Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

wondering about kids at school
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: August 28, 2008 11:06AM

I am wondering how you guys handle your kids hanging out with others who eat SAD? How about school lunches? How does the vegan child 'fit in', is there ridicule etc?

The CPS thread made me think of this question which might possibly come up for me in the future. Do your raw or vegan children naturally decline SAD food if offered?

I loved what I read in Campbell's book - CHina Study. He tels this story of his young son: when being asked the typical question - what DO you eat? He said: plants.

Love it. Herbivore smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wondering about kids at school
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: August 28, 2008 03:30PM

The other kids eat the grapes I send with my son :-) I did lunch with him one day and his friend was asking me if I could send more so he could have some everyday.

In one of the Boutenko books they mentioned that they were scared of what the kids at school would say about their food, but all the kids wanted to do was taste their food!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 03:36PM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: August 28, 2008 04:00PM

My kids tell me they are known for having the best lunches at school, and complain that too many people beg them to share.

But...

My son won't take tubs of salad or veggies like the girls do. He needs it to look like a sandwich, so he prefers a wrap. Not totally raw, but still a pretty good choice I think. Some things are too weird, like nori sheets, so they don't like to take those, but the fruits are always a big hit. (You know how restaurants have those little individually packaged salad dressings? I bought a ton of those and put them in with salads or else with veggies to dip - it isn't raw, but it does entice them to eat a lot of raw stuff.)

Since my kids aren't totally raw, they take stuff that isn't raw also. I'm not crazy about it, but now that they are in high school, I can either find a compromise and send at least a partially great lunch or get used to the fact that they will be going across the street for french fries and gravy with their friends. (and wash it down with a "nice" cold coke - b-l-e-c-c-h-h-h-h !!!!)

When my kids were in elementary school they used to laugh and say the other kids would always offer to give them the fruit out of their lunches because they didn't want it - hilareous! When I worked at the elementary school lots of those little kids brought lunches with little tubs of strawberries or cut up cucumbers or red peppers or whatever - I don't think the kids will feel out of place at all.

Sapphire

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 28, 2008 09:34PM

Yeah, it's not 'til they little beings "grow up" and are defensive about their addictions to poison that they become nasty about it... It's not the kids who are a problem. :\

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: August 29, 2008 06:34PM

Thanks for all your posts, folks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables