Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Not Hungry
Posted by: phylisrn ()
Date: August 25, 2008 11:49PM

I am not hungry should I still eat or is that the SAD way of thinking?
I had only lunch today and I have no appetite.

Thanks
Phyllis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not Hungry
Posted by: Choco ()
Date: August 26, 2008 02:10AM

It's really important to insure that you keep your blood sugar and energy up on a daily basis regardless if you are hungry. Sometimes we don't "feel" hungry but our physical system needs nourishment regardless, just to get us through the requirements of our busy days. This is especially true if you have a stressful demanding job you need to be on point and alert for, an active family you need to keep up with, or if you are a physically active person with a regular rigorous exercise routine.

What I would recommend for those occasions when you feel you have no appetite is to to just have a super green powder mixed with water a few times a day, or to drink some green juices throughout the day. Greens offer highly energetic mineral and vitamin boosting power without the filled-up feeling of a meal.

If you are feeling ill or are under the weather, avoiding food is prob best till you feel like eating again. I tend to sip ginger tea with agave or stevia and lemon and say in bed. winking smiley

PEACE.
Choco

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: August 26, 2008 04:04AM

if you're not hungry don't eat.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 26, 2008 04:41AM

Drink! juice or something or maybe even consider a water or juice fast. perhaps your body is trying to tell you something. pay careful attention to how you feel, your energy level and clarity etc.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 26, 2008 05:35AM

Phyllis,

If you are sick, then don't eat. In fact, the best thing to do is stay at home and get plenty of rest and sleep.

If it were me, I would get quiet and go inside and see what my body is asking for. When I am hungry I eat. And when I am not hungry, I don't.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 26, 2008 10:18AM

Opinion:

-One should not be 'reactionary' to one's body. Determine WHY you are not hungry: this could be emotional....or you may indeed be ill. In any event, you could then CHOOSE not to eat for a period of time....until hunger returns. In any event, NOT eating is probably not a sustainable lifestyle (for most!). So: when you are done VOLUNTARILY fasting....then even if your appetite is blah.....then at least eat small meals of juice or fruit or whatever your favorite is....to keep up your metabolism. Power to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Misery's Fence ()
Date: August 26, 2008 11:15AM

When I first went raw, I lost my appetite, too. I figure that for the first time, I was really nurturing my body by giving it what it needed, so I was satisfied with much less than when eating SAD (i.e., quality over quantity). My appetite eventually came back, after I got used to eating this way.

Unless you are ill, or have some sort of medical condition such as diabetes, etc., you're probably OK not eating, or eating much less, for awhile. You might feel better if you check in with your health care practitioner. :-)

Miz

Posted by: phylisrn ()
Date: August 26, 2008 02:56PM

Thanks everyone, I do feel better and I have a appetite this morning smiling smiley)
I am being followed by my doctor. I also have lsot 50 lbs in 2 months eating 50-75% raw, so I thinki my body is also going hrough some kind of shock phase!
I currently weigh 244lbs so I am not starving if I miss a meal or two!
Thanks for your help,
Phyllis

Date: August 26, 2008 06:10PM

Excellent. Just an informational side note (opinion): water-fasting is a great way to heal and cleanse....but a poor way to lose weight in the long run....as it lowers the metabolism.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: August 26, 2008 07:17PM

david

regarding your statements about metabolism ...

what makes you think what we need to "keep up" our metabolism?

do you really mean metabolism? or energy?

what is the evidence that fasting "lowers" the metabolism?

metabolism is simply the net of anabolism and catabolism.

do you mean there's less anabolism permanently after fasting?

do you mean that food is required for energy when not hungry?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 26, 2008 08:23PM

I would not eat if you are not hungry, unless many days have gone by and you feel that your nutrition is lacking. Then I'd force a few bites of something healthy, like greens or sprouts.

Date: August 26, 2008 10:51PM

Fresh:

What I mean: my observation/opinion/perception is that people who stop eating......or have eating disorders...where they stop eating....tend to lose weight initially (sometimes drastically)....then they gain all the weight back and more when they go back to their original eating regime (usually rather quickly)....because their system has 'geared down' to try to conserve fuel...so to speak. It appears to me that such yo-yo'ing seems to work far less well then a steady increase in the quality and frequency of healthy foods eaten.

-My own experience of weight loss followed this particular pattern. I seemed to lose weight far more reliably by allowing the thermic effect of food to burn calories all day by eating small......low-calorie...high-fiber...high-water content meals....all day...perhaps 6 times per day....rather than simply skipping meals (and feeling deprived!) Heh..heh.

-Just my experiences/opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: August 26, 2008 11:17PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fresh:
>
> What I mean: my observation/opinion/perception is
> that people who stop eating......or have eating
> disorders...where they stop eating....tend to lose
> weight initially (sometimes drastically)....then
> they gain all the weight back and more when they
> go back to their original eating regime (usually
> rather quickly)....because their system has
> 'geared down' to try to conserve fuel...so to
> speak.

sure. i just wonder whether it has anything to do with metabolism

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: August 27, 2008 12:08AM

The food that is in the process of digesting, several meals worth of food, seems to weight 5-6 pounds. So when people stop fasting they quickly gain this weight back.

So what does fasting do to metabolism?
In Bragg's book on fasting he said that he improved his underweight sister's metabolism by a series of fasts. I think that this was because of the cleansing that happened.
[www.google.com]

He also helped a movie star loose the weight she had gained from emotional overeating.
[www.google.com]

Interesting bit in Braggs fasting book about why cows are given salt licks: the more salt they eat, the more water they drink and the more milk they give. Horses and sheep are also given salt, so it's not just for milk production.
[www.google.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables