Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wow. Thanks WholeFoods (sarcasm)
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: May 08, 2007 11:10PM

Since I've been going through a lot of fruit, I asked if they offered any discounts if bought by the case. Yeah. It's 5% off. Big f'ing deal. I would save $4 on a 40lb box. It's cheaper for me to not buy a 40lb box. I was only considsering it if the discount was worth it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 11:11PM by LikeItOrNot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wow. Thanks WholeFoods (sarcasm)
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 08, 2007 11:55PM

aww hehe i know hardly sounds worth it at all considering youre spending in bulk
can you get together with some other folks and try and get a better discount?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 09, 2007 12:07AM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since I've been going through a lot of fruit, I
> asked if they offered any discounts if bought by
> the case. Yeah. It's 5% off. Big f'ing deal. I
> would save $4 on a 40lb box. It's cheaper for me
> to not buy a 40lb box. I was only considsering it
> if the discount was worth it.

around here i get 10% off on cases, so yeah, 5% is not very impressive.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: May 09, 2007 12:24AM

If you work there you get a 20% off employee discount. I rather get a job there pushing carriages 2 days a week for it LOL.

I found some place in my area where I might be able to get better prices. I'm waiting on hearing back from them. Might have to drive an hour though but oh well.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 09, 2007 12:25AM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
> If you work there you get a 20% off employee
> discount. I rather get a job there pushing
> carriages 2 days a week for it LOL.

not a bad idea maybe lol ... shows you how big their markup is huh ? smiling smiley not that im against people making money

maybe you could offer to do like a raw-demonstration day ..on a weekend or something and get the 20% smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2007 12:26AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 09, 2007 12:41AM

We buy in bulk online.

I hope you can get there with this link.

[rawfromthefarm.com]

It is "Raw from the Farm."

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: May 09, 2007 12:46AM

what about going to a farmers market and asking if you can buy in bulk from a local farmer for a discount?

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 09, 2007 01:03AM

I'm thankful for the 5% discount. Does that make me stupid?

I have so much trouble getting discounts on anything produce wise here, that even 5% is a gift to me.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: May 09, 2007 01:58AM

I was lucky enough to get a 40 lb box of bananas for $10 from Whole Foods a short while ago because the bananas were spotty. smiling smiley It never hurts to ask if they have any that they're getting ready to toss. Luckily, the Whole Foods I shop at doesn't have a Jamba Juice inside that would otherwise use those for smoothies.

Date: May 09, 2007 02:06AM

I'm sorry, I have not yet found an affordable way to buy fresh, organic fruit. I was referring to dried. I can't even find a farmers market less than 2 hours away. I thought living in the country would mean more farmers markets but it doesn't seem to be so.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 09, 2007 02:10AM

I can't afford organic, either, for the most part (although I do get it sometimes). Organic exclusively is for wealthy people.

But, you need to move here, where I am. My grocer puts out the spotted banans for about $0.15/lb, the bruised apples for about $0.20/lb etc. Sometimes they are organic, too.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 09, 2007 05:02AM

I disagree with "Organic exclusively is for wealthy people". I know people who clean houses or do unskilled labor, but they manage to eat organic. Its a matter of priorities, and having a expense structure such that all one's money isn't going into rent or energy or credit or material things.

My local health food store gives me a 10% discount if I buy an entire case. But this discount doesn't compare to buying cooperatively directly from the produce distributors.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: May 09, 2007 06:07AM

A group of us buy produce together ever 2 weeks from the same truck who delivers organic to the local grocery stores around here. We use Veritable Vegetable which has a minimum $250 to be delivered to your door and we save like 30% or something (maybe more) off the store price.

Love,
Uma

Date: May 09, 2007 10:58AM

[I disagree with "Organic exclusively is for wealthy people". I know people who clean houses or do unskilled labor, but they manage to eat organic. Its a matter of priorities, and having a expense structure such that all one's money isn't going into rent or energy or credit or material things. ]

You live in California, though, where salaries are higher.

Where I live, such people make $7/hr, and rents keep going up every year. I am not sure how they could manage to spend $10 or more per day and still pay rent, unless they were living with their families and not paying rent or doing something illegal with their rent situation like sharing w/ more then 3 unrelated people.

The people I know here who make it on such a salary are either getting free (or reduced rate) foods from their food service employers, or living off beans and tortillas with scant f+v.

I'd have to take in a roommate to be able to pay the bills and eat only organic food.

Posted by: khale ()
Date: May 09, 2007 11:40AM

Eating raw and organic IS expensive and I'm having to re-prioritize quite a bit to pull it off.

Yesterday I went shopping to stock up on things I want to use during my upcoming 7 weeks 100%, and spent, what is for me, a small fortune. Many of the things I purchased, such as nuts, sea vegetables and oils, will last a good while, but the fruits and vegetables! oh my! I spent $1.84 for ONE cucumber! No wonder so many of you eat so many bananas!

What scares me a bit is the amount of fresh food needed for one meal. Night before last I made a blended soup that used for one serving the amount of produce that would have lasted me two or three days when I was including rice and beans. The soup was delicious btw, but sheeesh, it had better been!

My plan is to hit the Farmers Markets. By the end of this month and starting early June I should be able to purchase homegrown tomato's! cukes, peppers, green beans, okra and etc. at far lower prices. And personally, I find the homegrown vegetables much, much better tasting than any organic I've yet purchased. My Dad also has two huge fig tree's that I've got my beady eyes on.

Btw, I ran across a small berry that grows locally here that I've never seen before. My friend called it a "gummi fruit" (I tasted one and it was tart,had a gummy though pleasant texture and tasted quite good), and though fresh it looked for all the world like gobi fruit to me! (which I've only seen dried) Is it possible that gobi fruit is growing locally here? (here being south louisiana)

khale

khale

Date: May 09, 2007 11:43AM

I meant "goji", not gobi.

khale

Date: May 09, 2007 11:48AM

I just searched for a photo of fresh goji berries and what I had yesterday was definitely a goji! How kewl is that!?!

My friend said that an article was written locally about the "gummi fruit" and that there are only about 20 known trees in the area. My friends mother has one of them.

Pakd4fun, how would you like a goji bush in your back yard?

I'll see what I can find out.

khale

Date: May 09, 2007 11:54AM

I had to look this up because if it grows in your area, it also grows in mine.

It's Elaeagnus multiflora:
[www.floridata.com]

Sounds good!

Date: May 09, 2007 01:39PM

I would love a goji bush in my back yard. I wish I was more of a farmer. I am working on that. I have a fig tree but it is at least five years old and is just now starting to get big. We only got two figs last year. Our biggest problem buying organic is that the fruit is not only expensive but rotten. The vegetables aren't so bad but apples and oranges are not good. Organic bananas are always cheap and in good shape thank goodness. I know more people are buying organic around here and this problem is only getting better and better. Two years ago it was hard to find any organic.

Khale- let me know when you go to the farmers market and I'll drive down and go with you.

Posted by: tiffany ()
Date: May 09, 2007 01:55PM

I know that we cannot afford to buy SOLEY organic produce... and my husand makes good money..... we do not have our priorities straight right now, we have a credit card payment and my student load ( ARGH). so that will take QUITE some time to straighten out.... we live in Georgia now, but what i said above is EVEN more true in Washington.....

THe height of my year in washington was all the ripe, black and juicy black berries... we woudl go each day and pick GALLONS of them LOL and soak them in the sink for bugs etc and then freeze them real quick.... man those were the days.....

last year in iowa during augusts, the boys and i went berry picking. on one city plot by the lake we found gooseberries, mullberries, chokecherries and raspberries.... WOOHOO.... the mulberries are by far m y favorite of all berries... next are blacck berriess.....

i have a broken leg righ tnow, but i fully intend to locate good wild berry/fruit picking when i am bettere.......

OHHH i also eat wild tiger lillies... my son adeah LOVES them..... once for supper, at my folks, i ( EEK ) dipped them in tempura batter and fried them for my parents and they ate them lightly salted..... (huge suprise for me that i got them to even try) so now my son adeah always wants to know "can we eat that flower"... when i broke my i got lots of flower arrnagement and there he was... sifting through the flowers trying to decide which ones to taste LOLOL i told him we should find wild flowers LOLOL ne who... long post? yeah....

I love mother nature!

tiffntwins

Posted by: elover6 ()
Date: May 09, 2007 03:21PM

Just greatfull we live in a land where we can go to a store and have fresh produce. Many in this world would kill to have the advantages we do once I keep it that simple its hard to complain ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: May 10, 2007 03:49PM

elover6 Wrote:
> Just greatfull we live in a land where we can go
> to a store and have fresh produce. Many in this
> world would kill to have the advantages we do once
> I keep it that simple its hard to complain
> ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Amen. Try living 100% raw organic in almost any other country in the world and you will be very thankful that you even HAVE a Whole Foods that sells organic produce! (assuming you don't grow your own food)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables