Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

milk
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: September 17, 2008 03:41PM

Think it would be smart to compare what a cow eats full grown vs. what it got from it's mother's milk?

Does anyone have any links to comparison charts of what an animal's diet is compared to what it's milk diet is?

Obviously goat milk and human milk are the same - but that doesn't mean drink the goat milk, it would mean eat like a goat. Haha.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: milk
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: September 18, 2008 12:16PM

iLIVE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Think it would be smart to compare what a cow eats
> full grown vs. what it got from it's mother's
> milk?
>

Cows eat grass.. nutritiondata.com has a profile on lemongrass which might be useful.. [www.nutritiondata.com]

For data on cows milk.. [www.nutritiondata.com]

What do you think?

Date: September 18, 2008 04:01PM

haha I think lemon grass is pretty different from what cows eat. Doesn't even have to be a cow. I'm just curious as to what animals eat compared to their original milk, and what that might say about their future. It could be a lost thought.

Date: September 18, 2008 08:43PM

No joke.. re: lemon grass.. "The exhausted grass is used to feed cattle". [www.holisticshop.co.uk]

Nutritional data on grasses has been hard to come by in the past. Lemon grass is the only grass listed in the nutriondata index.

If you prefer wheat grass data, Dole has come out with this: [www.dolenutrition.com] ,but I doubt many farmers are serving their cows wheatgrass juice.

Regarding mature cows diet vs. their milk you will find the macronutrients (carbs, protein, fat) to be very different. Fiber content is also vastly different. The milk content would presumably be of benefit to BOTH the mother and calf.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 19, 2008 12:13AM

I am not sure how helpful this information might be.

The bovine GI tract and nutritional needs in infancy and adulthood are different, as they are in humans.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: September 19, 2008 12:27AM

One difference is that baby humans need more iron than baby cows. Baby humans get iron deficiency that stunts their growth (and they never completely will catch up), even if given raw cow's milk instead of mom's milk. That's why formula changes a bunch of things from the base. ---I believe the same is true for goat's milk. Different species, different needs.

Date: September 19, 2008 10:26PM

rost0037 Wrote:
> One difference is that baby humans need more iron
> than baby cows. Baby humans get iron deficiency
> that stunts their growth (and they never
> completely will catch up), even if given raw cow's
> milk instead of mom's milk. That's why formula
> changes a bunch of things from the base. ---I
> believe the same is true for goat's milk.
> Different species, different needs.

I didn't know that about the iron.. also baby humans need much less protein than calves due to much different growth rates.

Domesticated calves are weaned early and given formula as seems to be common with babies.. it seems to me quality of fatty acids could be given more attention in the bottle feeding thru young childhood.

From "Nutritional Requirements of Nonhuman Primates", p. 89: "The fat in milk gives perhaps the best indication of the relative importance of different fatty acids...

"Milk fats of several Old World nonhuman primates (including five different macaque species, African green monkeys, Talapoin monkeys, and the sooty mangabey) have been reported to have a fatty acid composition similar to that of the fat in human milk (Buss and Cooper, 1970; Jensen et al., 1980; Smith and Hardjo, 1974a; Smith and Hardjo, 1974b; Wolfe et al., 1993)." [books.nap.edu]

Date: September 21, 2008 04:15PM

there are tons of studies that show the protein in cows milk is linked to the autoimmune disease type 1 diabetes in infants who are fed it

I read that in "The China Study"..summed it up of course
everyone should read it, it's goood

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 21, 2008 04:52PM

loeve Wrote:

> "Milk fats of several Old World nonhuman primates
> (including five different macaque species, African
> green monkeys, Talapoin monkeys, and the sooty
> mangabey) have been reported to have a fatty acid
> composition similar to that of the fat in human
> milk.

so the best substitute for mama's milk isn't cow, goat or any kind of formula, it's... Monkey Milk! bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Date: September 27, 2008 02:23PM

coco Wrote:
> so the best substitute for mama's milk isn't cow,
> goat or any kind of formula, it's... Monkey Milk!
> bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

So if we tag a line with a "bwah ha ha" we can write almost anything?

Nonhuman PRIMATE milk for humans would not be vegan.

Don't let your children go to school talking about "Monkey Milk"!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables