Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

rice and beans
Posted by: golden ()
Date: November 05, 2007 11:12PM

I love rice and beans but I like to make a lot so I don't have to make it every day. I use a foodsaver. should I put the rice in one container and the beans in another or can I mix them together and put them both in one container?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rice and beans
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 05, 2007 11:32PM

Golden, I am pretty sure that cooked rice will keep longer than beans in the fridge. But neither of these are raw, maybe you can diminish your need for thse foods with time. I still do beans so I am not criticizing. I would like to get rid of them completely but I am weak.

Sprouting diminishes the needed cooking time. Even if you partially sprout your beans you may find that they need only 2-3 minutes cooking instead of an hour or more for unsprouted.

I still cook a pot of beans every day (for the dogs mostly) and rice several times per day (completely for the dogs).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 06, 2007 02:31AM

arugula, how come your feeding the dogs cooked rice and beans? just curious.

golden, you can soak/sprout rice to reduce the cooking time and increase the nutritional content as well. and certainly you can store rice and beans in the fridge together, why not? i think they are fine for 3 days in the fridge.
just make sure to cool and then refridgerate that rice right away. i took a food safety course last year and was surprised to learn that cooked rice becomes toxic after no more than two hours at room tempurature.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 06, 2007 02:53AM

Arugula, have you tried eating soaked organic peanuts instead of beans?

As you probably know, peanuts are a legume, like beans.

They're quite a bit more expensive than beans, but it only takes a few to feel satisfied. They're really, really good if they're soaked overnight (they're ok, but not nearly so good if they're not soaked).

The organic JUNGLE peanuts have been found to be aflatoxin-free by labs approved by the USDA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables