Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw food diet without fruit??? advice appreciated for newbie!
Posted by: claire ()
Date: December 25, 2007 09:20PM

Hi all

After being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in August I have been thinking about becoming a raw foodie...and reading this forum has really encouraged me, you all sound so happy! I can't wait to get started for a super healthy 2008!

I'm just wondering....the diet I am on at the moment is getting towards a raw food diet but I am not eating any fruit apart from grapefruit/lemons/limes/avocado, the theory being that fruit is very sugary and can require a fair amount of insulin. Do you think this would be too restrictive long term if I go totally raw food? In terms of vits/mins that is?

My typical diet at the moment is...

breakfast - veggie shake, 1/2 avocado, handful spinach, cucumber juice, celery juice, 1/2 lime, couple scoops green food powder

mid-morning - handful nuts/salad

lunch - veg soup, salad, beans

mid afternoon - handful seeds/salad

dinner - salad with sprouts

This seems really great for controlling my blood sugars, but I am concerned about cutting out fruit.

How would you recommend starting out on the way to being totally raw? Are there any must read books out there?

Any type 1s out there it would be good to hear from you also!

Merry Christmas everybody

Claire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw food diet without fruit??? advice appreciated for newbie!
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 26, 2007 12:21AM

Opinion:

-If your issues are diabetic, I would wager that if you ate low-glycemic....complex sugars present in fruits that you enjoy....you probably should have no issues. This is just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: December 26, 2007 12:45AM

Hi Claire,

This guy has Type 1 and is doing very well on a high fruit/low fat diet.
[robertbarbaro.zaadz.com]

Hope this helps! smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: claire ()
Date: December 26, 2007 08:12AM

Thanks guys

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: December 26, 2007 07:51PM

Hello Claire:

Regarding fruits,you may want to keep in mind that ripe raw fruits, whether with moderate or relatively high % of sugars do not release it into the blood stream the same as refined simple sugars.

Simple refined/processed sugars are released faster from the digestive system, and in turn causes the spike of insulin and possible crash afterwards. Complex carbohydrates as in raw ripe fruits also have fiber so it takes longer for it to be broken down and is released gradually and you'll be less likely to get sudden insulin spikes and then crash with the blood sugar level plummeting later.

Wishing you vibrant health

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables