Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ohhh persimmons
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 27, 2008 01:38AM

I've been seeing the fuyu persimmons in the stores, and they have been hard as rocks and expensive. The price hasn't come down any yet, but I found some persimmons from a farm in California called Beck Grove and they were not rock hard. And guess what? They are totally delicious and sweet and tasty. Yum.

Now if only the price would come down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ohhh persimmons
Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: October 27, 2008 03:41AM

You should come to Santa Barbara during persimmon season, Bryan. I don't know what it is about this place, but people have no value for their persimmons. All over town, you come across homes with big bags or wheelbarrows out front with signs saying "free persimmons" or asking for some paltry sum. Mostly Hachiya. Just yesterday I got 102 large hachiya persimmons for $20.50 (someone had them out front on the honor system charging 5 for a dollar). Then today I got another 50 for free from a neighbor who had them out front. They also had some fuyu but I don't like them as much until later in the season for some reason.
I'm astonished that they don't see the value of what they're giving away, but it works out well for me personally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 03:42AM by doghouse reilly.

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: October 27, 2008 04:04AM

im sure you know the fuyu are non astringent
and can be eaten hard or soft

if you come down to the east bay call me
i know where to get water baloon ~ bursting ripe hachiyas
five for a dollar

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 27, 2008 05:57AM

Here's something interesting I've discovered, by accident.

Take a hard persimmon. Press the pad of your thumb into it all over, like a hard massage. Keep working around the persimmon until you've 'pressed' it all over. It will then soften and become a sweet, juicy persimmon.

This has worked for me recently on organic kaki (large persimmons from Spain) and non-organic sharon fruit (persimmons, um, chemically-treated, from Israel).

Let me know if it works for you.

Love, Persimmon-lover

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: October 28, 2008 04:36AM

I think that persimmons from asia (khakis) are meant to be eaten when they are harder where as the native persimmon is meant to be eaten soft.

Does anyone know if the black sapote is in season?

Date: October 28, 2008 04:53AM

Kakis can be eaten hard, but they're much better when soft.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 28, 2008 08:13AM

I happily found two large seeds in my last sharron fruit and they have germinated. If I can get them to do anything in south west England is another matter - these particular fruit came from Israel - sigh.

Date: October 28, 2008 06:31PM

Doubt they'll survive our winter, flipperjan. I had a carob seedling that WAS doing fine, then...

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: November 06, 2008 09:35PM

So fuyu persimmons cannot be eaten when hard? How long do they take to ripen? Any way to speed up the process? I got a bunch of free ones but they're all hard. I want one now!

Date: November 06, 2008 10:12PM

Fuyu persimmons can be eaten hard. Its the hachiya persimmons that need to be soft as a water balloon to eat them.

But too hard, fuyus are not that great. As the soften, they get sweeter and juicer. Hard as a rock, I would let them ripen some more. Once they start to give a bit as you press on them, they start to taste better.

But a hachiya needs to be very soft throughout the whole fruit. Otherwise is it will make your mouth pucker.

Posted by: new2raw81 ()
Date: November 06, 2008 11:44PM

I've not ever eaten a persimmon. What would you compare the texture and flavor to?

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: November 07, 2008 12:31AM

Guys! I finally had my first GOOD persimmon today, and it was heavenly-- like a sort of citrus-y gelato or pudding. I had one a couple years ago and it was very tart and strange tasting-- probably not ripe enough, but I didn't know.

I found them today at a local Indian food market for $1.59 each-- cheap in our neck of the woods. I'll probably go back and buy more of them, because now I'm really hooked.

What's the growing season for persimmons again?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: November 07, 2008 04:24PM

I've never had one. They are hard to find here. I will look when i am in Houston if I can't find any here by then.

Thanks for this thread. I will know what I am looking for now smiling smiley.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 08, 2008 09:20PM

oh mama. yea they are like pudding. very sensual fruits as well...

Posted by: mykmyk ()
Date: November 10, 2008 02:54AM

I live in South Florida, those yummy fruits are popping up all over....I just made persimmon salad dressing......

olive oil
onion
garlic
salt
coconut oil
lemon juice
and of course a
persimmon

yum yum yum you got to try it

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: November 11, 2008 02:57AM

I just had a fuyu persimmon today for the first time... it was AMAZING. It was perfectly ripe, incredibly sweet, and surprisingly satiating. How did I not know about persimmons sooner?!? (I feel like the loser in school who's last to know everything!) But seriously, if you've never tried one... do it! I certainly savored all $1.99 of mine. winking smiley

Posted by: rufio ()
Date: November 12, 2008 01:19AM

Is it okay to eat the seed?

Date: November 12, 2008 06:09AM

Rufio, I eat all the seeds (so small I can't even remember noticing them) and all the peel (or at least of the organic ones).

Date: November 12, 2008 06:10AM

Rufio, re 'speeding up the process' (ripening) see my earlier post.

Date: November 12, 2008 07:47AM

For you persimmon lovers, Uti took this shot of a local persimmon orchard he harvested last year.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 12, 2008 08:01AM

wow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables