Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Flax and Hemp Seeds - soaking?
Posted by: Quest for Peace ()
Date: August 15, 2008 05:10AM

Hello! I am confused about flax and hemp seeds. I have read that they don't need to be soaked (and some say that hemp seeds shouldn't be soaked). For flax, some say soak OR grind. My thought is that if you grind, the inhibitors are still present. Are flax and hemp different from other seeds, and if so, what makes them different from all other nuts and seeds?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flax and Hemp Seeds - soaking?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 15, 2008 02:12PM

when you soak flax seeds they turn into a gelatinous mess so unless you are ok using them like that, no soak. give it a try sometime to see what i mean.

Posted by: Quest for Peace ()
Date: August 16, 2008 12:16AM

Thanks Coco. Yes, I am familiar with the creature from the flax lagoon...

However, I was more asking about the healthiest approach rather than the non-grossest approach.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 16, 2008 03:06AM

i dunno. you can sprout flax seeds though and that's interesting. what does it do to the omega's i wonder?
if you want to sprout them you can either do it along with another seed (in soil though, not hydroponically) like sunflower greens or you can spread the goop onto the inside of a terracotta pot and mist a couple of times daily. this will take care of the soaking without leaving behind the goo.
i know sprouting increases nutrients in other seeds, it surely does the same with flax. as for hemp, most has been shelled so it's not really an issue. the hulls are very crunchy in a not so pleasant way so not eating them is nicer anyhow.

Posted by: jonesy8844 ()
Date: August 16, 2008 08:05PM

I believe the general recommendation is that you grind the flax seeds because you gain access to its goodness more effectively this way.

The seeds you can soak or don't but they recommend you do for the reason you mentioned above. I soak them because if i don't they give me a belly ache and gas :-) Whatever works for you, just do it
K

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables