Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Goitrogens (interferes with uptake of iodine) but taking iodine also seems to be problematic
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 06, 2008 07:10PM

Here is a question:

so those who consume kale, broccoli etc. or drink it in their juices are consuming goitrogens which can then interfere with iodine thus cause thyroid problems.. but here is the thing: getting an extracted version of iodine entails this process ( i got this from wikipedia) which doesn't seem very attractive either considering it has chlorine. what is up with THAT???? they put CHLORINE ( for crying out loud) in iodine????
chlorine ( as everyone all knows here) is a toxin. i wouldn't want to drink it from a swimming pool. why do they put it in iodine? i don't get it. why don't they extract it out in the last step of their processing it?

sheer madness

<<Extraction from seawater involves electrolysis. The brine is first purified and acidified using sulphuric acid and is then reacted with chlorine. An iodine solution is produced but it is yet too dilute and has to be concentrated. To do this air is blown into the solution which causes the iodine to evaporate, then it is passed into an absorbing tower containing acid where sulfur dioxide is added to reduce the iodine. The solution is then added to chlorine again to concentrate the solution more, and the final solution is at a level of about 99%.[citation needed]

Another source is from kelp. This source was used in the 18th and 19th centuries but is no longer economically viable.>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Goitrogens (interferes with uptake of iodine) but taking iodine also seems to be problematic
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 06, 2008 07:27PM

Well, shucks! I'm not giving up my daily kale smoothies for nuthin! I have fortunately never had a thyroid problem, but if I develop one, I will be loading up on the kelp, because having health problems isn't economically viable for me, and I love kale. Seriously, though, this series of threads on thyroid issues has been educational for me, because my older daughter was recently diagnosed with (I think) hypothyroidism.

Re: Goitrogens (interferes with uptake of iodine) but taking iodine also seems to be problematic
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 06, 2008 07:36PM

Iodine is a halide. And it's going to be attached to metal, usually in the first column like sodium or potassium because of the number of electrons in the outer shell of each makes them fit together perfectly.

But you want to take the iodine off of its metal. And what will be even more strongly attracted to your Na or K than I to be able to displace the I? Well, that would be another halide, one that had a higher electronegativity.

That gives you basically 3 choices: F2, Cl2, and Br2.

F2 usually isn't used because it's TOO electronegative, the rxn is explosive and dangerous. Br2 is usually too slow. That leaves you with Cl2, which has a rxn speed that is just about right.

Cl2 + 2KI ---> 2KCl + I2

Cl or (Cl2) makes about 0.15% of the human body. It's essential for stomach acid, and liver, muscle, and red blood cell function. It's in the extracellular fluid also, where it helps to maintain osmotic pressure and appropriate pH of body fluids. There is no RDA but getting enough usually isn't a problem.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2008 07:48PM by arugula.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 06, 2008 09:02PM

I think the buzz word here went from "raw food police" to "Ann Wigmore" to "goitrogens." tongue sticking out smiley

In all honesty, I think you have to come back to #1 to find the answers, as is usually the case with raw food. If kale feels good when you eat it, that means your body wants you to eat it, and you're probably sopping up all of that wonderful nutrition. If your body doesn't need what kale has, it probably won't taste/feel good, and maybe it's just time to focus on foods that supply more iodine, rather than affect iodine levels. I think if your mineral levels are balanced, the nutritional profile of kale, anyway, outweighs the risk of goitrogens. Calcium blocks magnesium (right?), but you don't have to avoid oranges unless something is a little more out of balance.

The question is... does seaweed feel good when you eat it? >8)

As for the iodine, unless your situation is drastic (since I know some people here have done awesome things with iodine supplements), I would say, try to get what you can from diet first. Snack preventively. =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables