Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Onion allergy...substitutions?
Posted by: strangeseraph ()
Date: September 23, 2007 09:45PM

I have an allergy to onions which makes it soooo much fun trying to find recipes that don't have onions in them.

Well silly me. I pick up a couple raw cook books and it seems half the recipes call for onion. What can I substitute?

I know garlic, but I'm not sure if I have a garlic allgery or not, just always pretty much avoided it because I don't like the taste. Probably not allergic to it though.

Anything that can substitute for onions in recipes? Taste doesn't have to be 'onion' taste, I just want to make sure I'm not depriving my recipes of some unknown texture (like in a veggie loaf) or any vitamins that is needed by the body.

Thanks (making sure I know everything before I take the plunge!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Onion allergy...substitutions?
Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: September 23, 2007 09:50PM

What about the herb asfoetida? It is supposed to confer the taste of onion/garlic.

Edited to add: Oops, spelled it wrong. Asafoetida. [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2007 09:53PM by Seabucktho.

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 23, 2007 11:15PM

i guess since i don't use a lot of recipes, i never run into this problem.

i don't like onions or garlic b/c i smell like them for days after i eat them, and they stay on my tongue. so i choose not to eat them.

if you have a reaction to onions, i'd stay away from garlic too, too many similar compounds that could affect you.

as for texture, sprouts have that fresh crispy crunch, as do radishes. both are mild flavored/savory, and are delicious.

thats all i got.

peace-

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 23, 2007 11:39PM

Are you allergic to ALL types of onions? There are MANY varieties. There are also green onions / scallions.........as well as shallots. In any event, Onions are a root crop. If you eat other root crops, and lots of greens...I'm sure your getting a similar nutrient profile. Just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: September 27, 2007 05:02PM

I read alot of animals may die if ate onion, like dogs or cats..it has some poison in it, of course we mix it up, like garlic. That is weird what happens when you eat onions?

I say, just leave it out, of the recipe asfoetida? Or whatever that is, I have had, it is very garlicky tasting but not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables