Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

low blood pressure
Posted by: markfi ()
Date: August 13, 2008 12:05PM

Hi everyone,

I dont post much but I read a lot of the posts. I just got back from Ann Wigmore Puerto Rico which was amazing. I have been detoxing for a couple of weeks now and I started to feel dizzy when getting up and started to research what was going on. Now that Im home Im feeling run down and still getting dizzy - I really would like to stay on the raw food/living food diet. I measured my blood pressure over the past few days and have been measuring like 75/45 or so. What is everybodys recommendation. I dont feel like this is safe. Am I detoxing too fast? Do I need to go back to cooked foods and really slow things down a lot? What is going on with my body? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: low blood pressure
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 13, 2008 03:40PM

i`m not sure about the other stuff but thats a pretty low bp reading. gorillawar is a nurse.....hopefully he`ll read this or maybe shoot him a pm
patty

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 13, 2008 03:42PM

When I get light-headed, I eat more Raw. Adding more Raw
Calories may work for you......WY

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: August 13, 2008 04:11PM

That is a real low reading, and low bp will cause dizziness.

Hmmm...salt causes high BP, so maybe add some high sodium veggies like sea weeds. Perhaps you could add a sea veggie salad to your diet. You could also try adding a little sea salt, though around here that might be considered suicidal.

Another idea is you could read the first couple of pages of the Shazzie thread. That should get the ole' BP up some! lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2008 04:19PM by swimmer.

Date: August 13, 2008 08:20PM

I know not eating enough can cause low blood sugar but can that also cause consistently low blood pressure

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: August 13, 2008 08:55PM

markfi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know not eating enough can cause low blood sugar
> but can that also cause consistently low blood
> pressure

No, not from what I'm reading. Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic's pages on hypotension...their remedies wont be raw vegan, but the other info may be useful to you.

[www.mayoclinic.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 12:27AM

markfi, In addition to the low bp, you may be detoxing too fast. Check your alkalinity level. Too acidic may cause dizziness, too.

I've often felt faint while fasting. I always have to rise very slowly from an inclined or sitting position when fasting due to the detox. On one fast, I actually did faint and fell to the ground, blacking out for a few seconds when I got up too quickly from lying down watching TV.

I don't know what my bp is during a fast so I cannot relate it. My "normal" bp had decreased considerably since raw to about 90/60. I don't know what it is when I fast. Sorry.

Take care. Therese

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: August 14, 2008 04:23AM

I get that too...and there are very few remedies! I think its a problem of the 3rd world, not here. Its like the medical community hardly considers it a problem! I would start drinking tons of water for one...if you aren't eating much salt you might not be retaining it. If it doesn't bother you, you could put a pinch of salt in the water. Coffee also raises it, but its not raw of course!

Date: August 15, 2008 01:00AM

ksmanthey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get that too...and there are very few remedies!
> I think its a problem of the 3rd world, not here.
> Its like the medical community hardly considers it
> a problem! I would start drinking tons of water
> for one...if you aren't eating much salt you might
> not be retaining it. If it doesn't bother you, you
> could put a pinch of salt in the water. Coffee
> also raises it, but its not raw of course!

how long have you been raw for? I have been opening my diet up a lot more (still raw but not so 'Wigmoresque' eg. no salt,etc.) and feel better. My guess is if that keeps happening maybe this is the wrong diet, or we are doing it wrong - I understand symptoms of detox but at some point your health comes first because this is not just a headache or feeling tired.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: August 15, 2008 03:25AM

Low blood pressure is a symptom of any of a multiple of different pathologies. It is not the disease itself
but a symptom of a possible disease state.

What works for one of us might not work for another.

My suggestion is to do an in person consultation with a medical doctor for a diagnosis of what is actually going on.

Consulting an MD does not mean you have to do what that dr. says you should do if you don't want to.
It does mean that when you ask a question about your health here you'll have more pieces of the puzzle to present.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 15, 2008 05:23AM

I had the issue with getting dizzy when I first started raw. This problem went away all by itself, and for me it was just part of the detox phase. What I did to prevent this from being a problem was to be very conscious about getting up too quickly. That is, get up slowly and breath deeply as you are getting up. If you are careful, you won't have any problems. And the problem will most likely go away all by itself over time.

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: August 16, 2008 05:26PM

For myself I just do better not at 100% raw, I feel better and I don't get the low blood pressure. I agree that it is just my constitution, other things about myself that I think are related are that I totally hate to be hot, I need to drink tons of water to keep hydrated, and I am prone to migraine headaches.

Again, getting salt, coffee, a little cooked (for me whole grains), plenty of water (PLENTY!), and enough food keeps my not dizzy at all. Sitting up slow is good, but for the long term you'll want to find what works for you to get rid of it. For example I love to exercise and weight lift and I couldn't be almost passing out from being dizzy! No way.

Bryan could be right and its just a phase and I never fully went through it though!
Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables