Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

transition for kids from cooked to raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 21, 2008 01:04AM

Hello, I'm a single mom raising my 3 year old boy, and I would like to raise him with raw food as I am more and more becoming raw myself. If anyone can give me some tips and advice for bringing that transition to my son gracefully and what raw foods are really appealing for children. Also, I would like to become %100 raw. What I find difficult is that it seems most recipes require a food processor, juicer, blender, dehydrator, etc..and I'm a very simplistic person and don't like the use of a lot of electrical items. I also find that to be "a diet only for the rich," as most the population of the world cannot have the means for these appliances. So how does one live %100 raw in a more simple way without it being like a salad for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: transition for kids from cooked to raw
Date: October 21, 2008 03:00AM

there is a parenting forum on rawfoodtalk with lots of kid specific advice and recipes that's worth checking out.
it's here [www.rawfoodtalk.com]

Date: October 21, 2008 06:37PM

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: October 22, 2008 10:59PM

Hi Kalin,

Raw food can be as simple or as complex as you want. If you don't have all the fancy equipment, nothing is simpler, or faster than fresh fruit or veggies in their natural state!

Kids love fruit, this should be an easy transition for a 3 year old! My nephew and niece around that age 4 and 2, are not raw, but predominantly eat fresh fruit, it's what they naturally choose, when they have the choice.

The most useful equipment is also the cheapest! A blender is something you could use everyday, and you can certainly use a cheap one, at least in the beginning until you save up for a Vitamix or Blendtec (and even then you may find the cheap one is sufficient for your needs). Also, a food processor could be very useful, if you have one you may use this on a regular basis, however, these are in the $50-$60 range for a cheap one, and you certainly don't ever need an expensive one. As for the other appliances, they are all nice to have, but certainly not a necessity. You may want to buy a $10 electric citrus juicer if you plan on drinking a lot of fresh orange juice.... but other than that... if you feel the need you can look for used ones online, or save up... and if not, than great!

Breakfast can be as simple as fresh fruit, a smoothie, orange juice...
Lunch can be a salad, smoothie, fresh fruit,
Dinner can be more of the same, you get the idea... it can be simple, fast and cost effective, and when you feel like creating something more complex or having something familiar, than go ahead and try it!

There are lots of cook books out there geared towards simple raw foods using only a blender and food processor such as: Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cornbleet

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: October 23, 2008 12:15PM

My three year old doesn't eat all raw, but she does eat a lot for a kid her age. Her favorites: frozen berries, strawberries, grated carrots, avocado, popsicles made with homemade sprouted almond milk, agave and fruit (or banana and a little cacao) blended, tomatoes, adzuki and mung sprouts, onions, peppers, and anything that we grow ourselves. If you can grow a garden (even a little one) and involve your kids, they'll be more likely to eat the fruits of their own labor. She even picks kale leaves and eats them! She has never eaten meat and is not anemic.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 23, 2008 03:41PM

the diet isn't really commitment safe; there is so much info out there it could have you buying stuff and selling stuff and saying "i wish i hadn't bought that"

i mean, that's what happened to me haha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables