Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Living by example... CATCHES ON! YEAH!
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: September 02, 2008 07:41PM

Anyone here who has been raw for a while and wandered down the path of making suggestions to other people, probably learned how quickly that can build resentment and/or start arguments. tongue sticking out smiley

So, the thing to do, is to live by example. It's like planting seeds. Or, at least, that's what a lot of people have said here for the months I've been reading, and it frustrated the heck out of me, when transitioning to raw was causing friction in my relationships.

Basically, what I have learned, is to NEVER speak about raw, unless you are asked. Manage conversations with grace, and, "I have plenty of books and websites with great information--if you are interested, just ask me for them." (If pressed by others, postpone further conversation to an optional, serious, interest-only setting. This approach cannot be argued, and you will NEVER be the source of conflict. It gets boring to even the most argumentative souls. Tried and tested!)

Another great trick is to leave books all over the house, in plain sight. Never mention them--people will get curious, read them, and then, they are making the choice to read about it on their own. This works wonders! ^.~ (Thanks to my raw roommate for this one.)

My dad used to give me a hard time about being vegetarian--not that he wouldn't let me do it, but always teasing. He loves to make vegan jokes. He made them about my vegan cousin years before I stopped eating meat. But, he's seen me thrive on raw, eventually got a vegetarian girlfriend... and he's vegetarian, now, too. Which is great for him, because his dad had heart problems. (Although he will probably always make vegan jokes. tongue sticking out smiley )

Going raw resulted in a series of arguments for MONTHS with my boyfriend. Even when I stopped arguing with him, he still had a lot of problems with me being raw. His mom and grandfather are diabetic, he is at least 50 pounds overweight, and there are mornings I have watched him eat breakfasts of grape soda and sausage. He is also the most stubborn person on earth.

My boyfriend's mom has also been working very hard at losing weight this year, but she still drinks a lot of diet soda and some other SAD things. I gave her some websites about raw food (just as suggestions), but she just said she could never do it.

When I did my Great Watermelon Feast in July, everybody watched me do it... and all said there was no way they could do it.

Lo and behold, my boyfriend came to me a few weeks ago (his best friend is at least 100 pounds overweight and having serious problems because of it), and said he wanted to try a melon cleanse when we go away to his trailer for the long weekend. I was shocked, but encouraged him.

And then... HIS MOM TAGGED ALONG, TOO! They are on the 6th day today, going for 10. (I had to quit after 3 days... HAHAHAH, hey, I did 10 days in July.) We spent the weekend camping, and with the three of us eating melons, even my boyfriend's dad, and some of the neighbors were so impressed. They were all genuinely intrigued, and may try it one day for themselves. ^.~

But now, finally, my boyfriend is starting to take 100% HIS OWN initiative to care for himself. He's cutting back on the sugar, cutting out white bread, eating more fruits and veggies. He's also slowly asking me some "uncomfortable" questions about the factory farming industry, and starting to read labels on food!

So, you never know how the things you are doing today will inspire someone tomorrow. And with all the positive spirals in the universe, once you start making the effort to do good things for yourself, more energy comes back to lift you continuously upward.

For my dad, it was probably seeing his vegetarian girlfriend that tipped him to make the choice. Likewise, with my boyfriend, it was seeing how a SAD diet impacted his friend, and with his mom, just seeing her son try made her want to tag along on the cleanse, too. But I was always in the background, just doing my thing, having to hear all these people say for the longest time, "Oh, I could never do that," or, "You're crazy!"

So, you never, ever, ever, ever know what the future holds. ^.~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Living by example... CATCHES ON! YEAH!
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 02, 2008 08:16PM

That is a wonderful story, phantom, thanks for shareing it.

Date: September 02, 2008 09:07PM

Aw, that is such a cool story smiling smiley Love the idea of a family all eating melon!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 02, 2008 09:09PM

Great Phantom! Consciousness and being are always communicated.....often without saying anything. For instance, often times some one will very very angry....or want to argue......and you listen.....and pay attention....and just say, "I hear you." Later, even people that were very rude or mean will come back and apologize later. smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 02, 2008 11:12PM

omg OMG!! such an amazing story, i am seriously tearing up over here. YAY YAY YAY!!

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: September 03, 2008 03:57AM

Yeah!!!!!

Phantom, my parents sent me this email last week:

"OK, Kiddo. If we are going to live long enough to see our granddaughter get married and have great-grandkids...how do we do this?"

good gracious, i think my chicken-fried parents are going raw!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: September 03, 2008 04:02AM

Wow, Phantom; what a great story!

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: September 03, 2008 05:33AM

That is so great, what a wonderful story.

Now I'm gonna live in eternal hope that one day my opinionated family will one day see the light, haha!!

Sapphire

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 03, 2008 08:02AM

hey phantom

your post seriously made me smile BIG time smiling smiley

how beautiful
is all i can say

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 03, 2008 03:26PM

With the ripple effect it is impossible to say how many lives you have affected.

Great job!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables