Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Osteoporosis
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: August 17, 2008 03:39PM

Does anyone have information about raw and osteoporosis? I think I am looking for specific small steps.

A really great lady I know tells me she has osteoporosis. She can't imagine how she has been cursed like this because she grew up on a farm and was raised on so much dairy. It broke my heart because I know it is probably that very fact which is the cause of the problem.

I am sure that explaining raw would be totally overwhelming for her, so I was hoping to find some small pieces of information to pass along, and give her time one step at a time to digest the information. Otherwise it will be too much to try to tell her that everything she knows to be true is a big lie.

Any suggestions?

Sapphire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Osteoporosis
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 17, 2008 03:48PM

She should start with removing animal products from her diet and then see if she is able to increase her bone density. The next step is removing processed foods, and after than whole grains.

Sunshine and exercise is crucial to building bone.

And as much as possible, eat lots of fruits and salads and vegetables.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: August 17, 2008 03:57PM

Thanks Bryan, great advice as always.

I guess I will start by mentioning that I avoid meat and dairy because of the bone health issues, and leave it at that for now. Just plant that little seed and maybe print off an article or something that really backs it up.

Do you know if osteo can be reversed on a raw diet and do you know of any examples? She is a tiny lady, and probably in her late 60's. I don't know how much she would be willing to exercise, which I think is probably key, but she does dragonboat with me, so it's a good sign that she is kind of active. (and of course that is an activity where we get sunshine most of the time)

Too bad she doesn't have a computer, she could find all kinds of stuff!

Sapphire

Date: August 17, 2008 04:14PM

Rosalind Gruben reversed and completely healed her 50% bone loss with the raw vegan diet. She has been a raw vegan now for over 20 years.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 17, 2008 05:27PM

Sapphire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have information about raw and
> osteoporosis? I think I am looking for specific
> small steps. ...
>
>

My mother picked up "The pH Miracle" by Robert O. Young a while back and made the connection between the acidifying affect of certain foods on bone loss.

Taking dairy as an example, hard cheeze would have an acid affect and draw calcium from the bones as a pH buffer.

I think she can feel fine about the milk she drank growing up, the pH affect on bones being neutral to slightly positive (I don't recall Young's take on milk).

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 17, 2008 05:47PM

See if she can do some light yoga to increase flexibility and strength. Maybe she could do the 5 Tibetan rites, too?

Cow's milk and animal products in general are too acidic. As stated above, calcium in the bones is taken to counteract the acid. You friend should also be supplementing her diet with chelated minerals, including magnesium. If there is not enough magnesium in the body, the body won't retain the calcium in balance, either.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 03:29AM

Bryan Wrote:
> Rosalind Gruben reversed and completely healed her
> 50% bone loss with the raw vegan diet. She has
> been a raw vegan now for over 20 years.

Hi Bryan,

Who is Rosalind Gruben? Does she have a web site?

I also have osteoporosis and since going raw in Feb I have not been able to find any info on reversing osteoporosis with raw.

My doctor keeps on me to take the prescribed meds like fosomax or boniva, but I am afraid of these drugs.

Date: August 21, 2008 03:59AM

Her name is actually spelled Rozalind Gruben. She is an author, health, fitness, and raw food educator, and is the wife of Dr Doug Graham.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 21, 2008 04:20AM

Here's a google search for Rozalind Gruben: [www.google.com]

Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: August 21, 2008 04:44AM

EZ rider Wrote:
> Here's a google search for Rozalind Gruben:
> [www.google.com]
> en&btnG=Google+Search

Thanks so much!!!

Posted by: ohitsclaire ()
Date: August 23, 2008 12:52PM

having reversed osteoporosis myself... (i had it at 17 due to hormonal imblanaces) ... its important to get enough minerals, AND make sure your hormones are balanced.

c

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables