Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing Apples - Toxic Problem?
Date: August 10, 2008 03:03PM

Maybe a bit of a weird question!

The apple tree in my garden has become strangled with ivy. Will this make any difference to the fruit, since ivy is toxic and is literally wrapped around the tree like a blanket?

PS. The apple tree is VERY old, bears fruit every year and looks pretty healthy despite the ivy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing Apples - Toxic Problem?
Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: August 10, 2008 11:18PM

_Ivy_ is a pretty generic term. Are you talking about Poison ivy, English ivy, Ground ivy, or what? Could you be a bit more specific?
Perhaps, give us the botanical name for the plant you're referring to since many herbs share common names.

I can think of instances where a plant might produce chemicals toxic to other plants to keep them from encroaching on their turf (Black Walnut trees come to mind) but
generally speaking, plants that are poisonous for human consumption aren't necessarily poisonous for another plant. Some might very well thrive by being planted close together.

Why'd you let the "ivy" get so out of hand anyway?

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: August 11, 2008 01:46PM

The majority of ivy's that grow on trees are parasitic..Which means that eventually they will strangle the host tree, killing it..If you want your apple tree to thrive I would recommend removing 100% of the ivy from the tree..

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2008 01:47PM by baltochef.

Date: August 11, 2008 03:16PM

baltochef Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The majority of ivy's that grow on trees are
> parasitic..Which means that eventually they will
> strangle the host tree, killing it..If you want
> your apple tree to thrive I would recommend
> removing 100% of the ivy from the tree..

Parasitic? If you're talking about Hedera helix, no. They don't penetrate deep enough.
Looking at it as an herbalist I'd even postulate that they might even slightly raise the medicinal value of the apple tree's fruit by very mildly raising its defense system in a homeopathic sort of way.

The actual danger of Hedera helix growing on a tree is it's weight and how it might eventually block sunlight.

I'd clip Hedera helix at the base so it dies. Once it dries out its going to look bad but rather than try to rip it off the tree in big pieces I'd clip it to take it off in manageable pieces.

100% off? No, there's going to be small pieces embedded in the tree's bark. I'd leave them.

Date: August 11, 2008 07:12PM

Well the bottom of the garden is very VERY wild, and the ivy has always been there, but since it spread, it took over the tree very fast!

It's not poison ivy, and seems to enjoy creeping along the ground as well as climbing, so maybe ground ivy sounds right?

We cut it away yesterday so the tree should be again, I'm just wary about eating the fruit! smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2008 11:42PM

suspendedindefinitely Wrote:
<snip>
> It's not poison ivy, and seems to enjoy creeping
> along the ground as well as climbing, so maybe
> ground ivy sounds right?

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Ground ivy" was once a popular bitter when making beer. An infusion can be drank for lung ailments if need be. The American Indians here in the Midwest infused it in lipids and applied it topically to joints they had arthritis in.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 12, 2008 12:26AM

baltochef Wrote:
> The majority of ivy's that grow on trees are
> parasitic..Which means that eventually they will
> strangle the host tree, killing it..If you want
> your apple tree to thrive I would recommend
> removing 100% of the ivy from the tree..
>
> Bruce

I agree that the climbing ivy is parasitic, but in the sense that it uses the host tree as a device to climb above the tree canopy to reach sunlight, and in so doing can eventually outpace the apple branches blocking the light so that the tree suffers and may even die.

[www.scib.gc.ca]

Regarding the fruit, my guess is that if the apple tree is growing in a carpet of ivy (of a toxic variety), that it is effectively feeding off ivy mulch, which could POSSIBLY pass on a mild toxic quality to the fruit.. in my experience fruit can take on a hint of the flavor of the soil in which it grows.... as an illustration, grapes I picked along the edge of a cranberry bog last fall had more than a hint of cranberry flavor. Just my opinion..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables