Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mentally addicted to spices
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: October 07, 2008 02:12AM

So, natural hygiene says SPICES ARE BAD. I've an interest in a spiritual practice that says the same thing.

For the first few months of staying raw, it was just about STAYING RAW. Eat whatever raw food you want when you want. Observe changes in the body. Unearth addictive/unconscious behavior patterns. Work with them. Better myself.

Then, for the next few months, I realized I was eating WAY too much fat. So I worked on cutting back on the fat, stopped buying nuts (I started tasting how moldy the ones in bulk are once I quit eating them regularly). Same with eating all hours of the day--get my eating into 12 hours or less. Observe the changes in my body, unearth more unconscious/addictive/destructive patterns, and slowly better myself. No more "reward" eating after work (which is now at 2-3AM).

Now, I am feeling two things. I feel I have an insatiable mental addiction to spices. A mental addiction to stimulation and variety. I also have a desire to be fruitarian (+ romaine lettuce from time to time? tongue sticking out smiley not really worried?), I know it's where I need to be inside, much like the way I felt when I learned my one cousin was a vegan when I was a teenager. ("That's so cool... That's what I want to do... I'm not ready..."winking smiley

Any advice for my love affair with spice?

Most spices are irradiated, but I started buying organic ones instead of quitting. =\

How could I set goals to ween myself off slowly? I don't eat sea salt/spices every day--only when I feel bored with a fridge full of fruit, or maybe feel deprived in some way (and really want that big slice of raw lasagna). Making INSANELY COLORFUL FRUIT SALADS definitely helps.

And kimchi is the biggest problem. It's got to go. I do feel better without eating salt--spices, I can't really tell, other than that they do wonders to entertain my mind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mentally addicted to spices
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 07, 2008 02:19AM

The desire to to be a 'fruitarian' means that you have a mental picture of what health means. This is fine....but when you are at a point in your life where fruit is the necessary fuel...then you won't need discipline...and won't be thinking about other things. The fact that you ARE thinking about other things means you need to address those issues and examine them until you no longer need them.

-I agree with you Phantom. Make the small changes until you are ready to make the big ones with a clear mind. Start with cutting down and eventually cut out any added salt. The other spices work on substituting fresh ones: fresh basil, fresh oregano, etc. These are readily available...or better yet grow your own (not illegal in this country! Power to the people Marty!)

-Just some tips that have worked for me. Congratulations on your healthy decisions!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: October 07, 2008 04:09AM

Most spice have antibacterial properties. Also they are easy to grow. However, the term "spice" does not have to necessarily be used for herbs. Lemons and limes can be used to spice things up. Thant's all I can think of right now.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 07, 2008 06:07AM

do you have to eat the spices to enjoy them? alot of cravings are scent driven if you can make the nose happy perhaps you wont have to feed the stomach

.. you can use the spices in ways that dont require you to eat them ...

example scent your home with the flavors of the east india by infusing some oil with currie masala spices and burning it in a diffuser ... lay back on your big fluffy bean bag chair listening to the twang of a sitar on your stereo while munching on a big bunch of grapes ... wow i can almost feel the palm fan boys/ladies making a breeze LOL !!!

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 07, 2008 10:47PM

i feel sometimes as human beings that we have to live a little

Posted by: annex ()
Date: October 08, 2008 04:10PM

I'm curious.... what spices are you referring to? I don't eat many spices but I eat a lot of herbs... basil, oregano, rosemary, mint, sorrel, etc. Mostly greens.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 14, 2008 04:01AM

A mental addiction to stimulation and variety.
That's healthy & normal. Don't beat yourself up. Stimulation & variety keeps you young, keeps your brain functioning well & keeps your spirits up. Nothing worse for the things you love than overdoing them. Ever listen to the same song a few dozen times in a row. Ruins it forever.

Variety is the spice of life. Monotony is... well monotony.

You can make kim-chi without salt. It isn't as good though.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 15, 2008 09:44AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables