Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bread...Bloating and indigestion?
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: September 25, 2008 01:40AM

Hey again,

So I'm 4 days into raw. I ate banana smoothie for breakfast, watermelon for lunch, strawberries for afternoon snack. So far, so good.

I came home and had raw squash ribbons with jarred marinara and 2 slices fresh rye bread.

I felt fine until I and hour or so afer I ate the bread. I'm all bloated up and have indigestion and nausea.

I was already vegetarian with only egg or dairy in something I might have bought, (not ingested as "dairy or egg foods).

Is that going to make transitioning easier? I'm doing the eat 30 days being comfy with my choices and not stressing over food. But heatburn stresses me out. (ugh)

I feel like I have to eat not 100% raw on purpose.... throw something in I may not want to eat to make detox less horrible...but it might feel better than this heartburn. (ugh, ugh)

Maybe I should cut out wheat and try a potato or something unprocessed? Wow I just thought that up all by myself!

Whatcha think????
Oh, by the way did I tell you lately that I love you all?? <3

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bread...Bloating and indigestion?
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 25, 2008 04:10AM

yes potato or steamed veggies a better idea...

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: September 25, 2008 04:44AM

it sounds like the non raw foods and food combinations
are causing as much or more pain than detox would

do you think so?

is it possible the marinara has salt that may contribute to the bloating?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 25, 2008 04:45AM

Sounds good! Remember that eating raw is just a 'toolbox'.....not ONE PLAN. Heh..heh. Experiment: when you eat ONE food in a day.....and see how you feel at the end of the day.....you'll get a good idea of which foods cause you discomfort (heartburn or digestive problems).....and which ones do not. The great leg-work of a transitioning healthy eater is to regulate their own detox (which it sounds like you are doing) by transitioning slowly......setting small goals (with timetables) and eating heavier or lighter raw/transitional foods depending on the level of comfort. Detox should be a challenge.....but not painful. smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 25, 2008 10:21AM

You said "fresh" bread - was it raw/dehydrated? I'm confused.....

Date: September 25, 2008 01:24PM

Fresh baked from an small organic bakery, as in not Wonder Bread.

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You said "fresh" bread - was it raw/dehydrated?
> I'm confused.....

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Date: September 25, 2008 01:26PM

Fruitgirl Yep there was sodium in the sauce.

David I never thought of eating one food for an entire day. I guess that would be the best 'elimaination' diet to see what bothers me.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: annex ()
Date: September 25, 2008 02:38PM

I was vegan before I went raw. I thought that might make transition easier, and maybe it did, but looking back I just think it meant I detoxed a lot quicker, but it seemed more intense. Who knows, we are all different anyway. For me, cutting out wheat was the best thing about going raw. I ate so much of it... bread, pasta, etc. that now I am sure I had a wheat addiction. (Even when I think about it now my mouth still waters, unlike any other cooked food.) I wouldn't be the least bit surprised you were right about bread being the culprit.

Even though I follow a low fat diet now, nuts were essential in those earlier days.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 25, 2008 03:39PM

Bread is bad news for alot of people.
Avoid it entirely,as no bread is raw that isnt made from just sprouted wheat and dehydrated.
Sprouted wheat/dehydrated bread might not cause you any problems,but dont expect it to taste anything like commercial breads.
Brian

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: September 25, 2008 03:45PM

im so glad you're interested in mono'ing
its really amazing

i wonder if you'd be up for a day or two of all melons
hopefully it will be a different experience with nothing
else before or after in your system to mess with it

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 25, 2008 04:57PM

ooooh-
the bread thing.

i spent 5 years being told bloating, joint pain, extreme facial swelling and intestinal agony were in my head. it wasn't until i stopped listening to the doctors and started paying attention to my body that i realized that not everything was making me sick. but anything but fruit and yogurt and veggies was. once i cut out bread, i figured out how my body could stabilize and be healthy and content. i stopped having allergies, patches of excema, and severe mood swings, and my hormones stabilized. (going raw improved a lot of things, but getting off of gluten changed my life)

if you have a gluten-intolerance, all of the major functions of your body could be affected.

i used to crave bread, learned to bake it at 7 years old, it was the last food i could imagine giving up. i haven'te eaten it for 7 years now. i never got tested for celiacs as i would have to consume it again to test positive, and my lifestyle is just not going to work like that. i think a lot of people are going to find they are gluten-intolerant if they start paying attention. 1 in 133 people are testing positive.

sounds like you're well on your path to discovering what works for you!

peace-

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 25, 2008 04:57PM

double post-

peace-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 05:05PM by Mama Cass.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 25, 2008 09:05PM

Wendysmiling,

It could just be mixing cooked and raw. Also, as a few mention, bread that isn't sprouted, no matter how organic the ingredients, is very difficult for the body(any body, not just celiac) to digest. The amino sequence in glutenous grain is very, um, persistent--it wants to make a new grain seed, by God! Combining this feisty chemical mess with a raw produce food, which digests ever so fast, would probably cause gastric distress. Try eating a slice of that rye waaaaaay after any raw veg or fruit, and see if it's as bad a reaction as before. Also, maybe make yourself a raw marinara for your squash and see if that isn't easier on you. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables