Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruitarians
Posted by: lotusblossom9 ()
Date: September 16, 2007 01:55PM

Hi everyone

I've been reading up on fruitarianism, as it seems that there are some people on this board that follow this lifestyle. I have some questions about it for the people who consider themselves (or at one time were) a fruitarian:

1. What defines fruitarianism? I have read several different definitions so I'm wondering what the consensus is here.

2. How has this change in lifestyle affected you physically/emotionally/socially? How long have you been (or were you) a fruitarian?

3. Do you have problems with tooth decay?

4. Do you use supplements such as B12 or multivitamins?

5. What would a typical day of food intake look like for you?

Thanks for any feedback.

Lotusblossom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruitarians
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 16, 2007 02:52PM

LotusBlossom:

-I've been eating this way for many years...and am the happiest/healthiest guy I know! I evolved this way quite naturally....with a commitment to eat healthier and healthier every year of my life....forever.

-My experience is that eating all fruit is not a discipline to be chosen...but a lifestyle to evolve into. Just like if continually switch out your vehicle (car) for a higher performance vehicle (like a Porsche) every year......you will need cleaner and higher performance fuel. You can't just throw jet fuel in your old '69 VW bug! smiling smiley

1) My experience is that fruit is anything that the plant gave willingly...without harming the plant.....and that is seed bearing/containing. So: I eat sweet fruits...and not the unsweet fruits........and avoid nuts/seeds (I plant them)......leaves.....and plant parts. smiling smiley

2) My life is much easier emotionally/physically/socially. I can eat food on the go....and give food away freely....and have little prep time.....etc. It's all very convenient. I can bring my meals in my pocket wherever I go....or simply not eat....as I never experience hunger (my stomach is too small! ha! ha!) winking smiley My friends and family and co-workers.....are very supportive...once you make it clear you are there to support THEM.....and not necessarily to eat!

3) No. All my problems cleared up by the time I transitioned to all fruit (and I had a LOT of problems before that).

4) No. They made me sick after a few years (as did nuts).

5) Typical day: Breakfast = 1 Canteloupe and/or fresh Orange Juice. Snack = 3 Apples. Lunch = 5 small avocados. Snack = Peaches, Grapes, or Berries. Dinner = Watermelon or Papaya or Honeydew. Snack = whatever is in season and on sale! smiling smiley

-Hope my experience helps your research a bit! Remember that when the passionate dreams you are living REQUIRE/NECESSITATE this lifestyle....you will evolve to eat....and discover its meaning for yourself quite naturally (just my opinion).

-What do YOU think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: September 16, 2007 05:19PM

Checkout my website, hope it helps.

www.fruitarianfitness.com

F1

Posted by: moxiegretl ()
Date: September 16, 2007 11:54PM

great posts - thanks for the info David! This answers some of MY questions too!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:09AM

Hi Fruitarian here

. What defines fruitarianism? I have read several different definitions so I'm wondering what the consensus is here.

ANYONE WHO EATS FRUIT EVERYDAY EVERY MEAL

2. How has this change in lifestyle affected you physically/emotionally/socially? How long have you been (or were you) a fruitarian?
ALMOST 2 YEARS, I HAVE A BLOG THAT DISCUSSES MY JOURNEY< ITS INTENSE

3. Do you have problems with tooth decay?
NO NOT AT ALL

4. Do you use supplements such as B12 or multivitamins?
NO WHY SHOULD I?

5. What would a typical day of food intake look like for you?

DEPENDS> MOSTLY SMOOTHIES AND I LOVE WATERMELON JUICE> TOMATO AND AVOCADO SALADS>

Posted by: rawnora ()
Date: September 17, 2007 02:34PM

Suvine,
I read some of your blog last night and just wanted to say I was very impressed that someone of your tender age smiling smiley could have figured out so many profound truths about life and nature. I love your uncompromising conviction and enthusiasm. You are truly beautiful and a very inspiring testament to what can be accomplished through understanding and cooperating with nature. Thank you!

Sorry to detour the thread but I wanted to say that where others would read it!

Warm wishes,
Nora
www.RawSchool.com

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:28PM

yes, rawnora, she is amazing! i love her blog as well.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 17, 2007 03:39PM

Yes, she is a wonderful 'poster girl' for clean living and thinking!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2007 12:10AM

It works very well as a cleansing diet, there is no evidence of it working in the long run

Posted by: frumpy18 ()
Date: September 18, 2007 12:57AM

just curious - why do people choose to become fruitarians? Greens are so incredibly nutritious and valuable - what is it that keeps you from eating them? don't get me wrong - i love fruit too - but if i didn't have fresh kale in my smothie every morning, i can tell you my energy level would be much lower. Truly just curious - not challenging:-)
kelly

Posted by: pihourova ()
Date: September 18, 2007 05:24AM

in my opinion, i think the way some people choose to eat is just what works best for them, as an individual.

i dont think anyone really "chooses" to become fruitarian. thier bodies "choose" for them.

you are absolutely right about greens, in my opinion, but that is right for YOU.

i am speaking as someone who started raw and i find myself gradually becoming a fruitarian. in fact, i realized a few weeks ago that i had been living on nothing but fruit. i did not "choose" this, my body did.

but this is just me. i am sure some other fruitarians here will have different reasons for ya! winking smiley))

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: September 18, 2007 10:52AM

David, or any of you other fruitarians for that matter... What are your thoughts on coconuts, or extracting the cream from them ?

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: September 18, 2007 11:15AM

Eating coconuts does not hurt the plant so it would fall under the classification of fruitarianism. I think coconut water is how we should have gotten our water long ago in an ideal caveman-type situation, rather than drinking from a stream and getting sick we would have had pure fresh water always available, even in places where there were no streams.

As far as the definition of fruitarian, Wikipedia says it is anyone who eats predominantly fruit (over 50%) and that it is very common for fruitarians to include non-fruit items in their diet.

The article is worth looking at, just to drool over the pic of the fruit stand!
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: September 18, 2007 01:47PM

frumpy18 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just curious - why do people choose to become
> fruitarians? Greens are so incredibly nutritious
> and valuable - what is it that keeps you from
> eating them? don't get me wrong - i love fruit
> too - but if i didn't have fresh kale in my
> smothie every morning, i can tell you my energy
> level would be much lower. Truly just curious -
> not challenging:-)
> kelly
-------------------------------------------------------
I for one, due to a severe digestive order cannot handle greens, nuts or seeds and fruitarian has been a healing grace and actually I find I enjoy it better than years of being raw with greens. Never really ate nuts or seeds before anyhow. Still afraid of long term and being I live in a very seasonal climate(cold winters) my fruit selection isn't near what others have though. Still I manage. Think FruitarianOne lives in a similiar climate if I'm not mistaken though.

Date: September 18, 2007 01:58PM

So does hurting the plant also have something to do with being fruitarian? I can see how your body would guide you to be fruitarian. I'm curious about the not hurting the plant idea - more info please. . .

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: September 18, 2007 02:33PM

frumpy18, there are many sides to fruitarian.
Some eat greens, some don't,
Some take it beyond just food, some don't,
etc., etc., etc.,

Date: September 18, 2007 02:34PM

pihourova is right, you don't choose to be fruitarian your body guides you in that direction....and this hurting the plant stuff is all personal opinion/preferance and really has nothing to do with being a frugivore....if you have to ask total stranger what you should eat then your going wrong somewhere because your body knows exactly what you need, your just not tapping into it.

Fruitarianism isn't just eating sweet fruits, you are eating Fruits of your choice, leafy greens, nut/seeds and some veggies, everything raw, fresh and in it's natural state, there's really no guidelines or right/wrong way to go and you can make it as simple or as complicated as you want to but at the end of the day it all boils down to eating what you enjoy and getting active because as I always say there's so much more to Fruitarianism than food, Fruitarianism is a lifestyle and that includes getting out in the sun and enjoying the natural environment, getting more active, doing what you love and loving what you do and being non-judgemental towards others, etc.

F1

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 18, 2007 02:37PM

frumpy you could do a search on 'fruitarian' here ... there are lots of threads about it

Date: September 18, 2007 03:46PM

Thnx to all for your input - this thread was the first i heard of fruitarian - thax for clarifying for me:-)

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: September 25, 2007 10:46AM

davidzanemason

I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on coconuts.. especialy juicing them for the cream. Is this something you do ? Have you had coconut cream... and if so how did it feel on your system ?

I know that fats have alot of bad rap and indeed the processed ones like oil feel unhealthy to me.

Thing is, I enjoy avocadoes and they feel fine, I'm not sure on coconut cream, maybe in time I will be able to sence its effects but for now I'm just guessing so I thought I'd see how you felt about them.

I was going to make this a private message but it says your box is full.
Cheers Light

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 25, 2007 03:26PM

coconut cream is really addicting. I have not
HAD ANY IN A LONG TIME
IT IS SWEET AND FAT

Date: September 26, 2007 01:54PM

-Great posts! Remember that you don't really CHOOSE to be fruitarian.....like a discipline. It is having a lifestyle / dream that NECESSITATES eating a lighter diet. Re-evaluate your dreams......and the small things you are going towards them every day....and you'll find your dietary values and practices changing. Just my opinion.

-Coconuts? Used to eat them all the time! ha! ha! Later they became fairly heavy for me. To me they fall closer to the nut category.......so I avoid them. But I may go ahead and try one and see how it does for me! Ha! ha! More power to those that ARE including them in their diet!

-As to avoiding greens and not harming the plant? Its all a matter of where YOU are and what YOUR goals are. You know?

-Power and Success to everyone - and I'm really looking forward to seeing one or two of you at RawSpiritFest in Sedona on October 13th....and getting to meet Richard (FruitarianOne!). Awesome man.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: September 26, 2007 06:25PM

Hey Dave I'm not going to the raw spirit fest!

Richard

Date: September 26, 2007 07:25PM

Hey! I thought you were scheduled my friend! smiling smiley @$#*&$....I was looking forward to getting a chance to shake your hand! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 07:25PM by davidzanemason.

Date: September 26, 2007 08:48PM

Yeah, I decided against it, I'm sure there will be other times...

Richard

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 26, 2007 10:19PM

Fruitarianism puzzles me. A lot. I have not declared myself a fruitarian. Yet, I spontaneously have gravited towrads eating mostly fruit. My approach is to follow my instincts. I can't help loving fruit. I do what feels best. I do what make me feel great. I looove fruit. Papaya for breakfast today - I feel cherished! smiling smiley

Aww, and I do not take any supplements, have no tooth decay problems, have no definition of fruitarianism, and have been getting mentally/physically/socially to a higher level of maturity.

I have no typical day. Recently, I have been eating lots of oranges (they are in season now, sweet, juicy and affordable), red delicious apples, papayas (mmmm). I don't mind a fruit smoothie either. I have not been much into greens lately, but I had some. I tried some raw recipes that I made for my family, but for me, nothing beats sweet, juicy fruit. I may be a fruit maniac ha ha!

Actually, I should say that if I don't get my fruit, I feel hungry/dehydrated/deprived.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 10:20PM by rawgosia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables