Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Weekend relapse
Posted by: Kit ()
Date: September 08, 2008 08:12AM

I started the weekend having Indian food that some folks from India cooked for some friends and me. They made it lovingly and they really wanted us to enjoy. I thought I could handle it.

I think I was wrong because it ended up leading to more SAD food over the wkend.
Result:
coated teeth that brushing doesn't quite fix
dirty feeling, dull skin on face
a temporary crabby, intolerant disposition
lead in my gut
intermittent mild nausea
foul taste in the throat
a want for bad food that is unsatisfied when I eat it

Oh yeah, this is starting to feel like old times.
The good news is now thanks to this website, some reading and some experience, I know how to get out of this.

I can quit eating for a while then have some fruit - maybe I can find some quality melon or nectarines etc. and get back on the horse of mostly RAW.

I'm posting this in case there might be other relapsers out there who might want to be reminded they can turn it around. Er, am I the only one?

Kit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weekend relapse
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 08, 2008 10:49AM

Posted by: Kit , Date: September 08, 2008

Er, am I the only one?

Your not the only one. I think most everyone who is successfully raw slips at some point and fights to get back up. I did. I slipped last June and I got up by just dogged perseverance. After I had a bite of cooked food it was like I stepped off the path and found nothing but quicksand to put my foot on. For some reason that I havn't figured out yet their came a point for me where I couldn't eat even one bite of cooked food or I was no longer able to stay 100% all raw. I want to stay all raw because I realize that their is no life in dead, cooked food and I don't want to compromise by eating some raw and some SAD. The good news is that I have experienced a steady reduction in the desire for cooked food since I succeeded in returning to all raw. However I still get an occasional weak craving for SAD but I know that if I yield to that slight craving the cravings will come at me fast and strong and its easier to just say no thanks to the weak craving. I'm glad you have your eye on the ball and I hope you make it OK.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: September 08, 2008 12:16PM

Yeah, I'm one of them. I thought that this summer would be an easy time to be raw, but winter (in New England) was actually easier because I've been traveling this summer and eating out a lot. I eat maybe 50% and feel really crappy as a result:

<coated teeth that brushing doesn't quite fix
dirty feeling, dull skin on face
a temporary crabby, intolerant disposition
lead in my gut
intermittent mild nausea
foul taste in the throat
a want for bad food that is unsatisfied when I eat it>

Same exact symptoms, and sluggish, achy gut, and headaches when I don't have coffee. So today, as much as I am craving the dreaded french fry, I am intending to wean myself off coffee and start my day with a green smoothie, then eat only from my garden and fridge for a couple of days. Or maybe just fast -- I can't decide which. I'll probably fast in a few days because I have some great produce that I do not want to go to waste. I've only gained 5 lbs, so I want to do this now before I get any fatter! So lets DO it!!!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 08, 2008 05:47PM

Posted by: Sundancer , Date: September 08, 2008

I've only gained 5 lbs, so I want to do this now before I get any fatter!

When I 'slipped' last June I didn't eat anything non-vegan. I just added a cooked item to my day (it started as just A baked potato) and then the cravings came on fast and strong and I added other cooked foods and more baked potato and what really got my attention was how fast my pants got tight and uncomfortable. I could see myself moving rapidly back toward wearing my old "fat man" pants. I knew I didn't want to go there again and also I was not feeling right health wise See your list and raise you feeling crappy.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: September 08, 2008 06:13PM

Kit, Think of it as nice come back instead of a relapse. My opinion: Focus only on the facts that you figured ot what works good for you and what makes you feel strong. I think of this wholw thing as a process. I do eat Indian food at restauants and I understand what you mean. The value here (I feel)is that you knew exactly what works. Thats great and thats what will help. Just my thoughts.

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: September 08, 2008 10:50PM

It's not a big deal...maybe you need to slow down with the changes you've made. Of course you can still progress...but if it gets turned into an all or nothing deal, then it will ultimately be more stress--which is less healthy! As people talk about in the orthorexia thread.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: September 09, 2008 12:17AM

Even a face plant is forward motion.

Posted by: Kit ()
Date: September 09, 2008 01:08AM

Thanks for support and comments everyone.

What I mainly posted for was to say it's good to know how to get back in the direction I (or anyone else) want/s. I could feel old sad symptoms creeping in but, unlike before, NOW I'm better able to deal with it.

Today after resting my digestion I had some fruit and later some salad and I feel better physically but even more better mentally because I'm experienced enough to handle 'slip-ups'.

The terms relapse and slip up may not be best but they are close to what I felt.

I was hoping to throw a line to any new or other people who may, as I used to, feel devastated when they veer off course. How's that - "veer off course"? After all, I think part of this site is about support - I know it has been a source of support for me.
Thanks EZ rider, Sundancer, anuiyer7, rost0037 and Lee_123 smiling smiley
And don't give up when you veer, Kit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables