Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw tahini, de-hulled seeds...
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 28, 2008 06:36PM

Hi everyone

I've made my own tahini at times, but it never looks (or tastes) quite like the creamy varieties in the jars.

But...I notice that the tahinis sold as raw in the UK use de-hulled sesame seeds whereas my home efforts use whole seeds.

Does anyone know exactly how the shells are removed from sesame seeds? Have tried googling, but haven't found any info beyond the word 'mechanical'.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw tahini, de-hulled seeds...
Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: October 30, 2008 03:39PM

It depends. Sometimes it's purely mechanical in that a machine strips the hulls off, othertimes chemicals are used like caustic soda. Either way the seeds must then be dried out, and this is done normally with a drying machine or if you're lucky in the sun (but that's if you're lucky.) By this time the seeds are basically devitalized and I wouldn't consider them "raw" anymore even before they go through the whole jarring/canning process which is a whole story unto itself usually resulting in a completely "un-raw" product.
There are a few tahinis in the U.S. made of un-hulled sesame seeds but I have no idea about Britain.
You'd need to contact the particular companies to find out the process for their tahini, if they were forthcoming about it. But I think your homemade tahini is always going to be a more "raw" product than anything you'll find in the store.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: October 30, 2008 05:49PM

The living tree community does a tahini with unhulled seeds.

[www.livingtreecommunity.com]

The fresh network was selling it but have now stopped selling these products for an inferior one. Such a shame.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 31, 2008 07:08AM

Thanks doghouse, ariel - very helpful answers.

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: November 11, 2008 12:26PM

too bad it has raisins in it and is not plain tahini.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: November 11, 2008 01:58PM

They used to do plain Tahini, I wonder why they have added raisins.

Why is that bad?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2008 02:00PM by Ariel55.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 01, 2008 01:19AM

It must ot have been organic. There is a big difference. Maybe the ones you got were heated and dead. Had to have been!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 01, 2008 07:15AM

Just thought I'd add that nearly all the good calcium, iron, and zinc of the sesame seed is contained in the hull. So it's much better to eat the seeds with the hulls on them. Eating tahini without the hulls is just eating a lot of nonnutritious fat.

So good for you Debbietook for keeping the hulls on!

I don't eat tahini myself, but I eat soaked whole sesame seeds almost every day - about 1/4 (measured dry) mixed with 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (sunflower seeds without the hull), soaked for a few hours.

One of my favorite statistics: 1/4 cup of unhulled sesame seeds contains more calcium than 1 full cup of whole milk (www.nutritiondata.com).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2008 07:19AM by suncloud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables