Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how can I check for nutrient deficiencies?
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: September 06, 2008 11:11PM

I went to a hosptial last week for a few things. I asked about a blood check to check for nutrient deficiencies. The nurse told me that the doctor said there's no way to check for nutrient deficiencies. Well, there is, don't know why they said this.

So, I pose this question to you. How can I check for nutrient deficiencies?

I first thought a blood check would be the way. Then I thought that it would only be a recent indicator, not a long term indicator. Meaning, if I have been eating an imbalanced diet for years and years, but just recently started getting more balance, then a blood check wouldn't show the long term history.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how can I check for nutrient deficiencies?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: September 06, 2008 11:25PM

LOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I thought the people at my doctors offices were idiots. In your case, the dr probably just didnt want to do it because it was unrelated to whatever you were there for. He should have told you to talk to your regular doctor about that.

Blood tests. Calcium, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, B12, K..most common ones..all can be tested via blood.

Easiest way is to go to a new general practice type doctor and just say you haven't had blood work in years and that you want to make sure nothing is deficient or anything.

Or the second easy way is to order your own lab tests from a website like directlabs.com or healthcheckusa.com ....but you usually have to pay out of pocket for these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2008 11:26PM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: Quest for Peace ()
Date: September 07, 2008 04:46AM

Hair tests can help, too, for the longer-term deficiencies.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: September 07, 2008 11:26PM

Spectracell Laboratories does an awesome comprehensive nutrient profile.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 08, 2008 08:05PM

Your right about Spectracells test and it really is affordable and complete. Much easier than taking different blood tests. Little hard to find a doctor that does these tests - however one company sells it online. I ordered mine through www.wellprovitamins.com and it was super easy to do.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: September 09, 2008 11:15AM

They do have people that specialize in blood work. Ever seen "You are what you eat"? It's on BBC and I've seen a guy on there do blood tests. So I would talk to more then one doctor to get more information. Or go to canada or the UK, haha. If you become a citizen, it won't cost anything either!

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: September 11, 2008 03:01AM

Thanks all. I'll go to a doctor and get the tests done. I checked Spectracell Labs but I live in South Korea and there's probably no way to make it work without paying through the you-know-what.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables