm just observiing and curious about why it happened. A reader on my blog mentioned menstrual weight (retaining water) and that could very well be a big part of it, too. I didn't think about that.

As for the water weight, do you think there's a chance I was dehydrated and consuming more water-rich fruits has rehydrated my body? If so, that seems like a sweet/healthy thing! ;-)

==========

Therese, I'm definitely my own Guru! Thanks for looking out for me. I'm very much into experimenting and seeing what works for me. I never, never, NEVER blindly follow anyone--that's just not in my personality to do so. I'm sampling 80/10/10, but I'm not down enough on the fat intake to give it an accurate assessment, yet. I know a lot of people who gain weight on 80/10/10 never followed it completely, so it's hard to say if it's flawed based on some of their experiences. I'm going to try it for myself, and I'll report back.

==========

Globalresult, I said I didn't have a change in my activity level. I never claimed to not be exercising (not saying that's not the case, however). :-P

Thanks for the comments.

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 06, 2008 01:54AM

Right. I think you are correct. Many people THINK they have a certain weight. It is very likely that a person can be chronically dehydrated. Thus, they can actually gain 5-10 lbs when switching to a mostly/all raw diet....at first. This is why it is all about long-term / lifetime goals. One cannot judge a change of only a few weeks....stacked often against 20..30..or more years of physical and emotional self-abuse! LOL. When one starts to exercise...at first...one actually GAINS weight....as one puts on unaccustomed muscle mass. This is a predecessor to weight loss.

-In any event, be kind to yourself and give yourself a generous time frame to make the changes you wish. Be flexible and realistic....and stick to the small steps that you are MOTIVATED and PREPARED to do on a daily basis. It's all about a SUSTAINABLE PROCESS....and not about results (which are ASSURED through a sustainable process). Just some thoughts! Power & Success to you!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Nywyn ()
Date: August 06, 2008 06:58PM

I know when I went totally raw, my weight dropped from 115 to 107 which was completely awesome. I felt good, I looked good, everything was good. Then I went high frutarian, >90%, and my weight went up to 120! I can't figure it out. I have a small frame so this is a lot for me; I even have a little roll. /blush

I eat mostly whole raw fruits, take the stairs twice a day to my work on the 9th floor, am constantly moving throughout the day, rarely still, and yet my weight went up. I thought it was from all the excess sugar, but maybe it's the water since I also drink 64oz a day. I'm always thirsty though.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: August 07, 2008 12:52AM

My weight also goes up when I do fruit (haven't done it for more than 1 month though) My theory - Either toxins are being released and diluted as I heal or candida is spiraling out of control and I am puffing up. Not sure which way it goes.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: August 08, 2008 03:07PM

Gain weight or body fat?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables