Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Newby Needs Help Eating Her Veggies
Posted by: moxiegretl ()
Date: September 13, 2007 07:27PM

Hi there!

My family is new to Raw Foods and I'm very excited. The problem is I really don't care for many vegetables. I can eat fruit ALL day long, but veggies are very hard for me. But I AM determined to make this new lifestyle work and I want this to be as balanced as possible, so avoiding veggies isn't very wise I know. We don't have a juicer yet, so I can't throw veggies into my juice at this time. I can eat a simple green salad, but that's just not my thing! I like green beans, but I like them COOKED! I tried a packet of the green superfoods with juice and that was the nastiest sludge I've ever tried drinking. I'll be trying the capsules instead.

ANY advice will be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newby Needs Help Eating Her Veggies
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: September 13, 2007 07:34PM

What has really helped me is veggie dips. I LOVE hummus, and olive dip, or a nut butter dip. All of which can be made raw. You can also make raw tahini, tabouli, guacamole...etc. I dip cucumber, carrot, broccoli, tomato, zucchini, celery... and the dip makes all the difference!! It makes the veges much more pleasant to eat. Instead of making a meal out of a salad just dip various veges one by one until you are full. And once you begin to start liking the veges on your own then you are golden!

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 13, 2007 07:38PM

That's good that you pay attention to your body. There is a good reason why you don't like veggies. Many of them contain antinutrients and protective factors that attempt to prevent animals from eating them to protect the plant.

Also, several people here do not eat veggies and claim to be doing well.

I have found that when my body needs veggies, they taste good.

In other words, if you eat just fruit, you may find that your body directs you to veggies after some point, and at that time they will taste very good because that is what you need.

I focus primarily on leafy greens and celery and they taste good to me. broccoli, cauliflower, beans, etc don't taste good to me either, so i don't eat them often.

you can do cukes and peppers too but of course they're really fruits.

And congratulations, you are the 1 millionth raw fooder!
Raw Diet has now achieved escape velocity and will soon take over the world !

Date: September 13, 2007 07:45PM

Its funny, I know what to do with getting my 3-yr-old son to start eating his veggies, but I'm struggling myself!

This may help other people with kids too:
The dips are always a good idea with kids. In fact, my son is obsessed with ketchup, so that works for now until we transition to better raw options.

I shredded some carrots with a peeler because he LOVES shredded cheese. I figured the texture and shape would be familiar to him. He was a bit pissed that it wasn't shredded cheese, but he ate them right up. I would think that's easier than biting into a carrot.

We are also doing "goals" for him. He needs to eat ONE bite of salad. Then we'll work our way up.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: September 13, 2007 08:17PM

My kids loved raw veggies as children, my boyfriend ate so many carrots when he was a kid, that he turned orange, and I drank V8 as a little girl, like it was going out of style (loved it so much, I asked my grandpa for money to buy the biggest can of it almost everday.) So I guess it's a personal preference, not just a childish thing.

Fruits have plenty of anti-nutrients:

High Oxalates:
Blackberries
Blueberries
Grapes, Concord
Currants, red
Dewberries
Figs, dried
Gooseberries
Kiwi
Lemon peel
Lime peel
Orange peel
Raspberries, red and black
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Tangerines

Medium Oxalates:
Apples
Apricots
Berries
Blackberries
Blueberries
Dewberries
Red raspberries
Currants, black
Cherries, red sour
Cranberries
Grapefruit
Grapes
Oranges
Peaches
Pears, Bartlett

Pineapple
Plums, green or golden Gage, Damson
Prunes
Tangerines

Low Oxalates:

Apples, peeled
Avocado
Cherries, bing
Grapes
Thompson seedless,green
Red
Lemons
Lemon juice
Lime juice
Mangoes
Melons
Cantaloupe
Casaba
Honeydew
Watermelon
Nectarines
Papaya, Hawaiin
Raisins, golden

Some of the oxalate levels, depends on the "type" or fruit, or if it's peeled or processed, somehow.

High Goitrogen (inhibits iodine absorption/suppress thyroid function):

Cherries
Peaches
Apricots
Strawberries

I eat most veggies and fruit, so I don't get too much of one inhibitor, instead of just a few staples.

[www.branwen.com]

There are many other references, if you want to Google it.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 13, 2007 08:30PM

You don't have to eat veggies, just eat fruit all day long if that's what your body is telling you. I'm just the opposite of you, fruit often looks very unappealing to me but veggies make me happy. And then other times - I crave fruit. So, just go with what your body is telling you at any given time. At some point, you may crave veggies. But I wouldn't try to force anything.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: September 13, 2007 08:58PM

Sunshine79, Hiii! smiling smiley What kind of veggies do you like, and how do you eat them? Green smoothies, salads, juicing?

Date: September 13, 2007 09:32PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of this! I guess I'll stop trying too hard on making myself like veggies. The way I did it when I ate the SAD diet, was every once in a while I'd get a craving for a green salad, which was bizarre for me. I'll sneak in my veggies with a green superfood supplement and juice once I get my juicer. And smoothies.

For now my mantra shall be, "Fruit Salad. Yummy, yummy."

Posted by: uma ()
Date: September 14, 2007 05:54AM

It's true, on a raw food diet, you really don't need to eat veggies. Fruit will do just fine! It seems far-fetched at first. I tried for years to force myself to eat my veggies on raw. Life is so much easier and tastier now that I've let that externally-imposed belief system go! ("Eat Your Vegetables!!"winking smiley
Love,
Uma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables