Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

getting hungry at work
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 30, 2008 06:17PM

hi guys, i`ve been back to work for a week now and i`m having a hard time taking enough food to keep me satisfied. i`ve been doing all fruit because last year i did salads every day and i got bored so i wanted to try something different. any suggestions? i start my day with a green smoothie. then i take a bag of grapes or a whole watermelon (small one) a couple pears or plums or kiwi and thats about it. the fruit except the watermelon i`ve taken whole because i don`t want it to start oxidizing.
patty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: getting hungry at work
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: August 30, 2008 06:36PM

When I take watermelon, I cut it up to make it easier to store but I cut it in big pieces that I cut up further when I eat it. Sometimes I will take a salad or take a smoothie that I put in the fridge at work.

Are you a teacher? It's back to work time for teachers and back to school time for students. If so... please avoid the cafeteria! smiling smiley

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

"May all beings be happy."

Date: August 30, 2008 06:49PM

i`m a teachers assistant...smaller private school so no cafeteria so i don`t have to battle that thank god!
patty

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 30, 2008 07:50PM

Finding all-raw food / raw meals that are satisfying....on a regular basis...and being comfortable with it...is EVERYONE'S challenge! Ha! ha! As one's diet is always evolving....this is a non-static process.

-The FIRST thing is to make sure you are eating ENOUGH foods. It's hard to be unhealthy eating TOO many apples....or too much romaine...heh. If you are eating enough calories...and getting enough nutrition....then hunger is not a physical issue - but an emotional one....as I'm sure you know.

On the practical side:

-If you are into dried fruits or nuts....you could always dehydrate your own fruit snacks....or just munch on almonds or sunflower seeds.

-On the basic level, there are 100's of varieties of fresh cut veggies or whole fruit. These sorts of things can be eaten straight up.....with little prep....in as great a quantity as you wish.

-With some added prep, there are some great all-raw and mostly raw sauces and spreads that you can make. Fresh salsa or guacamole are the most obvious choices. Some make their own nut spreads (not my thing).

-There are a variety of interesting recipes and items. You could make portabello mushroom caps stuffed with sprouts, sunflower seeds and drizzled in lemon juice & garlic.

-A simple recipe is to make your own spicy slaw. Shred nappa or other mixed cabbage into a bowl. Grate fresh carrot. Add ginger or garlic or whatever flavor you want. Add lemon or lime juice.....and fine grate either jalepeno or whatever spicy pepper you prefer. Top with sunflower seeds or fine chop your nut of choice for added crunch.

-You could pick up a Spirooli and make zuchinni noodles with al-fresca spicy tomato sauce...topped with mushroom slices. Eat with chopsticks! smiling smiley

-Any of these items can be prepped in advance and tossed in a container to bring to work. Just some added tips to try.

-On a personal experience note, before I was 100% raw....I found it easiest just to pack up about 5 lbs of my favorite assorted fruits that I had stocked up on (apples, bananas grapes or berries were most common)....and toss it in a plastic shopping bag.......then I'd stop on my way to work and pick up a pre-prepped fresh, large spinach salad at my local grocer (Publix) and I'd toss it in the bag too. All the ingredients were raw, and I could easily top with fresh nuts....or sprouts.....and a lo-cal dressing like Balsalmic vinegar (which I loved at the time). I kept the bag in my desk drawer at work....and committed to ONLY eat from the bag all day long! It was a real life-saver....and easy going. Everyone always wanted to know what fruit I had in the bag THAT day! Ha! ha!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2008 07:52PM by davidzanemason.

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: August 31, 2008 07:07PM

i dont eat all day at work, i find that once i start to eat, that it

triggers hunger.

like if i have some fruit in the morning, it triggers the hunger for more and

more fruit. i dont know why. its like it spikes my blood sugar or something.

so i wait to eat until dinner, then i have a big fruit feast.

but i guess it would be unrealistic for most people to not eat during the day.

it just makes me feel better and have more energy when i fast during the day.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 31, 2008 09:34PM

dewey,

Maybe consider taking a packet of raw shake with you? When you're feeling peckish, put it in a screw-top Thermos with some clear water in it, shake it up, and sip slowly as with coffee. If it's a good raw shake mix, it'll be high enough in protein, fat, and fiber to make you feel sated and energized. Or make your own by mixing raw acai powder, raw algae powder, and hemp seeds whirred in a coffee mill. If you take along a Thermos of clear water and maybe a small jar of raw agave syrup[to lighten the flavor a bit] with you, you can add the dry stuff to it when you're hungry, and proceed as above. I used to be a preschool teacher, and missing meals; that is, calorie intake, really screwed up my metabolism. I mean REALLY. If I'd known then what I know now about staying fed and watered throughout the day, well . . . I'd be alot healthier! Good luck!

Date: September 01, 2008 12:00AM

pineapple girl-i won`t not eat during the day. my caloric intake is low enough as it is and after school half the time i have gymnastics with my daughter or football with my son so i don`t get home til anywhere between 730 and 9 on some nights so theres no way i could make that work smiling smiley plus i get crabby if i don`t eat when i`m hungry and when working with kids it`s just not a good thing to be grumpy LOL.

david- i know it`s not emotional it`s hunger from lack of calories. i love all your tips...i copied them into my health folder, thank you so much

tamukha-thank you for the shake suggestion smiling smiley
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables