Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Corn on the ol' Cobb!
Posted by: m ()
Date: October 03, 2007 06:38PM

does anybody else love eating this? this summer i grew fresh corn....i would have two or three ears everynight for dinner...just as is. it was so darn tasty. i'm going to miss corn season!

eveyone here is always talking about fruits and greens....does anybody else eat fresh, raw, corn on the cobb??? are there any reasons why i shouldn't be indulging in corn???

much love!
*m*

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corn on the ol' Cobb!
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: October 03, 2007 06:49PM

At a family BBQ a while ago they were boiling up a bunch of fresh corn, so I asked if I could save a couple of cobs and just eat them fresh - they were so sweet and delicious, I couldn't believe anyone would want to cook it and spoil it. The entire family thought I had lost my mind, and nobody would even try it.

I don't know how optimal corn is compared to anything else, but for the sheer taste of it, I think it's just wonderful - as long as it is perfectly fresh. Definitely a treat!

Sapphire

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: October 03, 2007 07:09PM

I love it. I am eating the heck out of it. I like it with avocado and cajun seasoning. I cut it off the cobb and make a yummy, spicy salad too.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2007 09:09PM

of course there is an arguement against corn but there seems to be an arguement against nearly everything these days!
raw corn is fresh and lovely, especially if it's organic (and not gmo!). have you noticed how it doesn't stick in your teeth whenyou haven't cooked it?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 03, 2007 09:09PM

-I ate quite a bit of it...when I ate that stuff. I worked at a produce stand....and got WONDERFUL local corn....which I would chop off and top my salads with......very European! winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 03, 2007 09:30PM

I really enjoyed this season's corn right on the cob or in soups (corn chowder, tomato gazpacho). Unfortunately, most of our local farmers don't have any left this late in the season. I convinced most of my family that it really does taste great raw, but they kept cooking theirs... to each his own, I guess!

Posted by: inspirit ()
Date: October 03, 2007 11:30PM

I love raw corn on the cobb. Raw, organic, fresh from the garden. I had an experience just like Sapphire described. "We can microwave that, you know". That's ok, I loved every bite.

inspirit - aka coolkarma

Posted by: rankdurian ()
Date: October 04, 2007 12:33AM

raw corn on the cobb with avocado is great! I also make a killer corn and mango salsa that goes well over a bed of greens.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: October 04, 2007 12:42AM

2-3 for dinner? One day this summer I ate, I think, 8 of them. smiling smiley

I like the smaller ones. And they have to be very, very fresh or I don't like them. They're nasty when they're older and starchy. But yes, I love corn on the cob.

Back when I was in college and eating crap, I used to eat cans of Jolly Green Giant corn for meals.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: October 04, 2007 01:00AM

WOW all my life growing up as a kid i never understood why people would cook it either. it is soooo sweet and delicious. i enjoyed it raw long before ever changing my diet.

so good !!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 04, 2007 02:12AM

actually, most corn is genetically modified to not get starchy anymore. if it's getting starchy at least you know it's not modified i guess. i prefer it fresh though, it's amazing that you grew it M, it's difficult!

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: October 04, 2007 03:16AM

I absolutely LOVE raw corn - I have been eating it since a little kid. Not sure if it is unhealthy but i have been eating corn raw for about 14 yrs and it hasnt hurt me smiling smiley

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 05, 2007 12:26AM

I enjoy eating raw corn. I would eat around 9 ears of corn for a dinner meal during the summer. However, I also noticed that it made me sleep longer, and i would smell the corn coming out of my skin the next day. Still, it is very satisfying, though I pay a price for it.

Posted by: ferdiewen ()
Date: October 05, 2007 12:45AM

I am with you. I am used to cook corn taste but I love how fresh and nice the fresh corn taste. So yummy!

Posted by: uma ()
Date: October 05, 2007 01:13AM

I didn't even realize you could eat corn raw until a few years ago. Growing up I always had it boiled so I had no idea. Now we live next to a corn patch so I had many nights this summer of mono corn meals. Very sweet, very satiating, very fun. I did get tired of making scared, homeless worms though so I wasn't too upset when the season ended!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 05, 2007 04:09AM

I love fresh corn, on the cob or off. Tonight I had some in a salad, and it was delicious.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: October 05, 2007 06:31AM

arugula, raw corn & avocado salad... mmmm

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 05, 2007 04:46PM

what is the smell like bryan ... we eat alot of raw corn here too (we have a corn farm lol) and i noticed my usually neutral smelling boyfriend has been giving off an odor thats not entirely offensive or anything but its different then how he usually smells lol .. almost earthy/dirty/sweetish .. i dont know how to explain it lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: October 05, 2007 06:14PM

I was pleasantly surprised to find raw corn delicious. I thought it would be chewy and starchy but the corn I've been getting is mostly excellent. I have been having it on my zucchini pasta or just about everthing I eat for dinner almost every night for the past few weeks. Sounds good in mango salsa rankdurian, will be trying that.

Posted by: Custom ()
Date: October 05, 2007 06:28PM

I too love raw corn.. especially the smaller ears that are a sweet white corn variety! The corn out here is all gone though... which makes me sad... The last few ears I had that got a bit too over ripe I blended in my food processor and dehydrated them into chips.. I hated to waste them.... I then had homemade salsa and corn chips as a treat for several weeks.

Elayne

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: October 06, 2007 12:52AM

I think is kind of a novelty..all that gnawing van be very satisfactory. I had meals of it twice this summer...and got the stinky reaction! lol

I give it a thumbs down overall.

Date: October 06, 2007 01:41AM

Jodi,

The smell is like the corn juice. Its not offensive, but other foods that I eat don't come out of my skin, so this was surprising. To me its a sign that this is not an optimal food even though I was very much enjoying it. Also, being sleepy the next day also was another sign.

Date: October 06, 2007 02:28AM

the smell on him is like i used to smell on my goats and sheeps mouths .. its almost slightly isotone sweetish (vets might call it ketonic?) but not quite lol sorry i really dont know how to explain it , its not pungent or sweaty its actually almost anteseptic smelling and it goes away after a day or so

do you think its the hard to digest cellulose in the corn that makes you sleepy or?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2007 02:30AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: October 06, 2007 02:33AM

yeah, for me its not all that digestable...no discomfort or gas or anything (if eat alone or with lettuce)...just dense and heavy... comparably. I do like the taste/texture

Date: October 06, 2007 02:41AM

I think you mean acetone. Yes, that sound like ketosis.

As for the corn, I think I have lost my ability to digest so much starch. Or perhaps I never had it in the first place smiling smiley

Date: October 06, 2007 11:17AM

hehe yep maybe smiling smiley but i still like it (corn)

i wonder why then the ketonic smell on him .. hmm

and yes i did me acetone lol (looks at fingers in dismay) fluent in typo winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables