Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thai coconuts..are they irradiated? And if so, does the radiation cook the inside?
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 25, 2008 03:09AM

If thai coconuts are irradiated then why do all raw fooders use them in recipes?

Would radioactive rays make the meat dead? or just the outside?

Is there an expert in here?

Ok if they are, does the radiation penetrate the flesh inside or does it just kill the bugs on the outside?

//

In 2005 the Tree of Life stopped using Thai coconuts in their food because they said that and they were also soaked in some sort of poison too..

Any EXPERTS?

(I am having an orthorexic attack!....)

/
(I also apologize if this has been answered already)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thai coconuts..are they irradiated? And if so, does the radiation cook the inside?
Posted by: paragon1685 ()
Date: September 25, 2008 04:26AM

I know the issue of irradiated coconuts has made numerous
appearances on this message board over the years, and I'm
not sure if there was ever a definitive answer? (Maybe
someone can help us out here?)

But as for the soaking coconuts in poison, yes that is
true. That's because the coconuts don't come nicely
shaped and lily white in Nature. No, they are cut
down to size from what is a basketball-sized pod into
the little ornamental white coconuts you get at the
store. (We all know what happens when you cut into a
piece of fruit and let it sit for a while: it turns
brown. The same goes for coconuts when they cut into
the pod.) So they soak them in poison to make
them all nice and white and so that they stay that
way.

Now whether or not that poison seeps through the shell
and into the meat and liquid, and/or how much does, is
debatable. Here again, I'm not sure there has ever
been any definitive answer on this board for this
seeping-poison issue.

Steve
[www.meetup.com]
[www.rawgosia.com]

Re: Thai coconuts..are they irradiated? And if so, does the radiation cook the inside?
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 25, 2008 02:15PM

Suvine--
Suncloud might know if you send her a pm; she's an anti-irradiation activist in Hawaii.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: September 25, 2008 06:23PM

suvine Wrote:> (I am having an orthorexic attack!....)

That's cool, may we all be blessed with orthorexic attacks!

Look at it this way, there is liquid inside and nothing is getting out so would anything get in. But you could also test this by putting food coloring on a coconut and letting it sit for a month and then opening it up and seeing how far the food coloring penetrated.

(I'm not talking about the irradiation, just the poison that they are dipped in.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 06:29PM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: September 25, 2008 07:33PM

I recall reading a couple of years ago on another forum that someone did test the coconuts with food colouring to see if the food colouring would seep into the coconut flesh and it did. I haven't tried it myself and this is just second hand info that I read on a forum

Date: September 25, 2008 08:33PM

I think the seepage would depend on the length of
time exposed to poison. Are these coconuts dipped
in the poison for 30 seconds? Or do they soak in
the stuff for an entire month?

There's a big difference, obviously, between what
could happen inside a coconut for 30 seconds of
exposure and what could happen after 30 days of
soaking. (It's probably somewhere in between...
hopefully closer to the 30 seconds.

Steve
[www.meetup.com]
[www.rawgosia.com]

Date: September 26, 2008 02:44AM

I wouldn't soak them for a month, I would apply it and then let them sit for a month to represent shipping time and time spent on the shelf.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: September 26, 2008 10:33AM

then again people have been using them and I don't think anyone is deformed from it

Date: September 26, 2008 01:18PM

To me, the bottom line is that if you're not growing
your own food, you're relying on someone else to
provide you with it. And the safety, and quality,
of that food isn't always going be known.

For strictly, 100%-Raw-Organic eaters, you'll probably
want to stay away from the young cocunuts.

But for people who eat some (or a lot of) cooked foods,
junk foods, alchohol, etc, I'm guessing these coconuts
aren't much worse than any of that stuff.

Steve
[www.meetup.com]
[www.rawgosia.com]

Date: September 26, 2008 02:51PM

I your young coconut budget is hundreds of dollors then you can get some from these people that are free of everything. The interesting though, is that they don't mention ANYTHING about them being irradiated, so I guess that doesn't happen to coconuts or you know they would mention it as a selling point:

[www.genefitnutrition.com]

Young Thai Coconuts - Products

Taste the difference! The only strictly untreated young Thai coconuts in the entire US - now CERTIFIED ORGANIC!

In 2004, GeneFit Nutrition was the first company ever to introduce strictly untreated young Thai coconuts into the US market. Three years later in 2007 we are proud to announce that our coconuts are now the only certified organic coconuts in the entire US!

The problem with conventional coconuts:
As young Thai coconuts have become a highly commercialized product, the use of large quantities of fertilizer, pesticides and herbicides is omnipresent on exporting farms. In addition, coconuts are treated with post harvest treatments such as bleaching agents, fungicides and preservative to survive the 3-week boat trip to the US and still arrive with weeks of shelf-life thereafter. Without treatment, the fiber of the coconut will get reddish brown within hours after husking, the fiber is prone to mold and fungus development and the water will ferment naturally within a few days at ambient temperature and 2 to 3 weeks under refrigeration. These natural processes can only be prevented with the use of chemicals which often leave a bitter after-taste.

Our alternative:
• Young Thai coconuts, grown on organically certified farms (free of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides)
• Maximum freshness with weekly harvest and weekly shipments
• Pealed by hand and polished to remove all fibers down to the hard shell in order to skip the conventional post-harvest treatments (chemicals, heat, freezing)
• Flown in overnight allowing no time for mold and fermentation,
• Sold/shipped within 48 hours upon arrival in the US.

To order now, please click on one of the options below or call us to place your order over the phone at 1 (866) EAT PURE

Wholesale Packages Local Pick-up and Mail Order

1. Young Thai Coconuts - 15lbs (weight per piece: 0.5 to 1.5lb)

CA/NV/AZ Fedex Ground - $3.95/lbs - $78.55 s/h. incl.:

Other States Express Mail - $3.95/lbs - $138.33 s/h. incl.:

2. Young Thai Coconuts - 31lbs (weight per piece: 0.5 to 1.5lb)

CA/NV/AZ Fedex Ground - $3.85/lbs - $147.29 s/h. incl.:

Other States Express Mail - $3.85/lbs - $248.33 s/h. incl.:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2008 02:53PM by Lillianswan.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 26, 2008 03:39PM

thank you so much!!

No more purple thai coconut flesh

coconut futures
Posted by: sunstar ()
Date: October 06, 2008 03:06AM

Since the ultimate purpose of dietary proclivities is sustainability and connection to Nature in some manner we must take into account that foods shipped from thousands of mies away become a bit of an issue.

After using over 30,000 coconuts I picked myself from tress in Hawaii mostly

I find anything else a bit of a stretch although shipped coconuts are excellent for intruducing one to the exemplary fruit.

In the end the goal is realizing the need to create hundreds of millions of more trees in tropical areas which will harbor them.

I personally sought out over 5,000 sprouted nuts and made certain they were planted in auspicious areas

And i did this while being a full time professional photographer traveling and writing.

One of the greatest joys of coconuts is having that most incredible seed break open a hard mature nut and sinking roots into the beach or hillside.

What pray tell is the value of a living foods lifestyle if we have to import all of our foods from enormous distances with the price of oil what it is . Common sense says that is not sustainable financially or ecologically.

Still I value the availability of coconuts for they demonstrate something . I have been using at times over 20 coconuts day as an active athlete and living foods person and none were ever purchased..

Will you commit to planting a coconut tree (try to begin with one that is sprouted).

Elan Sun Star
Hawaii

www.sunstarphoto.com

1. [web.mac.com]
2. [web.mac.com]
3. [web.mac.com]
4. [web.mac.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 06, 2008 05:29AM

I heard that the radioactive material used to irradiate foods kills anything that isn't protected by a shield that is made of lead or something. You could ask the person doing your dental ex-rays what the protective shield is made of.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: October 06, 2008 12:47PM

I love coconuts but I won't eat them unless I'm somewhere where they grow (which isn't going to be any time soon :{.

coconuts
Posted by: sunstar ()
Date: October 06, 2008 05:29PM

Coconuts!

Yes coconuts that are husked wont stay white and pure looking even 1 minutes they oxidize right away like an apple would..and turn brown ..so white thai coconuts have been affected and since they are re agricultural import there is another reason they are treated.

I tried some back in february after returning from 3 moths in New Zealand when i had not returned to Hawaii and the whole foods stores care them
I had about 4 and had-no adverse results. but did notice a definite taste not common with young coconuts

Also young coconuts dont last even with the full husk on-them The triple eye formation where most people insert something to-open their coconuts initially (I use a machete for 40 years now when opening nuts) that triple eye formation :. is not impermeable and bacteria-can travel within a few days into the shell and turn it into beer.. (coconut beer) nature biodegrades immediately as part o the system of composting and sugars ferment immediately especially coconut water one Also when many coconuts are young and they are harvested any bumps or falls from tree will crack the delicate shell and open it to fermentation within 18 hours...

But if you take the same coconut or even the odler coconut and mix it with kefir grains or acidophilus powder from vege source it makes the bast coconut keefir or yogurt or thick creme.

I must say coconuts are worth a whole community of them Buying them is neither sustainable or really fresh. They take care of themselves given decent conditions but with love and sea water or any compost they thrive.

All the the coastlines even s far other as california and florida can grow SOME varieties and they dont have to be coastal plant I have read about 50 books on coconut cultures and studied a lot at the University of Hawaii botany department on the varieties.

have had coconuts like malaysian coconuts that weighed in at 9 pounds and the water was 3 pounds of water!!!
Certain trees germinate almost 99% Some trees the nuts dont germinate at all in nature. proliferating the germinating types would lead to a super strain that was-adaptable

Remember Demand MUST = supply otherwise there is a demand-and then importing them from 3000 -5000 miles away (or more)

In Hawaii I was amusingly called Johnny Coconut-seed as I planted over 5000 trees over 40 years...
but I am to a fanatic n this.
traveling as a photographer and windsurfing and surfing photo-journalist and writer meant being adaptable....traveling...

When I was on an island 40 miles north of Honduran mainland with white sand beaches and dolphins in shallow warm water my raw food vegan golden retriever was spoon fed on coconut 3 times a day and that was where eI initially began opening coconuts..they were not even used there.

My friend owns 10 square miles of a tropical island there

Coconuts (young and a little older) can make thousands of raw dishes and are worth the creation of some organic localized farms

It would be a great cottage industry. ALL of central america is game.

Belize and Panama and honduras and literally millions-of acres are potential arenas for n industry including Brazil. etc.

Elan Sun Star
www.sunstarphoto.com

elansunstar@Yahoo.com

Date: October 06, 2008 07:52PM

I'm confused... are we talking about the coconuts still in the green outer shell (which is a nightmare to cut through!) or those blocks of white coconut wrapped in cellophane (typically found in asian supermarkets)?

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: October 07, 2008 04:24AM

suspendedindefinitely Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm confused... are we talking about the coconuts
> still in the green outer shell (which is a
> nightmare to cut through!) or those blocks of
> white coconut wrapped in cellophane (typically
> found in asian supermarkets)?

I always thought that they were the same thing. If you cut the green "skin" off, isn't it white underneath? I am curious about this. I've never seen the green coconuts.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: October 07, 2008 04:51AM

Sunstar, have you ever eaten a Forest Coconut (endemic to Madagascar)?

Also have you ever seen a coconut crab eat a coconut?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables