Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

this is WEIRD
Posted by: claire ()
Date: August 19, 2008 07:35AM

Hi all

I would be so grateful for any suggestions about what's going on with me...

I posted a while back about getting reactions to green smoothies - rash all over face, round armpits, knees and elbows. I concluded that I must be allergic to spinach as every time I had a smoothie with that in, I reacted, but every other combination was OK.

Then I started reacting to smoothies with kale in as well...

Then also any smoothies with romaine...

Next was mangoes. I ate two 1/2 large honey mangoes before dinner and reacted.

This morning I have just reacted to a banana/strawberry smoothie (3 small bananas, handful strawberries).

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?????!!!!

All of these foods I have eaten for YEARS with no problems! When I juice the greens that give me problems in green smoothies, I don't seem to have any issues - even in the same quantities. Same if I eat them in salads. I don't get it...

My partner reckons I am eating too much of the same thing in one go...maybe he's right?

I'm thinking about getting a food intolerance test done. Thing is, I'm just not convinced that all the sudden I'm allergic to all these things.

Any suggestions would be VERY gratefully received, this is driving me crazy!!!

thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: this is WEIRD
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 19, 2008 02:26PM

Try simply eating each individual food....on a stomach that has been empty for at least 4 hours.....to determine which individual foods are truly irritating for you. Try eating 1 food all day....to see which foods are truly energizing for YOU.

-As a side note: I do not believe that food moves as fast through most people's systems as they believe. Therefore, the state of your internal cleanliness (whether your insides are irritated/clogged to begin with)....and what foods are already in the system......in what mixtures.....plays a HUGE part in how a given person is going to react to foods. The standard I hear, for instance, is something like: "Oh, I can't eat ANY fruits...they give me the runs....the upset my stomach...they make me break out....etc."

-Many otherwise healthy foods get a pretty bad rap for 'causing' poor symptomology, when this really has much more to do with the existing 'state of the system' - if you follow my meaning. People often eschew the truly healing and cleansing foods....at some point....because they are 'mixing' them haphazardy......either immediately.....or in effect....by eating them right on top of other volitile foods that they've eaten quite recently. Dumping watermelon on top of a large starch and protein meal...MIGHT end up in upset, breakouts, rashes or other detox-type reactions.

-Just some thoughts and tips - which I hope contribute a bit.

-Power to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: August 19, 2008 02:53PM

Claire, I had several rash type reactions when I started raw. I also thought it was allergies. But it was NOT allergies (in my case). It was detox. I released a lot of toxins thru skin and that caused all rashes. Especially in my armpits. What helped me was fasting with lemon water for three days, and teh rash was gone. Never came after. But during the three days, it got a lot worse though. So be careful if you fast, it might get really bad before gettign better. Take it slow and easy.

Healing vibes to you.

A Iyer

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 19, 2008 02:58PM

claire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?????!!!!
I'd say you're having the typical reactions of
someone on one diet trying to change to another. Your Body
should be soaking up the Fruit and Greens. If not, examine
what you've been eating.....WY

Date: August 19, 2008 04:08PM

Thanks everyone for the useful comments.

I never thought about what might be in my system already from the night before...I'm not 100% raw and if I'm going to eat any cooked foods it is generally in the evening. I often have a small portion of cooked grain.

I just had another thought - I take a multivitamin/mineral tablet every morning (but the day I had the reaction at dinner I took it later in the day) so maybe it is reacting with my food. Or maybe I'm overdosing on some nutrient when I add the tablet to my food...like vitamin C or something??? I'll try having a smoothie without a tablet. Not tomorrow morning though as I'm seeing the physio and I've already turned up once with a bright red rash all over my face and been asked lots of questions about my diet!!! smiling smiley

Do you think it is causing harm to my body to be eating things which bring it out in a rash?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2008 04:14PM by claire.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 19, 2008 08:27PM

well try getting rid of your multivitamin thing first

may take a couple of days to get the vitamin out of your system

then do what dave suggested

trying one thing at a time

and also keep in mind what annuyer said

that her rashes came as a result of detox

i think all these ideas are valid

rashes are trying to get rid of something in your body

that it doesn't agree with

i'd say that the body

in its infinite intelligence

is probably trying to get rid of the cooked stuff

like grains

but sometimes if u consume stuff that messes with the body's integrity

it gets "very confused" and starts attacking and going after things even if it is good for the body

if u stick with it and persevere

then the body will 'RIGHT" itself

then finally understand what is good for it

and stop attacking the right things

people that have candida

get the same reaction when they eat fruits

cuz they have an overgrowth of candida

caused by eating too much of the refined stuff

then when they eat the good stuff

like apples and oranges

their body , due to overgrowth of candida,
start to ferment these fruits

and turns it into alcohol

and so

sometimes in worst case scenario

the person feels inebriated just from eating a fruit

but when they right their body condition

it doesn't happen

and the candida amounts become back to normal

so... just take heart

and be patient

it takes a while for the body to reset its own innate intelligence

after so much confusion it has undergone

good luck

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: August 22, 2008 12:36AM

It does sound weird but the body is perfect and does its job trying to be balanced

Date: August 22, 2008 06:26PM

Well, it's early days but it looks like it WAS the multivitamin that was the problem!!! I can't believe it, I've been taking that same brand of tablet for years!!!

Have had two green smoothies with no problems at all since I stopped taking it smiling smiley

Thanks for your ideas everyone smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables