Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruit juice affects heart & cancer drugs
Date: August 20, 2008 06:56PM

Very interesting... The line about grapefruit shutting drugs out of the body is esp. fascinating.

Taken from Sky News

[news.sky.com]

Fruit juices can dramatically reduce the effectiveness of heart and cancer drugs, according to claims.

Potentially the medicines could be rendered useless if they are taken at the same time as juices including grapefruit, orange and apple, Canadian researchers said.

The evidence emerged from a study in which grapefruit juice was found to shut certain drugs out of the body.

Other fruit juices, notably orange and apple, are thought to have the same effect.

Patients consuming fruit or juice to be healthy run the risk of wiping out the benefits of their medicines, the scientists warn.

These include vital treatments for heart disease, cancer, organ transplant rejection and infection.

It has been known for 20 years that grapefruit juice can boost the potency of some drugs, increasing the risk of an overdose.

A number of prescription drugs now carry labels warning patients not to drink grapefruit juice or eat fresh grapefruit at the same time as taking the medicines.

Study leader Professor David Bailey, from the University of Western Ontario, said losing half of a drug dose could be critical.

"The concern is loss of benefit of medications essential for the treatment of serious medical conditions," he said.

Grapefruit, orange and apple juices all lowered the absorption of the anti-cancer agent etoposide, Professor Bailey added.

They also reduced the potency of certain beta blockers.

"This is just the tip of the iceberg," said Prof Bailey. "I'm sure we'll find more and more drugs that are affected in this way."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruit juice affects heart & cancer drugs
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 21, 2008 03:56AM

<<Patients consuming fruit or juice to be healthy run the risk of wiping out the benefits of their medicines>>

Could it be that humans consuming medicines run the risk of wiping out the benefits of consuming fruit or juice?

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 21, 2008 04:36AM

Ha! ha! Right on Rawgosia. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: August 21, 2008 05:35AM

That makes sense. Drugs are toxic and fruits are very cleansing. I can see how fruits and fruit juices would detoxify the body and decrease the effects of drugs.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 21, 2008 03:05PM

rawgosia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> <>
>
> Could it be that humans consuming medicines run
> the risk of wiping out the benefits of consuming
> fruit or juice?

I was going to quote the same line. It almost made me spit out my orange juice. LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables