Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nut butters
Posted by: ashleekanaan ()
Date: November 01, 2008 10:26PM

Ok everyone I need a little adive..
I love nut butter..I do not even know why..I think its the texture..this will sound really gross but I literally dip my finger in the jar and will sometimes eat up to 1/2 cup or so..The only thing I was thinking is maybe im unsatisfied by only eating fruits and veggies and nut butter makes me feel more full? I have sensitive digestion, and generally I feel like its sticking to my intestines like glue...I overeat raw nuts too on occasions..but they both make my tummy gargle.. Someone who knows more about nut butter and effects on digestion/internal health let me know please, I certainly do not want to cause my body harm! Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nut butters
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: November 02, 2008 03:21AM

Ashlee, Sounds like you need more minerals and dietary balance. Maybe, you need to juice more?

I have had the same imbalance. I love nuts but don't do nut butters. I prefer tahini. I also make raw hummus which is great to fill the carb/protein/fat craving.

Nut butters in general are acid/mucus forming, that is why they are so sticky. This may contribute to digestive issues, too.

You will want to ensure that you aren't eating the nut butters with sweet fruit as sweet fruits require different digestive acids. In addition, some raw nut butters add in oil of a different type than what the nut butter consists of. Strange but true. The oil may contribute more than eating the raw nuts to digestive issues but I'm not totally positive.

I do know that one should eat fats/nuts/nut butters with moderation. This doesn't mean that I follow the rule all the time so I may not be your best source.

As you progress in Raw, you will find out what works for your body and what doesn't by modifying your diet a bit and watching for the effects.

I'm not sure what stomach issues you have but maybe, you could watch your food combining and do things to support your digestion like taking digestive enzymes or drink Chamomile tea, etc.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 02, 2008 06:09PM

Nut butters will be giving you a monumental amount of fat. I think you are probably right when you say that you unsatisfied by eating only fruits and vegetables but I dont think that fixing that feeling by eating nut butters is a very good idea.

Have you been raw for very long. Maybe you need to transition more slowly to just fruit and veg but not with nut butters or loads of nuts.

wishing you well
Philippa

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 03, 2008 12:25AM

it's wierd, but whenever i blend avocado with a fruit to dress a salad, I actually feel less full then if i were to eat just fruit blended on my salad ..perhaps it's less bloated, i don't really know

there's probably a big difference between avocado and nut butters though

i think if its a fat with a vegetable you'll be best off

maybe try putting some on celery - fiber plus fat will sure to fill you up
scoop out like a tablespoon or so and make that your limit and put it on as much celery as you want

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables