Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

immediate protection from over exposure to sun today
Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: August 08, 2008 09:25PM

ok, had to turn to all you smart raw people on this!

I know most of you love to be in the sun and can tan, etc. I just am not a big fan of the look on me, as I am very fair, (Celtic DNA!) and enjoy it but do it wisely with limited exposure, long sleeves, hats. I do use mineral/chemical free sunblocks sometimes as well.

I am about 80% raw still - I had an unavoidable situation (an animal rescue emergency!) where I was out for about 5 hrs today in the direct sun on a bright day with no hat, short sleeves etc.

I do not see any redness yet, nor do I feel hot, but I am wondering if you all have interesting suggestions? ie, Aloe before I feel any redness? certain fruits, or supplements? I have been eating massive amounts of fruits and berries the past week or so and my cooked foods have been like steamed broccoli, some beans, but no simple carbs like bread.

Anything on the internet is mostly crazy stuff and I knew this was the best place to turn. I've never had a bad burn before, so I honestly don't know how I could react.

Thanks!!! and the animal was saved btw smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: immediate protection from over exposure to sun today
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 08, 2008 09:28PM

i think once the skin has been burnt it`s burnt?
maybe the massive amounts of berries have given you natural protection?
wish i was of more help
patty

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2008 10:00PM

fresh aloe vera is terrific. a tepid bath with a cheesecloth bag full of oatmeal to soothe the skin.

good luck!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: August 09, 2008 11:23AM

All of the above + greens, pineapple, flax, avocado, and papaya (to eat).

You can take wild artichoke extract and wild coffee extract for extra protection, too. NOW foods makes the cheapest ones. Or take Heliocare. It's from the fern polypodium leucotomos. I take the separates because they are a lot cheaper.

Keep some bottles of sunscreen around in your car, at your workplace, etc.

Always take your hat with you. I use a 5" wide brim visor. Rain, shine, 12 months a year.

There are some topicals and orals that will help a little after the fact. These tend to be the same ones that help a little before burning: vitamin C, vitamin E, cocoa with high flavanol content, pycnogenol, silymarin, cyanobacteria (blue-green algae), vitamin A, red clover, etc.

You will need to take vitamin D, too, since your exposure is usually limited.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 09, 2008 12:55PM

Shea butter is very soothing on a burn.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: August 09, 2008 02:03PM

the best way to reduce the pain/heat from sunburn is to lightly brush the skin with vinegar. somehow it opens the pores and lets the heat out. i learned this many years ago in mexico and although the thought of putting vinegar on your skin may not be appealing...it sure soothes the burn.

cheers

Date: August 09, 2008 02:07PM

thank you all SO much for the great advice - some of it I never had heard of (artichoke, vinegar - wow, interesting)

I wanted to report that I did eat alot of those protective foods last night and had some fresh aloe vera to slather on. This morning, I have a slight tan, but nary a burn or patch of red. I am honestly shocked. I just can't believe I am not lobster red and in pain. My boyfriend is dumbfounded too. I have to believe it is because of all the raw food I was truly protected from the inside out. I did understand this theory but to see it work on my lily white skin is truly amazing!

I am definitely saving all these ideas, thank you sooo much again!!!!!!

Posted by: vegan john ()
Date: August 09, 2008 02:36PM

Hello,
Good to hear that you did not burn.

To continue protecting yourself in the future - some people say that eating tomatoes helps to protect against sunburn (but easier digested if prepared e.g. in the blender). Also, some people say plenty of dark greens as well.
John

Date: August 09, 2008 02:52PM

thanks, John. I've had lots of tomatos and greens lately too, so that must've helped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables