Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruit only?
Posted by: DCveggieGal ()
Date: August 08, 2008 03:36PM

I've been reading a lot of posts on this message board and I saw some people said they eat only fruit.

I'm a beginner raw vegan and I'm wondering why not vegetables too?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruit only?
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: August 08, 2008 03:45PM

There are large catagories of fruit and what vegetables are. In reality, vegetables are parts of plants - flowers, roots, etc. Or scientifically speaking, rather. Broccoli, for instance, is a flower. Kale is related to broccoli. Kale is a leaf, or a cruciferous vegetable (as well as broccoli). Fruit is anything that contains seeds on the inside - green/yellow squash, cucumber, bell pepper, avacado, etc are all non-sweet fruits.

SO, now that you know that - roots and flowers aren't all bad, but greens are specifically better. Roots don't contain the most nutrient in the plant most of the time (carrots are less nutrient dense then carrot greens - you know like the thing that gets thrown away). These vegetables are a better source of fiber then anything - ment to expand in the stomach for a feeling of being full and aid in digestion. Same with greens (all types of lettuces - kale is not a "green" nor is cabbage, but some classify it as greens just because they're all leafy like smiling smiley ) --except greens and cruciferous vegetables such as kale provide good amino acids and are packed with vitamins and minerals. Just avoid iceberg lettuce, it's like white bread - does nothin for you.

you can read more about this in "green for life" or on websites about greens and vegetables. Read about this guy's fruit life here:
[www.raw-food-health.net]

that gave me some good insight

fruit is also good for active people; simple carbs are the easiest thing to digest for the human body

Posted by: DCveggieGal ()
Date: August 08, 2008 03:52PM

Thanks. That was very helpful. I am reading "Green For Life" right now. I drink my green smoothies everyday.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: August 08, 2008 04:04PM

There's also this choice qou will be facing soon.

Either if you want your new diet to be based on high fruit, or high fat. Being a raw vegan, its mostly one way or the other, since vegetables and greens don't contain enough calories to live on them alone.

I was high fat at first, like alot of people, but now im high fruit, its a better way of going...

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: August 08, 2008 08:20PM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's also this choice qou will be facing soon.
>
> Either if you want your new diet to be based on
> high fruit, or high fat. Being a raw vegan, its
> mostly one way or the other, since vegetables and
> greens don't contain enough calories to live on
> them alone.
>
> I was high fat at first, like alot of people, but
> now im high fruit, its a better way of going...

For you ... or in your opinion. There is, however, always a middle road.

DCveg,
There appears to be two pretty definitive camps on this site: those that are fruitarian and those that love there greens. That or at least these are the two that do most of the writing. I prefer a middle road really. See what works for you. There are days that I want nothing but fruit and other days that the thought of eating a bit of fruit is quite revolting. Not very often mind you, I love fruit, but it does occasionally happen though.

Posted by: Nywyn ()
Date: August 08, 2008 09:07PM

The only non-fruit food I eat is tofu, which I have in the morning then fruit throughout the day. The thought of eating vegetables just doesn't appeal to me. I know there are many reason why people chose to go fruitarian, such as the ethics of killing plants, but I am doing so to fashion my life after Genesis 1:29

Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

There's nothing wrong with eating vegetables, some of us just chose to abstain.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 08, 2008 09:07PM

gorillawar Wrote:

I prefer a
> middle road really.

i`m the same. i like to incorporate both worlds. i want it all!! LOL
patty

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 08, 2008 11:13PM

I like to eat fruit because its fast, easy, and delicious. I eat fruit all day and then in the evening I like to eat salads and other raw foods.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2008 11:20PM

i eat it all, fruit, greens, fats. it's all good.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 09, 2008 12:55AM

I eat it all too. Fruits, fats. greens. Its just that some people who also eat fruits, fats, and greens will unknowingly eat a diet that seems pretty balanced, with a low volume of fats. However, when they look at the calorie percentages they are very surprised to find out that their diet is in excess of 60% fat as a percentage of their caloric intake.

The standard American diet is 40% fat, which is very high. 30% fat intake is high, and 20% moderate, and 10% is low, and 5% is even lower.

Basing things on volumes can be deceptive. A person eating 80% by volume raw and 20% by volume cooked could actually be eating 80% by calories cooked and 20% by calories raw.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 09, 2008 01:34AM

I think there's a slight misconception that people CHOOSE their diet. For me, it was an evolution based on MY lifetime passionate goals. I found myself eating more and more fruit to fuel these goals....until other foods became un-palatable and un-desired. Why fight that? I'm so happy. But it's the CONSCIOUS CHOOSING and ACTION that feeds. Not the food. If you had that fire....you could be eating anything...or nothing. Just some thoughts.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: August 09, 2008 02:44AM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think there's a slight misconception that people
> CHOOSE their diet. For me, it was an evolution
> based on MY lifetime passionate goals. I found
> myself eating more and more fruit to fuel these
> goals....until other foods became un-palatable and
> un-desired. Why fight that? I'm so happy. But it's
> the CONSCIOUS CHOOSING and ACTION that feeds. Not
> the food. If you had that fire....you could be
> eating anything...or nothing. Just some thoughts.
>
>
> -David Z. Mason

That's very true...you could eat cooked foods, smoke like a chimney and still live to be a 100.....

F1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables