Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thinking about backing away from 80/10/10
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: August 25, 2008 06:38PM

I haven't made a decision, yet, but I'm thinking of ending my 80/10/10 experiment before I've fully completed it. I'd love to hear your opinions about some of my preliminary findings while sampling the diet.

POSITIVES:
* It's easier to eat this way--just grab and eat.

* I seem to have a bit more energy, but I'm not 100% certain about this.

* Foods don't seem to sit too long in my tummy--digestion is definitely more efficient without a lot of nuts and seeds.

* I have learned to enjoy fruits more than I ever did my entire life (I never really cared much for fruits).

* My skin seems to be smoother without the nuts.

* I'm not waking up thirsty from eating too much salt.

NEGATIVES:
* I don't always like to eat sweet foods (but this only relates to the past few days, because normally I would eat things like cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers if I didn't want sweet fruits--the past few days I've been on 100% sweet fruits).

* My body has experienced some sugar crashes, which may or may not be caused by the increase in sugar from the sweeter fruits.

* I have a lump (forget the name of it) in my arm (that's under the skin and can't be seen, but can be felt) that responds to what I'm eating. On more veggies/greens it gets very small, however since I've been increasing fruits the past few months it has gotten bigger (the past few days on only sweet fruits it has gotten big enough to cause some discomfort at times).

* Maybe too much information, but my breasts had gone from fibrocystic before raw to very clear without any lumps at all on raw. Now, however, on more fruit they aren't as clear as they were before I started eating so much fruit.

* My menstrual cycles were irregular my entire life. On raw, they slowly became regulated. I spotted sometimes between cycles, but on higher fruits the spotting is more than just occasional and has been even worse the past month when I've been making even more changes (significantly more fruit and less protein/fats/veggies (other than greens, which I never decreased except for the past few days on only sweet fruit).

* Today I am having a very difficult time focusing/concentrating on a computer job that is in front of me. I feel quite jittery.

* I gained seven pounds on higher fruit.

I can't say that 80/10/10 doesn't work for everyone, because I haven't stuck with it very long at all. I haven't made my decision, yet, but I'm leaning more toward less sweet fruits to see how things change with my body. There's a chance that all of the things I've listed as negatives are some form of detox, but the lumps/cysts coming back after clearing up seems to be a negative sign to me.

What are your thoughts on what I've shared?

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2008 06:52PM by GypsyArdor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking about backing away from 80/10/10
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: August 25, 2008 10:04PM

What was your raw diet like prior to trying the 80/10/10? High fats? Any fruit?

Posted by: ohitsclaire ()
Date: August 25, 2008 11:55PM

the same happened with me on more fruits with the weight... raw is doing weird things to my hormones too... private message me about this and we can talk more if you'd like.

c

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 26, 2008 03:46AM

Wendi,

The jittery feeling sounds like stimulation to me, say by either a toxin your body is trying to remove (so its in your blood stream) or perhaps something in your diet/environment.

100% sweet fruit is not something to do at the beginning of your 80/10/10 journey. Doug recommends eating 3% greens or so, which turns out to be at least a pound of greens a day.

I am assuming that when you ate 100% sweet fruit, you weren't taking supplements or other non food substances, as you will become more sensitive to things that didn't bother you before.

Also, is your fruit organic. Perhaps you are responding to some toxins in the fruit. Also, is the fruit ripe? If you get some unripe fruit, there are toxins in there.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 26, 2008 05:56AM

GypsyArdor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't made a decision, yet, but I'm thinking
> of ending my 80/10/10 experiment before I've fully
> completed it.
I bet you're eating mostly Fruit and Nuts. You're
also probably eating a lot of Fruit by itself. Why don't you
keep the Fat and Protein 'as is', but decrease the Fruit and
increase the Greens until you have a 1:1 ratio of Fruit to
Greens, and see how you feel?.....WY

Date: August 26, 2008 07:30AM

The weight gain may be water bloating. It could be that if you are detoxing, that your body is retaining extra water so that it can keep the toxins diluted as they are coming out of your body. Its hard to believe that this extra weight could be fat given such a short time.

Date: August 26, 2008 01:48PM

Wheatgrass Yogi,

No, I've been following 80/10/10 and have had many days with no overt fats and all the rest with 10% or less fat. I haven't had nuts in about two weeks, or more, and before that it was limited to evening meals and very small quantities. I was experimenting for three days with nothing but sweet fruits, so yes I wasn't having any greens. Before that, however, I was having at least a pound a day. I'm adding greens back in today.

Thanks for your comment.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Date: August 26, 2008 02:14PM

Bryan,

I was doing a three-day all sweet fruit challenge with some online 80/10/10ers. That’s when the jittery feeling came (the third day). . I wasn’t taking any supplements at that time, but I do occasionally take B12 and iron (not all the time, however). I don’t take anything else, other than organic fruits and veggies. I only use organics (except for an occasional nonorganic pineapple) and I am obsessive about making sure my fruit is ripe, so that probably wasn’t the problem. It could have been a stored toxin, like you suggested, I guess. I’ve been 100% raw almost two years, but I’m sure I’m not done healing, yet.

The weight came on over a few months, after I started increasing sweet fruits in my diet. I’m keeping an eye on it. Someone suggested that I was dehydrated before the increase in fruits and that the fruits rehydrated my body. That could be the case, I guess. But, I guess it could also be from detox.

Here's what my diet has been like:

* For the past six months, or so, I've been increasing my fruit intake and getting more serious about 80/10/10.

* For the end of July and beginning of August, I was eating significantly less fat and it was only with my evening meals. I had some days with no overt fats.

* From August 11 until today, I have been 80/10/10 with many days consisting of no overt fats at all. Only one day I went over a tiny bit by mistake, and that caused me to be something like 78/9/13 (can't remember exactly what it was).

So, it's definitely not long enough to give any solid evidence for or against 80/10/10 in my opinion. The bumps/cysts getting big and returning just doesn't seem like a positive thing, though. I can't recall ever reading anything scientific stating that sometimes cysts/growths will come as a way of detoxing the body. I noticed the lump in my arm getting bigger with the fruit, but since I'm always just kind of paying attention to it I wasn't overly concerned. A friend of mine wrote recently that she has fibrocystic breasts and I was so happy that mine had cleared up on 100% raw. Then, I checked and I was sad to see that they actually aren't as clear/smooth as they were before eating all the fruits. :-(

I'm really torn because I had fibrocystic breasts my entire life and it completely (COMPLETELY) went away on the raw diet. No lumps anywhere and it was a very strange thing...they felt foreign to me. Then to check and see that it was coming back after eating more fruit just made it seem like something was going wrong (and still seems that way). I don't see how it could be a sign of detox, but I don't fully understand how the body works.

These lumps usually come about because of hormonal imbalances. Problems with insulin cause hormonal imbalances. This high fruit seems to be causing some insulin problems, even though I am not eating high fat (and many days have none at all). I'm seriously thinking there may be a flaw in Graham's thinking about fats causing the problem with insulin.

I agree that many people develop insulin resistance over the years because of weight issues, what they have been eating, etc., and in this case eating a proper diet can probably bring those people back to a state of health and the insulin problem will disappear. Someone with insulin resistance because of their eating habits and weight may do very well on 80/10/10 and he may be right about that.

However, what if someone's genes cause them to work with insulin in unhealthy ways? From all that I've learned, the insulin resistance I have is most likely a cause of my ancestors not having adequate food--so their bodies learned to store sugar as fat to protect against starvation. Well, in modern times I don't have a problem of starvation and I believe my genes didn't get the message. What if Graham is incorrect in assuming that this can be worked through if a person's insulin resistance is not caused by food choices and weight, but rather a DNA problem? I wasn't overweight or eating SAD for most of my life and I still had insulin resistance. It wasn't until I was older that the weight came on.

It's still all quite fascinating to me, how the body works and the way foods either help or hinder the body's job. After talking with a friend, I've decided to continue on with my 80/10/10 experiment. However, I'm going to cut back on so many sweet fruits and when I do eat them I'll be eating them combined with greens during the same meal. We'll see if that makes a difference. If it does make a difference, it still may point to a flaw in Graham's theory--he says it's the fats that cause a problem with insulin, not the sweet fruits, so it shouldn't matter if I eat my greens separate from the sweet fruits. We'll wait and see.

I still welcome any thoughts, suggestions, observations on all that I've shared. My goal is to be as healthy as possible and to live a long, vibrant life.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: August 26, 2008 03:58PM

Hey there Wendy, how are things? - you seem to be approaching things very erratic it seems to me from what I'm getting from your descriptions. Instead of playing doctor and doing alot of assuming , maybe just e-mail Dr. Graham and try a consult?? Have you read the book yet also?? Don't overthink it so much, yet try to keep more balanced for longer periods perhaps. Things such as all fruit challenges are silly to me if you haven't even learned the diet yet. Going no overts for periods of time for a beginner can be very trying in different ways. Save the experiments for later years and just keep thinking "keep it simple". ;O)

Date: August 27, 2008 12:17AM

Tananwana, my dear friend! You are very wise--I was moving too fast with going from fats, to low fats, to no fats, and then only high sugar fruits.

Here's are my updates on what went on with me today:

AFTER LUNCH: Well, maybe some of what I was going through was detox (at least the jittery feeling and feeling like I can't focus very well), because I'm feeling weepy, slightly depressed, and lonely or something. Don't feel sorry for me, though. These feelings aren't coming from anything going on in my life right now, I'm pretty sure. However, I don't feel like dealing with them. So, this evening's meal will contain something with nuts. It's a choice I'm making, so I feel fine with it. It's not some sort of craving; I know I'm numbing the emotions. Eventually I'll deal with whatever this is, I'm sure, but right now I don't feel like it.

Maybe doing the all fruit was a bit too much after only being low fat for a month, or less.

It's interesting, isn't it? I find all of this so fascinating--and I know one day I'll push beyond all of this and look back and see how beautiful the path was.

AFTER DINNER: Guess what?!! I'm feeling FABULOUS!!! My face is flushed because nuts (and nama shoyu) don't really agree with me much anymore, but I feel so great! I am grounded, able to focus, and I have a mellow feeling that just feels so great after feeling so jittery and erratic the past few days.

I didn't go absolutely crazy with the nuts, but I did eat way more than 10% of my calories. I made sure to eat a whole lot of veggies so that I wasn't filling myself with just the nut dish (in the past, the veggies were only there as a way to consume nut dishes).

Anyway, this sets me back a bit with my 80/10/10 challenge, but I did what I felt I wanted/needed to do for myself.

I can't believe how good I feel! I felt like my mind was all over the place, spinning out of control and I couldn't focus at all. Now I am very grounded and present and feeling "normal" again! The calm feeling started coming on about 15 minutes after eating--within half an hour I was feeling great.

I know tomorrow I'll be able to go back to 80/10/10 with my 10% fats in the evening without a problem. I'll not be going all fruit again for quite a long time! :-P I have learned a valuable lesson with this.

Thanks for standing by my side, everyone!

I love all of you!!!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Date: August 27, 2008 03:25AM

Wendi,

As you may have read before, it took me 2 year to get to 10% fat. But I found eating 20% fat as a starting place was effortless for me. And I was doing a lot of work on my emotions at the time. I am a big fan of going by how it feels, rather than following a form or a formula.

You made a very conscious decision today about how you were going to eat more fat. Most people don't have the consciousness around it, and simply believe that their bodies need fat, not fruit. As you heal your body and continue on your healing process, those underlying feeling and emotions will be sorted out and released from your body and your being. And at that point, it will become more easeful to live on lower fat.

I am very against the use of control to make dietary changes. Instead, use how it feels and pay very much attention to feeling in the body with regards to how foods feel when you eat them, when you digest them, when you detox them, and when you experience the health that is the consequences of your food choices.

The emotional feeling you felt were not necessarily from hormonal imbalance or insulin related problems. When you cut your fat to no overt fats, you lost the insulation or sedation of fats. And you began to feel what is buried deep inside you, perhaps from as long ago as your childhood. And you decided that this is not the time to deal with those feelings, and that's a valid and appropriate decision. Over time, even with eating more fats right now (assuming the fats are not getting to unhealthy levels - say 30% or higher), you will come to process those emotions and release them, and you will then be free.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: August 27, 2008 12:54PM

I am also on 811 recently - the past two weeks. I agree that Graham is not the perfect doctor -- no one scientist or doctor will ever be completely right. After all, he did have a teacher, too, who also had flaws. I've been to his talk boards and I believe he may be a little to confident with his ideas. I wish he would be a little more open to recent humanity and possible other ideas with food. Hm.

There are so many possibilities with people. our past is so strange, and going right down to basics with fruit and greens is so interesting. I'm both excited and scared at the same time to try out these different diets.

The only thing i wonder is ..how long before the conditions that may seem worse or bad get better? Will they? That's the edgy feeling. I find exercise is great for releasing stress..hAha. I can just forget about food for a while and kick some air.

Date: August 28, 2008 04:18PM

Thanks so much, Bryan. I have definitely learned from this--no more all fruit challenges when I'm so new to 8/1/1. Slow and steady has always been what works best for me, so I don't know why I tried something so radical. I appreciate your advice very much. Thanks, again!

iLive, I'm definitely not in a place to answer your questions about how long before conditions get better. As you can see, I'm still stumbling along with 8/1/1 myself. ;-)

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: brome ()
Date: August 28, 2008 06:12PM

Grass juice will relieve the jittery and erratic feelings as it gives you protein in the form of simple amino acids and other needed nutrients. With grass juice you can reduce the need for high fat seeds and nuts, and the problems they cause. Other greens are ineffective compared to grass. Some wild grasses actually taste good.

Date: August 28, 2008 07:11PM

I tried wheat grass juice a few times in the past, but not since I've been raw for a few years. So, maybe it will taste better to me, now.

I'm feeling okay today. :-)

Thanks!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 28, 2008 08:48PM

Posted by: brome - Date: August 28, 2008

Some wild grasses actually taste good.

Can wild grass seed be purchased ? If so where can I get some ?

Posted by: brome ()
Date: August 28, 2008 09:30PM

Here's a company I just looked up that sells grass seed.

[www.larnerseeds.com]

I recommend California Brome. It's a perennial and will give crops year after year. There are two ways to harvest it. 1. just chop some off after it grows up about 9", leaving about 3" so it has leaves to continue growing. 2. let it grow tall, over 18", then chop down to 3". Compost this tough grass. Then after it regrows to 6-9", (it uses stored food from the roots to rapidly sprout) harvest the sweet tender leaves, chew, suck out the juice, and spit out the fiber. California Brome likes cool conditions. It grows in the Central Valley in the winter and sprouts up in the high Sierra just after the snow melts off.

For your area just taste grasses until you find a good one.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 29, 2008 12:35AM

brome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a company I just looked up that sells grass
> seed.
>
> [www.larnerseeds.com]
> d.html

Thanks for the Link. I'm going to order some of
their seed. I live in central FL, so California Brome may
not work for me. However, I may try it anyway since it's
so vigorous.....WY

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 29, 2008 01:15AM

brome -- thanks for the link. ;-)
Another one that looks interesting is the "Golden State Native Grass Mix"

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: August 31, 2008 06:10PM

Wendi, Not sure if you want to try this as you 100% raw but I've discovered the tremendous benefits of Red Raspberry leaf tea to regulate my hormones/menstrual cycles.

I've had horrendous periods since I was young and on modified Raw, I've released growths through my cycle which was an awfully painful experience. I've released at least eight. At first, my friend's wife, who was an LPN, asked me if I might be having a miscarriage because that is what it sounded like. That was not possible. Anyhow, since discovering the Red Raspberry leaf tea a few months ago, I went from 2 periods a month which each lasted about 14 days each with only one week break in between to no period a month, etc. Since drinking Red Raspberry leaf tea, my periods last approximately 7 days monthly. I cannot believe that I haven't had to run to the store to buy another large pack at the beginning of the cycle to have suffient quantity! I am still releasing smaller growths but not like before. I am still bleeding intensely but not as much. Also, for the first time last month, although I was tired prior to the period, I didn't look like and feel like I was being turned inside out. My skin used to turn gray for a day right before my period, it was that bad. I used to have 3 days of intense bleeding wherein I couldn't even sleep well due to the pain. The only thing that would work is holding Reiki so that I could sleep. Last month, I did have to hold Reiki but it was only for one night.

Hope that helps. Therese

Date: August 31, 2008 11:49PM

Therese,

Thanks so much for your response. I'm so happy that the tea is working for you! My cycles have always been all over the place--heavy for some years, light for some, normal, with and without clots, etc. I never had pain unless an ovarian cycst burst. From what you are describing, you might have endometriosis? I've only ever had one growth in my uterus and it has remained small (it hasn't been checked since I've been 100% raw, but I suspect it is either smaller or completely gone). It was always my ovaries that had the problem.

Since raw, my periods are never heavy. They are a nice bright red color, too, not overly dark blood like they used to be. My only remaining problem with my cycles is that I spot between them. On the high fruit, I was spotting every day, which made me wonder if it was a healthy way to eat. However, since I have stopped eating pineapples (which thin the blood), I have not been spotting!! Von Wilebrands Disease runs in my family, so I could have a mild version of that and the pineapple was just making the clotting problem worse, or something. Who knows.

The holistic doctor I've been seeing is overjoyed at the health I've received from eating only raw foods. I have normal cycles (as in every 28-35 days) for the first time in my life (other than when I did a sample of some medicine)! That, to me, proves that raw is what we are meant to eat! Have you ever taken Chaste Berry or Ashwagandha? My doctor suggested I try them to cease the spotting. I bought them both and had headaches for the first three days of taking them, so I stopped.

It's all quite fascinating how our bodies work and how they respond to the things we eat. If my spotting returns without the pineapple, then I'll try the Chaste Berry again, as many have said it helps with such problems. I did try raspberry leaf tea when I was in my 20s, but it didn't work for me at that time. It may work this time, however. I'm going to keep it in mind.

Therese, are you at 100% raw? If not, do you think about possibly aiming for that? I'm asking because I'd love to hear whether the raw diet assists with your healing, as well as the tea!

Thanks, again, for your comment. I really appreciate you taking the time to share and offer help!!

Lots of love to you!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Check out a site I just launched today for the raw food community: www.AllRawDirectory.com

Date: September 01, 2008 02:14AM

Wendi, Conrats on your health inmprovemen and thank for your candid response. I have been examined in the past for endometriosis and for fibroids. I had neither.

I was shocked the first time I released a growth. I didn't even know I had them. I did know that my periods were irregular and sometimes horrendous.

I haven't taken any of what your doctor suggested. I have taken Shepherd's Purse tea and another herbal tea and they helped to bring on the period but they never decreased the flow or regulated me like the Red Raspberry leaf tea. I have also taken birth control which was a total fiasco. I purchased the Red Raspberry tea leaves from a website: [www.bulkherbstore.com]

A friend had mentioned Red Raspberry leaf tea before but I never gave it much consideration until I read the testimonials on that website. Since the mix wasn't available and I read so many positive testimonials on just the Red Raspberry leaf tea itself, I ordered two bags of it. I put a rounded tablespoon in a huge mug and let it steep. Then I strain it and drink. I sometimes put Senna Leaf and or German Chamomile if I have constipation and or need my nerves soothed. I drink the tea twice a day.

I did try Black Cohosh in the past but that didn't seem to do anything.

My step-sister and her daugher have Von Willebrand's. They have a very expensive drug that they take if they need. Since we are not related, I don't have it. We are related by marriage and adoption. I could tell her that Cayenne capsules will take care of it without the expense but since she is an RN, she doesn't give me any credence. However, if you want to take heed, Cayenne will stop the bleeding topically or internally. Get Cayenne pepper and put it into single "O" capsules and take as many as needed to reduce the bleeding. You can muscle test the amount needed. You start with 4 capsules and add 2 more if you muscle test strong and continue to add until you feel weak. Stay with 4 or reduce or increase as the muscle test indicates and then swallow that amount with lots of water. Cayenne pepper can also stop bleeding externally, put it on the open bleeding wound. It will hurt a bit but it will stop the bleeding without the drugs. My friend had a son-in-law who was a bleeder that need to have an operation. Prior to the operation, the doctor told him that he would need to stay in the hospital longer than the normal patient due to his tendency. My friend instructed him to take the capsules days prior to the operation. The son-in-law was out of the hospital in a couple of days rather than the lengthy time originally forecasted due to the Cayenne.

I'm not 100% raw. I range from about 40-50% to 70% depending on the day. There have been times when I was 100% but I backed away due to the heavy detox and my body's reactions. I am aiming for 100% but I need to get my body more alkaline and have a budget which allows this. I will be doing some sort of cleanse in the near future. I think I will do an alkaline water cleanse + continue to drink the Red Raspberry Leaf/Senna Leaf/Chamomile Tea. In the past, I've done the 10 day distilled water fast but recently discovered that I might better benefit from alkaline water and the contined tea drinking.

I do attribute the Raw diet to changes within and without. My brown eyes contine to turn blue. I continue to grow even though I'm in my 40's. I grew 1/4 inch last year (I exceeded the 5'3" mark.) and I know that I've grown more this year. I can tell b/c my pants are shorter than they used to be. Recently, I was finding that I was bent over when I was walking/standing because apparently, I was used to standing at a certain height. Even though I was doing the Yoga, I still seemed to be bent over and I found that I was having difficulty keeping my balance as I was walking. LOL! I have to commend teenagers for all the physical growing adjustments that they make without complaint. As an adult looking back, I cannot remember being off balance, just being very clumsy. I can see now why I was so clumsy if one's balance is thrown off. It's odd growing at my age but it's nice to be taller. Also, my feet shrank and got narrower and my chest for some reason got bigger. Hahaha. Have to laugh as I used to have a boyfriend that wished I had a larger cup and he dumped me. Now who's laughing? My cup size went up 3 cup sizes. So, it wasn't just a mild change. In addition, I had a growth on the underside of my tongue that looked a bit like a wart then it got scaly. I asked my doctor at the time about it and he said it wasn't a wart. Since Raw, it is now back to a small bump. The size of it shrank and there is no scaliness about it anymore.

Also, my friend pointed out that I had hypothyroidism. I wouldn't have discovered it except having changed my diet. He said I was supposed to have all sorts of energy on raw and that I shouldn't be so tired and cold all the time. Since he discovered that condition for me, I am now boosting my thyroid and the puffiness in my face is gone along with the purple shadows under my eyes. I still don't have oodles of energy but for the first time three weeks ago, I was able to instantly recall a number in a stressful situation. In the past, I wasn't able to retain information, especially numbers when under stress. That means I am gaining mental clarity. Realize that I wasn't a ditz but that I just wasn't able to retain much when under extreme stress. It was a revelation to me when the number popped back in my head when I needed it a couple of seconds later. Now I know how people can ace their classes without much effort. I mostly got good grades but I had to work for it.

Hope that helps. Therese

Date: September 01, 2008 02:30PM

Thanks, Therese!

I never heard that before about cayenne. I'm going to keep that in mind!! Thanks!

It's incredible that you've had increased growth! I'd love to get a bit taller!! It hasn't happened for me. Congrats on gaining better mental clarity, too! It sounds like raw is doing wonderful things for your body!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO

Date: September 01, 2008 04:02PM

Wendi, You're welcome.

You can read about Cayenne all over the Net.

[www.zetatalk.com]
Stop Bleeding

One of natures best remedies for cuts (even deep punctures) is believe it or not Cayenne Pepper. This wonderful plant can be grown and therefore no "factory" will be necessary. To use - apply liberally on wound. The wound will form a scab and heal much quicker than with even sutures and with no scarring. Please check out the book A Layman's Guide: Curing with Cayenne by Sam Biser. You might have to call the following number to order 818-503-5980 (not sure it is readily available) I highly recommended for natural healing (and a renewable resource). From the book: Cayenne Pepper medicinal uses: Major benefit - Stops Bleeding (internal or external), Heart attack, stroke, or Shock, Dissolves clots. Minor Benefits - Reviving, Fainting, Dizziness, Weakness, Confusion. Here is an excerpt from the book for an internal use:

Once a child was shot in the abdomen; a bullet hit the spine, ricocheted, and made a second wound leaving the body. One of Dr. Christopher's herbal students living next door heard the shot and raced over. She knew that the parents were not home and that the children, ages eight and four, should not be shooting guns. When she arrived, the eight-year-old was gushing blood out of both his sides. They had been playing cops and robbers with their father's gun which she found under a pillow. She ran to the cabinet and mixed a tablespoonful of cayenne in a glass of water. She then poured it down the boy's throat and called the ambulance which was 18 miles away. By the time you could count to ten, cayenne will stop the bleeding. The emergency room attendant said that the boy would probably bleed to death, being that the distance was so great. The ambulance arrived and rushed the child to the Primary Children's Hospital, 18 miles away. When the child arrived at the hospital, he was the center of attention, not because his condition was so serious, but because he was chatting a mile a minute- and there was no bleeding.

You can experiment on your neighbors, but if I get shot, punctured, or am bleeding to death I hope someone nearby me has the sense to use this wondrous herb. Here is an excerpt from the book for an external use:

Dr. Christopher even used cayenne tincture directly on open wounds. It way sting, but the bleeding stops. Even if the wound is a deep cut exposing bone, that wound may still be filled with cayenne pepper. Many people, when they see the skin ruddied by cayenne, believe that the skin is irritated. But cayenne is a counter-irritant. Cayenne brings the blood to the surface to take away any toxic poisons and start the healing. The redness comes to the skin from the blood that has rushed to the surface to assist carrying off wastes.

Dr. Christopher was probably one of the greatest and most successful herbalist of our time. You owe it to yourselves and your loved ones to study. There aren't going to be any 911 or doctors available. You need to be able to save yourself and your loved ones.

Offered by Carol.

There are two ways of using cayenne - externally and internally. I have personally used cayenne on a cut to stop it from bleeding. It sounds strange, but it doesn't sting at all. You would think that a spicy condiment would burn like hell if you put in on a cut, but it doesn't. And it does stop the bleeding fast.

Offered by Michael.

---

[www.earthclinic.com]

CAYENNE STOPPED BLEEDING INSTANTLY

4 YEA

[YEA] 08/26/2008: Alice from Sierra Vista, Az writes: "I had just read about cayenne stopping bleeding. I had worked to remove a bad tooth from my mouth and did not expect what happened: blood gushing out so fast I was choking on it. I had no idea it would bleed like that. I panicked and dumped probably a half teaspoon of cayenne on the wound and the bleeding stopped almost instantly. I was amazed, but it worked. Like turning off a faucet. The bleeding stayed stopped too."

03/04/2008: Paul from Brisbane, Australia writes: "I wanted to share the excellent result I got from using "organic" cayenne pepper to stop the bleeding on my foot. Yesterday the 04.03.08 I got a cut on the top middle of my right foot about one inch long and all the way through the layers of my skin. You could see inside my foot! It was very unsettling as I've never had such a deep cut before. I'm a regular reader of Earth Clinic and have been familiar with the uses of cayenne pepper for a long time so my first instinct was to grab it and smear in about 1/3 of a teaspoon into the cut until it completely sealed the cut. Let me say that reading others testimonials is one thing but seeing it personally in action was remarkable. The bleeding stopped instantly and only the slightest pain remained. My family wanted to take me to the hospital to get stitched up but my intuition told me that it would be fine. After about ten minutes there was still no bleeding so I smeared a thin layer of manuka honey(Its rating was UHF 30 ) over the cut and covered it with a large bandaid. The next day I checked the cut and it had rejoined and is healing nicely without any stitches required. I cleaned of the gunk from the previous day and applied a fresh thin layer of manuka honey over the cut and thin layer of organic cold pressed coconut oil to keep it free from infection. Much Love and Gratitude to Earth Clinic and all the people who take the time to share their experiences so that the rest of us can be enlightened on the healing powers of Mother Nature! smiling smiley"

[YEA] 08/10/2007: Sue from Montreal, Canada writes: "Hello everyone. This is what I know about cayenne pepper... big zero except that my husband shaves his head and one time he cut himself and like most guys was walking around with a little piece of toilet paper on his head. I remembered reading that cayenne was not only good For my spaguetti sauce but if you apply it to a cut it stopped the bleeding. He did that and it stopped. Another time he did it again and used the cayenne right away and it worked. I don't think I would try it on a deep cut but I know it works on a cut when shaving. Again, I must say this site is really interesting and well made. Sue"
---------
Note: I excerpted the paragraphs in the order that I thought would be most helpful.

[www.healthfreedom.info]

When purchasing cayenne, avoid buying it from the spice department in your grocery store. Most herbs and spices are irradiated, rendering them ineffective medicinally. Instead, purchase a 30,000 to 40,000 BTU (British Thermal Units) or HU (heat units) cayenne pepper from a company which guarantees that their products are not irradiated. As you get used to taking it regularly, you may want to increase to 60,000 or 90,000 HU [or more] cayenne pepper. Start out by taking a quarter teaspoon in a glass of pure water three times a day. After a week, increase the amount of cayenne pepper to half a teaspoon three times a day. The optimal therapeutic dose is one teaspoon in water three times a day. If this is rough for you, try taking capsules with your meals.

When I lived in Arizona several years ago, my great uncle was scheduled for heart bypass surgery the following week. I told him about cayenne pepper. I also told him the value of feeding the heart muscle with hawthorn berries, a natural form of vitamin E and minerals. He had to eliminate all refined sugars and synthetic sweeteners from his diet and add psyllium husks to his regimen since his lifestyle was what had created his heart condition in the first place. He stuck with the program and when he went to see his doctor five days later, he received a clean bill of health and his surgery was cancelled. The cayenne pepper was the most important aspect of his regimen that led to the immediately positive results he achieved.

Cayenne pepper should be in everyone's first aid kit. If you have a severe cut which is bleeding profusely, apply cayenne pepper, a powerful styptic, directly into the wound. The cayenne will equalize the blood pressure and start the coagulating of blood immediately. It is a powerful disinfectant so there is no need to worry about infection setting in. My family has been using cayenne in this manner for years and, as a result, take what others consider miraculous results for granted.

Cayenne can also be used in conjunction with CPR in the event of a heart attack. For this application, mix a teaspoon of cayenne in a small amount of water and pour it down the patient's throat. This is a sure way to revive the person and is much more successful than CPR alone. People with heart and blood pressure conditions should consider incorporating appropriate amounts of cayenne pepper into their dietary regimens.

Good luck. Therese

Date: September 01, 2008 11:51PM

WOW! Thanks so much, Therese! I just read this all out loud for my daughter, as well, so that she can have the knowledge should the need ever arise!

Lots of love to you!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Date: September 02, 2008 03:44AM

Wendi, You're most welcome. smiling smiley Therese

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: September 02, 2008 01:03PM

Why do you think insulin issues leads to hormone problems? I had major hormone issues years ago but insulin was never a factor.

Date: September 02, 2008 07:43PM

Rawtastic, It has been studied and understood by scientists. Insulin resistance causes hormonal imbalances. It's not the *only* cause of hormonal imbalances, however.

Here's a little excerpt I grabbed from a page on PCOS, when I did a quick search just now:

"Insulin Resistance, which can cause PCOS in two distinct ways.

First, Insulin Resistance reduces the insulin sensitivity of you cell walls. Glucose has to pass through those cell walls to be converted into energy. Insulin assists this process. But when the cells wall have become de-sensitized to insulin by Insulin resistance, the process can break down.

Glucose "bounces" off the cell wall, instead of passing through the insulin door to be burned as energy. With the cell door almost closed to it, glucose remains in the blood stream, causing elevated levels of blood sugar, which are sent to the liver. Once there, the sugar is converted into fat and stored via the blood stream throughout the body. This process can lead to weight gain and obesity, key factors in creating Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

The second way that Insulin Resistance causes PCOS is by raising insulin levels in the blood stream. Unhealthy lifestyles and genetic conditions cause the pancreas to overproduce insulin. The de-sensitized cell is, in turn, overwhelmed by this excess insulin and an excess of insulin "rejected" by the cell then free-floats in the blood stream, creating unbalanced hormone levels in PCOS sufferers.

Excess insulin stimulates the ovaries to produce large amounts of the male hormone testosterone, which may prevent the ovaries from releasing an egg each month, thus causing infertility. High levels of insulin also increase the conversion of androgens (male hormones) to estrogens (female hormones), upsetting a delicate balance between the two and having a direct effect on weight gain and the formation of cystic follicles or cysts in the ovary."

Source: [pcos.insulitelabs.com]

======
I have insulin resistance, which is why I was questioning the 80/10/10 diet and how it's affecting my body. I've put on weight after a few years raw, when the only thing that has changed is that I'm lowering fat and increasing fruits. I was wondering if the fruits were causing a problem with insulin because of my weight gain, but also because I was spotting a lot between cycles.

I hope that info helps explain what I wrote that.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 28, 2008 01:03AM

I like mixing 80/10/10 with GREEN SMOOTHIES

That might help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables