Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does Raw Broccoli affect your thyroid????
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 04, 2008 10:50PM

I have been reading about cruciferous veggies is, do they suppress the thyroid when eaten raw?

Most articles or info in books just state that we need to cook cruciferous veggies because otherwise they negatively affect the thyroid. This article is very odd, but it's the most comprehensive I've come across so far. It implies that all cruciferous, whether cooked or raw, are not good in large amounts:

"At low concentrations, the goitrogens in cabbage and other crucifers inhibit the uptake of iodine by the thyroid gland; this effect can be overcome by an increased dietary intake of iodine. At high concentrations, however, these chemicals inhibit the incorporation of iodine into thyroid hormone. In this case, even the iodine that makes it into the thyroid gland cannot be used; dietary iodine therefore cannot overcome the effect of very large amounts of crucifers" (Gaitan E. Goitrogens in Food and Water. Ann Rev. 1990; 10: 21-39.)

What "very large amounts" of cruciferous veggies means is not clear.

Here's the whole article:

[www.westonaprice.org]

Anyone know any truth to this?

Thanks for the input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Raw Broccoli affect your thyroid????
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 05, 2008 12:44AM

nanners Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It implies that all
> cruciferous, whether cooked or raw, are not good
> in large amounts:
Who would want to eat them in large amounts,
cooked or uncooked? Veggies, and Greens, with high water
content are fine in large amounts. Broccoli and Cauliflower
are too Fibrous, and Cabbage is bitter....WY

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 07, 2008 11:50PM

I've not had any problems with broccoli but I don't eat lbs of it either. I know that seaweed b/c of the iodine (+) and soy (-) affect the thyroid.

Therese

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 08, 2008 02:16AM

Yeah, not an issue because you can't eat much of it raw.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 08, 2008 02:17AM

Wheatgrass yogi and nanners,

Bear in mind that cruciferous veg include, but are not limited to: kale, all common cabbages, Chinese greens, and chard. There aren't many "greens" left if these are omitted, truth be told. Lettuces, for example, are low in many vitamins and in anti-cancer sulforaphanes. Also, and curiously, goitergens are found in comparable amounts in soybeans, peaches, pears, and spinach. There is some evidence, nanners, that supplementing with seaweed, especially dulse and alaria[wakame] can be beneficial. Also, the consumption of dates, raw seeds(yay!), parsley, and apricots helps to stabilize the thyroid. We only need trace amounts of iodine, and an excess[>750 mcg daily]can prevent secretion of thyroid hormone, which is just as bad as . . . a deficiency due to overconsumption of goitergens. It's a fine balance, as they say. I just try to not "overdo" the greens--kale and white cabbage juice by the small glass only and not every day--and hope for the best.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: September 09, 2008 11:01AM

What about if lettuce is eaten a lot? I am on the 80/10/10 and it says to eat mostly lettuce as green consumption - but also vegetables like tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, etc.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 09, 2008 12:06PM

iLIVE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about if lettuce is eaten a lot? I am on the
> 80/10/10 and it says to eat mostly lettuce as
> green consumption

I have a Raw Friend who practices 80/10/10.
She grazes on Lettuce all day long. I think it's a good
'balance' for the High Fruit Diet....WY

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: September 10, 2008 04:44AM

Lettuce is not a crucifer, so eating loads of it should be fine. I just had a juiced head smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables