Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Having Trouble With Veggies
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: September 29, 2008 01:00AM

This is day 7 of raw for me. I'm naurally drawn to fruit. It's easy, yummy and doesn't need anything to compliment it. I'm kinda scared of being a frutarian. I read bad things about it, and that diabetics should not do it. My diabetes has been in the normal range by diet for the last 5 years until they put me on cortisone which raises the blood sugar. It's still gotta be better to eat fruit than snickers bars, right? I also read it inhibits digestion, which is weird because mine is mormal in the last week for the first time in 6 years.

I wanted to eat "dinner" to night. Since going raw I have had marinated mushrooms, raw squash w. spag sauce(not raw), and a raw veggie juice today. That is the extent of my veggies for a entire week.

I feel confused about how to prepare them so they are tasty to me. This makes me feel stupid. I am trying eat peacefully for 30 days as suggested. The thought of eating only salad as my veggies is kinda creeping me out. I think it must be a mental block or something. Why would I have to only eat salad? Off to the recipe section...

I bought a cucumber ( don't really like them but thought I'd give it a try again)
Tomatoes I also don't like raw, but they juiced nicely
mushrooms
squash
red leaf lettuce
carrots
bell peppers

These are my veggies this week. I wanted to try kale but forgot to get any. It's not appetizing to think of chomping them plain. Veggie stress level...rising.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Having Trouble With Veggies
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 29, 2008 01:13AM

Hi Wendy,
I used to have the same problem... still do sometimes. I think the recipes are a good idea. (Salads, no matter how many great salad dressings you can come up with, can get boring.) Try googling 'raw recipes' and collecting a nice little library of good ones, and then try them out one by one. Just watch the fat content-- a lot of the raw recipes online are anywhere from 60-80% fat, I think. I've found a lot of yummy looking recipes that I wouldn't be willing to actually try because of of this prevalence of fatty ingredients in them.

One thing I did when I was transitioning that really helped me was to add a few drops of toasted sesame oil to a lot of my evening vegie dishes of blended vegetables like zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, carrots, etc. It's not raw, but it sure has a lot of flavor in even a few drops.

Sometimes when I'm really hungry it really helps to add a little fresh corn and/or mushrooms to a salad.

Best of luck to you!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 29, 2008 01:53AM

Wendy, I agree with Kwan. Eating straight fruit and salads is monotonous even though they taste great initially.

That's why I have adapted my cooked foods to raw versions. I made Bhindi Masala tonight (Okra Masala) with raw and de-frosted (I had already bought some frozen prior to finding them at the farmer's market) Okra cut up into slices and then put in all the Indian spices (not all raw but close enough) and tomato puree and mixed all together. The Tomato puree was not raw since it came out of a can but I can easily replace that with fresh tomato puree and still get the Indian dish to taste great.

I also did extensive research into those cultures wherein vegetarian food is common and looked at their recipes. Some of these are Indian, Iranian, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. They each at least have one dish that is primarily raw or can be adapted to raw. In American food, other than salad, you could do veggies burgers, etc. by dehydration or just eat the veggie part.

I love raw Hummus. It's great by itself or as a filler in cabbage or lettuce leaves or dehyrated crackers if you're into that. Tomato is a great base for a soup. How about Gazpacho soup, etc.?

I know also that I must watch the amount of fat that I eat, too. But how about some sliced avocado with tomato, alfalfa sprouts, and cucumber slices and a bit of sea salt in a cabbage leaf? This is really good.

It like this raw food website: [www.goneraw.com]

I'm sure there are others, too, but this one is made by regular people rather than gurus/chefs that have access to insane ingredients.

Also, don't be too hard on yourself. Give yourself some time to transition as it's hard to fix your body and mind and detox can be tough.

Good luck on your journey. Therese

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: September 29, 2008 02:27AM

Honestly, when I feel like I should eat more veggies but can't bring myself to force down another salad, I make a green smoothie. My favorite green smoothie consists of three large curly kale leaves, a couple handfuls of spinach, a little water (or rice milk--I know, not raw!), and a banana. It's sweet (though you can add a little agave if you like it sweeter), it has worked wonders for helping me to heal my surgery scars, and it just makes me feel good to have some. Mixing fruit with veggies is a great way to cover up the taste when you're transitioning. I love spinach, strawberry, and walnut salads. Another great thing about green smoothies is that they sorta get you into the veggie mojo, I think. I started wanting more salads and greens in their solid form after a few smoothies. (Now if only I can get the veggies into the shapes of little dinosaurs.... LOL.)

Date: September 29, 2008 02:36AM

LMAO :-p

ecjames1120 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
(Now if only I
> can get the veggies into the shapes of little
> dinosaurs.... LOL.)

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: September 29, 2008 11:20AM

i just cook some vegetables if i feel like i didn't get enough that day
they're more appealing raw after you try them cooked a few different ways if you don't want to eat cooked food

but seriously, it didn't make me feel any worse after eating cooked vegetables after a month on 811rv

i have the same issue with being bored with my food hahaaa

indian and other ethnic cuisine is exactly what I was thinking of - spices and stuff, to give food some good flavor. there's nothing wrong with that

not everyone wants to get so hungry that a vegetable tastes like heaven

Posted by: karmele ()
Date: September 29, 2008 10:27PM

I have 20 ounzes of green juice every day with about half a pound of spinach and same celery. I also add some fruit for sweetness and a tomato and a couple of carrots. I try to make a smoothie at another time of the day with half a pound of broccoli and a salad for dinner with half a pound of romaine. I am pregnant and think I should be getting into me at least a pound of greens a day.

This is the theory... in practice, I very rarely do all three or only if I have a lot of time. Sometimes I have some steamed veggies for dinner in place of one of the above.

HTH

K

Posted by: Ryan ()
Date: September 29, 2008 10:44PM

i hope i don't come across a being a jerk, but technically speaking, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, and bel peppers are all fruits.

sorry, i know thats not very helpful towards your dilema, but for some reason i felt it necessary to point that out...

maybe it will offer new perpective about only eating fruits?

smiling smiley

Date: September 29, 2008 11:13PM

well, they're unsweet fruit, but the population calls them vegetables

it's only a scientific term, so it's not socially accepted just yet

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 29, 2008 11:20PM

I heard that fruits have seeds and veggies don't.

Date: September 29, 2008 11:21PM

fruit - seeds protected by walls
vegetable - some other part of the plant (like a flower - broccoli is a flower)

science, in a nutshell

grinning smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 30, 2008 12:13AM

fruit = ripened ovary
vegetable= any other plant part excluding true nut/seed.

mushrooms are not plants, they are fungi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2008 12:14AM by arugula.

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: September 30, 2008 04:21AM

arugula Wrote:
> fruit = ripened ovary
> vegetable= any other plant part excluding true
> nut/seed.
>
> mushrooms are not plants, they are fungi.

WOW...so what the hell are mushrooms, they are a fungi, not a fruit or vegetable?

this weekend, i ate alot of raw mushrooms, only because as i was shopping, for

some reason they appealed to me and called out to my hunger and taste-buds.

but of course, this monday, they are now causing me some digestive complications, as in

beeing very hard to digest, cause stomach distenstacion.

does anyone else find raw mushrooms hard to digest?

Date: September 30, 2008 10:41AM

oh oh! Mushrooms actually breathe like us - in oxygen, out co2. I read a good article about them here:

[gliving.tv]

certain mushrooms aren't supposed to be eaten raw - like shitake
a more accepted raw mushroom is something like enoki

so it really depends on what you eat to say how they're digested

I love mushroooms

Date: September 30, 2008 05:14PM

Hey ya big jerk! :-)

Really I found this very interesting! I'm smarter today than I was yesterday.
Cool! :-)

Ryan Wrote:
> i hope i don't come across a being a jerk, but
> technically speaking, cucumbers, tomatoes,
> zucchini, and bel peppers are all fruits.
>
> sorry, i know thats not very helpful towards your
> dilema, but for some reason i felt it necessary to
> point that out...
>
> maybe it will offer new perpective about only
> eating fruits?
>
> smiling smiley

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables