Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

are "organic" almonds pasteurized with propylene oxide?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 26, 2008 02:46AM

i am unclear about this, and i have been eating so much (organic, Rejeuvenative) almond butter that i am freaked out. i called and emailed Rejuenvenative but have not gotten a clear answer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: are "organic" almonds pasteurized with propylene oxide?
Date: September 26, 2008 02:52AM

what do mean you haven't gotten a clear answer? they either do or they don't right. a reluctance to answer does not bode well in my mind. insist that they give it to you straight! those stinkers.

Posted by: Big G. ()
Date: September 26, 2008 07:54AM

Yes,

It is a pretty simple yes or no answer.

Maybe they are scared to get that word out?

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 26, 2008 10:48AM

I'm not familiar with propylene oxide. Is it good to eat ?

Date: September 26, 2008 01:09PM

with a name like that how could it be?

[en.wikipedia.org]

doesn't look like something i would want to eat.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 26, 2008 02:03PM

According to Dr. Mercola, and also this article (below), it's race car fuel, and it's been banned in a number of countries as very likely carcinogenic:
Racing Fuel on Your Almonds?
Thursday 11 October, 2007 Written by Amy Galland
Shop Smart. Shop Safe.
More proof that you can’t trust a product label to tell you the truth.

As of September 2007, most “Raw” almonds will actually be “Dead,” either sprayed with a potentially carcinogenic gas, or boiled to the point of being un-sproutable.

Last spring, the Almond Board of California mandated that all almonds grown for North American markets must be pasteurized. Oddly, the FDA has allowed these pasteurized almonds to be marketed as “Raw,” even though there are significant nutritional differences between raw and pasteurized almonds.

When you consider the benefits of truly raw nuts and the toxic chemicals used in the pasteurization process, this mislabeling is more than deceptive – it’s downright toxic!

Organic almonds will be pasteurized using steam treatments, but for “conventional” almonds, the FDA has approved oil roasting, blanching, steam processing and – most disturbing – fumigating them with propylene oxide (PPO)

Of all of the pasteurization treatments that kill the enzymes and chemically alter the nutritive value of the almonds, PPO raises the most cause for alarm. PPO is recognized as a possible carcinogen and is banned in many countries including the EU, Canada, and Mexico. PPO was used as racing fuel until it was banned to protect drivers and fuelers…but according to the Almond Board PPO residue is safe for human consumption.

And as the manufacturers are not required to label the almonds “pasteurized”, neither are they mandated to tell you by which process the pasteurization occurred. Thus, unless you purchase “raw” organic almonds, you very well could be consuming a carcinogenic chemical!

So why all this effort to cook 80% of the world’s almonds?

In 2001 an incident of salmonella poisoning was attributed to eating raw almonds. After a second case in 2004, the Almond Board decided to pre-empt any potential lawsuits by pasteurizing every almond they grew.

This is all a bit strange, as both cases were traced back to large processing plants – bringing into question not the safety of raw almonds, but the dangers that abound in unsustainable industrial farming practices.

Consumers aren’t the only ones affected by this decision. In order to stay in business, almond farmers will be forced to purchase expensive systems for pasteurizing nuts ($500,000 minimum).

Growers had requested an extension of the mandate from the Almond Board and the USDA in order to find the best processes for pasteurization and in the hopes of ameliorating the ruling – but their request was denied and as of 1 September 2007 any “raw” California almond that you don’t purchase directly from a farmer, will be cooked.

Posted by: jdc5390 ()
Date: September 28, 2008 12:31AM

Thats down right stupid. The people obviously want raw foods. If they want to cook it thats exactly why we have kitchens! How about the government stop interfering with all that is right and leave it to beaver! Lol Im considering moving out of the United States the way things are going. 500,000 dollars to buy a stupid pasteurizing machine in which nobody wants anything pasteurized to begin with! Wow Bush let me tell you, You Did It. Your the man, finally the stupidest president we have ever had, Thanks man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables