Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Maple Syrup and Powder, etc.
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 30, 2008 01:26AM

Hey. It's not possible to have raw maple syrup, is it? I see raw establishments and a few uncookbooks using it, but I don't find it to be raw and haven't seen it raw yet. Anyone?

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maple Syrup and Powder, etc.
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 30, 2008 01:28AM

It is not raw. The people who make those raw recipes are often not raw themselves, and view their recipes as a transitional tools to help people move away from cooked foods into raw foods. As such, they are an excellent starting place for people.

Dates are a good replacement, or if you need a liquid, soak your dates and blend them when they are very soft.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 30, 2008 01:45AM

Yeah, I don't feel the need to replace it or anything. I just noticed it's used by a few people and also by restaurants and it's labeled "raw," which isn't very ethical, in my opinion.

I guess if I really want to try a recipe with it, I'll use raw agave or yacon.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 30, 2008 04:05AM

you know, you can tap a maple tree and get raw sap. it's clear and not so sweet though, not concentrated like syrup. probably pretty great for you raw i'd imagine. pure tree blood, wow.

(i'm pretty sure agave isn't truly raw either btw.)

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 30, 2008 01:04PM

Right. I agree with the great posts above. Look beyond the word 'raw' (which is thrown about by anybody looking to market something) and think: 'fresh, unprocessed fruits and vegetables). The fact is, if it came in a package (other than a shell or a skin) than its not raw! LOL.

-You COULD also grow your own sweetener like Stevia....which apparently the Japanese have been eating for like 30 years. I have no experience with this yet, but you can get seeds no problem:

[www.burpee.com]

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 30, 2008 07:18PM

They sell stuff at Trader Joe's and Wholefoods that is labeled "ALL NATURAL" and it looks like orange styrofoam packing peanuts. It comes in colorful plastic bags.

I was in Borders the other day looking at recipe books that had the word "RAW" in the title. I came across a few that had ingredients and directions that involved boiling or involved processed foods.

Buyer beware!

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

"The trouble is that you think you have time."

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: September 05, 2008 03:59AM

I use maple syrup sparingly in recipes for flavor. Being Canadian, it used to play a more predominant role in my diet. It could easily be substituted out for agave, you'd have all the sweetness and only be lacking the maple flavor - which you may be okay with. Maple Syrup is also loaded with minerals when you choose a dark variety. I know there are many raw foods loaded with minerals, just trying to express it is not all bad. The point is to eat the raw foods that you are comfortable eating... you will likely progress in time.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables