Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help Lost Weight and Got Deathly Ill
Posted by: phylisrn ()
Date: August 25, 2008 02:57PM

Hi all,
I have a long story so here goes... I have always since a little girl been overweight and toxic. I ballooned up to 300 lbs. You see my diet consisted of fried potatoes in the morning and bacon, lunch french fries and fried meat, dinner starches and meat. I also developed high blood pressure and insulin resistance during these years. I am 41 years old. The medication they gave me to take for the high blood pressure is Lisinopril and it is known to cause awful side effects, but I handled them like fatigue, palpitations, and severe cough and in some people it can cause kidney failure and heart problems.

On July 1st, I decided to get serious and work on my health as I have a 5 year old daughter. I immediately started eating 50% raw and lean meats( I didn't now about the raw food movement, I just figured it was good for me). I started feeling real weird and all of my medication symptoms were 10 fold. I completely lost my appetite and didnt eat for 2 weeks. JUly 25th I couldnt take it anymore and went to the hospital. My bp was 232/100 and my kidney function was impaired. They immediately stopped the medication and my kidney function did return to normal. I stayed for 4 days in the hospital.

I came home and even though I was no longer on Lisinopril, my symptoms were now 100 fold, I had palpitations, complete loss of appetite, throat pain, coughing, ear pain, jaw pain, muscle twitching and muscle weakness. Anxiety, panic attacks.
Interesting enough, Lisinopril side effects also somewhat mimic detox symptoms.
I continued my new way of eating.

On August 18, I got severe palpitations again and went to the hospital. I was anxious and panicky and my bp was up again to 200/100. They admitted me for five days and changed my meds around again.

Now I am home and it seems like I will have 3 good days, then those Lisinopril symptoms come back. Did the rapid weight loss disturb the toxins too quick? Now I will get a symptom for about 20 minutes and then it will go away. Then another one will come and I will get anxious all over again. I still have severe fatigue, occasional palpitations, muscle weakness, My appetite is improving.

Since July 1st, I have loss 50 lbs and people who see me cant believe the fast weight loss. I am totally amazed myself. Was the "shock" to my system too great and it was overloaded? WHat can I do to make this detox process easier?
I am staying on this way of eating.
I feel as if 50 lbs off should be making me feel better and I am not even 100% aw. I felt like I was dying.

ps here is the freaky part... this medication is made from SOuth America Pit Viper snake venom-I didnt know that,,, and most of my symptoms mimic a snake bite, of course doctors think you are crazy when you say that. They accused me of being noncompliant with my blood pressure meds.

Thanks for listening,
Phyllis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help Lost Weight and Got Deathly Ill
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: August 25, 2008 03:20PM

Did you do more research on the medication? Like it's side effects and all? Sounds like all your current symptoms ARE from that and you probably have a good lawsuit on your hands. I blame the meds, not detox or weight loss. Lots of people lose a lot of weight fast going raw or cleansing and don't have those kinds of symptoms. (I once lost 20lbs of toxic bloat in 2 weeks) Besides, just the fact that you're still eating meat would slow any major detox symptoms down.

"this medication is made from SOuth America Pit Viper snake venom-I didnt know that,,, and most of my symptoms mimic a snake bite, of course doctors think you are crazy when you say that."

Try a Naturapath and they won't think you're crazy. That can happen. It's like how the rabies vaccine can give animals/people "rabies" symptoms because it's made from saliva of a rabid animal. (Seriously)

I don't know what to tell you other than get rid of your doctors and look for a holistic or a naturapath. Sounds like you need to detox all that medication along with all the fat/toxins out of your system. Try posting this on www.curezone.com too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 03:22PM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: August 25, 2008 03:38PM

Phylisrn, I think you may be suffering from snake bit, Sounds like to me an AMA ``snake. Nader said when you go the the Hospital, you are walking in the mine ``fields. also 350,000 people are killed by meds every year in this country.
Get a hair Folical test also, see if mabey somthing else like metals or?
I agree with Like it Or Not, you may have a good law suit.
seeing a naturapath is good advise, also go elsewhere and get more blood work ``up and see.
Good thoughts you way Hpoe you feel better very soon.
Peace and Healing riverhousebill

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 25, 2008 03:50PM

I too am about 300 lbs and have high blood preasure. I am not takeing any meds but last year I was 100% raw for 6 months and lost 100 lbs I did not experiance those symptoms. Right now I am doing the master cleanse and have been doing this for 12 days now and have lost weight and have not felt these symptoms. I am wondering if the med's are affecting you? Can you get another doctor oppinion? I have no insurance and can't afford a doctor That is why I am not taking any meds for high blood preasure but I was checked and its 200 over something else which is not good at all so I am fasting in hopes to correct it. Keep us posted on your progress.

Date: August 25, 2008 03:51PM

Thanks for the help, I have did major major research on this drug. It completely depletes zinc from the body and God knows what else.
I am taking zinc supplements, FDA has this drug locked done. It has nothing but wonderful things to say about it. I have been google this drug and there are thousands of people complaining about my exact symptoms. I just wonder how long does it take to slow down the detox?
I did send the manufacturer a certified letter about my symptoms. FDA is a bunch of hogwash.
I am more than ever committed now to get off all of these poisons. I am amazed that I have been off this drug 5 weeks and I am still symptomatic.
Phyllis

Date: August 25, 2008 03:53PM

I have no doubt it is the meds... I know it is not the diet. I was just trying to get some feedback on managing detox symptoms. I no longer take that particular medicine. It has been 5 weeks.

Phyllis

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 25, 2008 04:12PM

Intense detox symptoms are a sign of strong internal vitality, removing toxins from the body. If you think of the damage as being done when you first consumed the toxin, and the pain and symptoms are you having to pay the price for that damage.

The typical strategy for slowing down detox is to reduce your vitality. This can be done with eating a more toxic diet or eating foods that take all your energy for their digestion. If you want to do this, eat more of the foods you used to eat, and your detox will slow down. But at a cost of health to you.

Another strategy is to fully support your detox so that it happens as quickly as possible. This may take some time, depending on how much your body has to clean up. This would involve clearing your schedule so that you can rest and sleep as much as possible during this time, and eating as cleanly as possible so your body is not contending with a large digestion task.

Of these 2 approaches, I took the latter. But I have seen many opt for the former.

You have to choose what feels right for you. And to some extent you get to choose the intensity of how your body detoxes, that is, you have a lever you can adjust to slow things down. But ultimately, to be healthy, you have to let the toxins all go, and that may involve symptoms and some pain.

Date: August 25, 2008 04:29PM

Bryan, thanks for the explanation.... No I want this to be over as soon as possible. I am ok handling these detox symptoms knowing it is helping me. I am committed to eating healthier. At least I am comforted to know that my body is working like it is supposed to. I drink distilled water. I read somewhere this is bad. Is that true?
I also take prima cleanse with benzonite clay.
I will admit that my digestive system is sluggish and I don't go daily. I am trying to work on that with taking magnesium.
I just want to get healthy for me and my daughter. This took 40 years to happen and I know it wont happen overnight.

Phyllis

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 25, 2008 07:11PM

Bryan is right on with this. I had weeks when I felt good then weeks when I slept 12-14 hours a day. It was awful during the times when I had to sleep. I got hardly anything done! I have a job, friends, and a life... but I was so tired!

I hope things get better for you.

Read as much as you can about raw and eventually you will find what works best for you.

Also, meditation helps me with anxiety.

Hang in there and let us know how it goes. This is an awesome support forum.

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

"A jug fills drop by drop."

Gotama Buddha

Date: August 25, 2008 07:24PM

Thanks Lee, can you guide me to some good sites about meditation?
I just had one of those attacks that lasted 2 minutes. My arm and leg muscles started burning and hurting and I had back pain. It makes me so nervous even though I have had a full cardiac workup including a cardiac cath, but it is still nerve wracking.
The medication must be stored in the fat I am loosing and in my muscles? Does anyone here have any good web sites I can read on the pathophysiology of detoxing?

I also took this drug for 5 years and stopped completely cold turkey. I guess that plays a role too.

Thanks,
Phyllis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 07:27PM by phylisrn.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 26, 2008 01:05AM

If you send me a Private Message with your email, I can email you more info, but here's some stuff to get you started --

I've been to several retreats here:

[www.dhamma.org]

This site has some good "recommended listening:"

[themiddleway.net]

I have heard good things about this site:

[www.vipassana.com]

Gotta have some dough for these next two, but if you don't have it, just take advantage of the teaser audio on the web sites...

[dharma.org]

[www.spiritrock.org]

Where do you live? Sometimes you can hook up with a class or group.

Lee

"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful."

Gotama Buddha

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 31, 2008 09:54PM

Dear Phyllis,

Hope you are doing better. Please be careful of your mineral ratios, i.e. zinc to magnesium to potassium to sodium, etc. Make sure your doctor is at least checking your liver and kidneys regularly. Detox is the goal, and it's great, but only if your organs can handle it without going septic. Basic blood tests should keep you up on what's going on internally. Drink plenty of water, but not so much you compromise your kidneys. A word about distilled water: some controversy exists as to its being acidifying after processing; some distillers are composed of heavy metal parts, resulting in lead or nickel contamination of the water in distillation. Spring water is good, as is reverse osmosis filtered water, although it is stripped of minerals. A naturopath might advise you about supplementing with a trace mineral solution in the latter case. Try to rest as much as you can, and try to stay positive--you seem pretty fierce smiling smiley Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables