Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cacao, caffeine and theobromine
Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: October 15, 2008 03:03PM

I was listening to a live-stream video last night of David Wolfe. He said something that I had never heard before and I wondered if it's true, if there is any scientific proof of it. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it seemed to be:

Cacao is good for the heart, it's the caffeine in cooked chocolate that gives a problem. For those who are sensitive to caffeine, they may have a problem with raw cacao in the beginning because the body interprets theobromine as caffeine at first. If you take it slow, sampling cacao a little bit over time, the body will eventually stop having a reaction to the cacao--it will understand that the theobromine is different from caffeine and you won't have a problem with it anymore.

I have a heart condition (mitral valve regurgitation) that isn't severe, but isn't mild, either. When I've had chocolate in the past (before raw) it caused my heart to race and I experienced pain. When I've had raw cacao, I get the same reaction. Personally, I love the almost euphoric feeling I used to get from chocolate. If I could eat raw cacao and have it not kill me, I'd do it. What David said gave me hope--is it possible that my body can one day consume raw cacao without any problem? From what I read about theobromine, it stimulates the heart. That leads me to believe that theobromine isn't good for me, with my heart condition.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and what David said.

Lots of love to all of you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cacao, caffeine and theobromine
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 16, 2008 04:12PM

I'd say try it in a Smoothie and see if you get a reaction.
I used to eat raw Cacao that way, but have given it up com-
pletely now. There are too many other good 'tastes' than to
deal with a food that is 'suspect'. Try to cultivate a taste for
pure Fruit and Greens, and omit those foods that are borderline
.....WY

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables