Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: My Poor Constipated Toddler....Help!
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: August 29, 2008 12:09AM

no recipes for sprouted bread here, unfortunately, though theoretically, ezekiel bread comes from a recipe found in the bible- i've never looked for it.

we don't do grains, not even sprouted, b/c my sensitivity to gluten is so severe.

the grain thing is what brought me to raw foods (i tried to go 'gluten-free' but eating SAD style, and found it only gave me partial relief from my physical problems. including severe constipation among other, stranger reactions) going 85% raw 95% of the time, and 100% raw 5% of the time taught me about how well my body responds to many foods. raw smoothies, salads and fresh fruit for 2 months? GREAT. add back rice or cooked veggies- two days before i feel bad.

okay- confession, as i type this my boy is on his bed nursing his stuffed duck and burping it. his monologue goes something like "duck hungry, here duck, milk. mama, duck drinking milk. oh ducky, all done? burp ducky. burp ducky like sabbath (the little girl in the pics). no crying duck, go to sleep."

off for the night-

peace-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2008 12:19AM by Mama Cass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: veggie_mom ()
Date: August 29, 2008 01:34AM

Oh what a sweet little boy you have! Is sabbath your little girl's name?

That's really crazy how badly gluten affects you! I am familiar with the Ezekiel bread and the actual bible story so if its not too difficult I think I'll try making it for myself. What does SAD stand for?

Now I'm off for the night. I'll check the thread again tomorrow.

Goodnight!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: August 29, 2008 02:53PM

SAD-Standard American Diet

I am learning as Mama Cass did (adorable children, btw smiling smiley...). I am learning more about what my body can handle. Gluten must be hard on me too. After eating it I feel like I am dragging my legs around. I don't eat much Ezekial bread, I definitely feel less than optimal after esting it. The kids still want it. It takes them longer to let go of old foods. Fresh fruits and veggies are the best.

I have made raw sprouted bread before, raisin. It does not taste the same as bread. My kids think it tastes like dirt but two out of three liked it. I have made raw apple bread that was good, and sprouted crackers. I used my dehydrator to make them. I would think a cooked sprouted bread recipe would be easy to find.

Date: August 29, 2008 03:18PM

You know overall I feel pretty darn good health wise and have tons of energy. I am pretty much a vegan and have no trouble at all eating grains. But, maybe that's just adding to my daughters troubles. I must admit though I love cooked food and don't know how you all do it. I thought being a vegan was a commitment, but being a raw vegan, wow! Kudos to everyone who does it!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 29, 2008 05:36PM

Posted by: veggie_mom - Date: August 29, 2008

I must admit though I love cooked food and don't know how you all do it.

I wouldn't be surprised if most raw vegans are a lot like me and don't like cooked food as much as I like feeling good. I sometimes struggle with cravings to eat SAD but I resist them because I don't want to go back to where I was before I found raw. Before raw I felt like I had no energy and feeling good was just a fading memory. The experience of going from there to where life feels good again is a powerful force in my choosing my foods more carefully and making the right choices so that I continue to feel good. Its amazing to me that something as simple and everyday as what I eat can have such a profound effect on my health & wellness. I like feeling good so its a lifestyle choice I gladly make. Your daughter isn't old enough yet to understand how her choices can effect her health & wellness. I sure hope that she gets past her health challenges soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2008 05:39PM by EZ rider.

Date: August 29, 2008 07:02PM

I had the additional motivation of healing my daughter as well as myself. Right away I started craving raw more and more and just replaced my old foods with new foods. Even though a lot of foods weren't "new" to me I had never eaten them as a meal before and after mono eating grapes or watermellon all day I get a high that I never had on cooked foods. I find it very easy to stay high percent raw now.

Date: August 29, 2008 11:09PM

You guys are so inspirational! I'm really glad you found your happiness and peace in such a wonderful lifestyle decision to go raw. I too hope that Jada's problems with constipation will soon be a thing of the past forever!

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: August 30, 2008 12:43AM

my happiness and peace aren't from eating raw-
but i do find them easier to maintain when everyone feels good.

my husband swore for years that wheat and gluten and grains didn't make him feel bad.
then he stopped eating them.
and he could notice the difference.
some people do very well on them, but bowel issues are usually a sure sign that the grains are behaving badly in one's body...

now my husband does raw vegan in spurts, but he'll never look at food the same way again.

and i have to say, my raw vegan hubby smelled and looked very lovely. winking smiley

Sabbath is my little girl, and Gabriel my boy. it took a while to name them both, but we're sure we got the right names. oh, sabbath often is called shaboom, b/c we called her Shabbat Shalom, and Gabe renamed her Shabbat Shaboom. it works.

peace-

Posted by: pAL ()
Date: August 31, 2008 06:59AM

Hi veggie mom,
It stands to reason that anything, roasted, toasted, baked, dried or fried: especially nuts, seeds and grain flours found in breads, cookies, cakes, chips, crackers, dry cereals, pasta and roasted nut butters, draws fluid for digestion from interstitial reserves. There is not enough moisture in the stomach during digestion to totally hydrate dried foods’. By the time they reach the intestines they are still ‘thirsty’ and will continue absorbing moisture in the intestines where they make a sticky, gooey mass that the peristaltic action of the bowels has difficulty moving along—as clearly evidenced by abdominal discomfort and toilet hygiene during defecation.

Whole raw foods provide sufficient fiber, moisture and enzymes to keep intestines healthy and moving regularly. (Wipeless BM's) Baked, dried or fried foods extract body fluid, as evidenced by our dry, wrinkled skin and excessive thirst, especially after over eating them.

Soak all nuts, seeds or dried fruit over night.
Double the water recipe for cooked grain cereals.

pAL

So what is so bad about eating processed grains? And what constitutes a processed grain. Is whole wheat flour a processed grain. I've always known to stay away from white flour products, but if its whole grain/whole wheat I thought that was good. Jada loves bread products (especially whole wheat pasta and whole wheat crackers)

Date: August 31, 2008 05:14PM

Thank you so much for all that information. That makes total sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Date: September 03, 2008 10:15PM

I was wondering how your girl is doing. I hope she is better.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables