Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how does raw eating affect hormones
Posted by: PocoLoco ()
Date: August 27, 2008 11:49PM

I just started this about 5 days ago, trying for ~80% raw. After about day 2 I started to notice that I was having hot flashes, and I didn't have them before on my mostly-all-cooked diet. FWIW, I am 49yo female, health issues include frequent migraines, messed up sinuses, lethargy, and need to lose ~30 lbs.

Otherwise I feel fine on this diet other than bored with the food and a bit anxious that boredom and/or sudden low blood sugar will cause me to eat the wrong thing. It is difficult, starting this and not being prepared with tasty raw dishes (I'm not the type to go very long on just plain veggies and fruit). But getting off topic here...I was curious about the flashing.

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how does raw eating affect hormones
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 28, 2008 12:22AM

Sounds like regular detox to me....with the added caveat that you might already (for all I know about female works) be undergoing hormonal changes due to age and/or previous lifestyle. You can just add the hot flashes to the list of regular detox-type reactions. This is just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 28, 2008 12:45AM

I am 28 and I had the hot sweats as a detox. It should go away in a few days.

Eat some sprouts and lots of greens. Can you get flax crackers or something to tie over or transition with?

Date: August 28, 2008 04:40PM

thanks for your replies. : -)

I have some 50/50 flaxseed/borage oil at home (cold pressed). I can try that but it may not have as many of the lignans as actual flaxseeds so I'll have to shop for some of those. I also have some Manna bread.

On a related note, the personal agreement that we all agree to in order to particpate here, mentions that newly raw folks are "sensitive." Was that a reference to something physiological that affects our psyche this way? The reason I ask is because of some off-character moodiness and extra sensitivity I've been experiencing in relation to the people in my life. I don't understand how eating raw could bring that about--is it a side-effect of detoxing? Or have I misinterpreted the sensitivity remark?

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: August 28, 2008 04:57PM

Dr Rozalind Gruben did a wonderful talk about how being raw brings your emotions to the surface (and sometimes causes you to backslide)

I found this to be very inspiring if you have a little time to listen to it:

[video.google.ca]

Sapphire

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: August 29, 2008 04:50AM

No, it does make you emotionally sensitive! I am convinced of it, when I am really 100% raw I am crying everyday.... what it is exactly I couldn't tell you, but I think it has to do with the dulling and grounding effects of cooked food. That can be a good and bad thing. Myself, I kind of like it but its hard to live with isn't it!

Date: August 29, 2008 05:08PM

yeah...seems like cooked food is like a mild tranquilizer or something.

Posted by: Misery's Fence ()
Date: August 29, 2008 06:28PM

Interesting topic; I too am at the age where my "female stuff" is all out of whack, and I'm curious to see what nearly 100% raw does in that regard. Will it regulate my cycles (which are now anywhere from 2 to 10 weeks long)? Or, considering that it's natural/normal for a woman my age to be experiencing this, will a natural diet not have any affect?

My sweetie would like to have children, although my gynecologist said my chances without fertility treatments are "virtually zero." This might become even more interesting research down the road (assuming we don't travel *so* far down the road that Mother Nature makes that choice for us, permanently

Miz

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: August 30, 2008 01:08AM

Unbalanced hormones is what brought me to raw.

My daughter's hormones were all over the place. Her doctor put her on oral contraceptives to balance out her hormones. That just made things worse. When her prescription ran out, her hormones became more out of whack than before. So synthetic hormones were not a cure. Instead, we discovered that other women who also quit Yasmin ended up with adrenal fatigue, hypo thyroid, and estrogen dominance. My daughter had all the symptoms of those disorders which she didn't have prior to taking the pill.

About 13 months ago, my daughter and I turned to raw. We are slowly seeing an improvement. Her cycles are now coming every month and lasting less days than her normal 6 to 7 days. This past cycle only lasted her 2-1/2 days.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: September 05, 2008 04:02AM

I used to be bipolar - raw foods make me so much more balanced and stable than I ever was... Of course I still rely on certain raw foods to comfort me (o;

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables