Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wich spiralizer is the best?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: November 01, 2008 11:57PM

I have a saladacco, but as most of you know, it makes angle hair or very large noodles....So i want something in between...

I was wondering wich spiralizer is the best; the spirroli, the benriner that looks almost the same as the spirroli, or the other one by benriner, the cook helper?

thnaks! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wich spiralizer is the best?
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: November 02, 2008 03:07AM

From my research, the Benringer is the best. You can do an internet search on reviews. That's what I did. The Benringer is more expensive, though. If you've ever gone out for Sushi at a Japanese restaurant, they would've use a Benringer to spiralize the Daikon radish and you would eaten it as part of the edible decoration. The Benringer also has 3-4 blades which can be replaced. Replacement blades can be purchased online. The others don't do that that I am aware of. As to the part which of the models are the best, I thought it would be easier to allow noodles to get longer if the veggie was sideways rather than vertical as there is only so much room underneath. Just my thoughts but the horizontal one is more expensive.

Good luck. Therese

Date: November 02, 2008 03:59AM

Is it possible that the vertical one is the old model, and that the horizontal one is the new one? Cause the spirooli changed too, going vertical to horizontal, so maybe benriner decided to change their model too...?

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: November 02, 2008 05:57PM

The horizontal Benrinner spiral slicing tool is the better of the spiral slicers until one gets into the $300.00 plus range for professional kitchen tools..

The blades for the horizontal slicer are approximately twice as thick as the blades for the vertical model..This means that the prongs of the blades are less likely to bend (they all bend, even the super expensive blades) as the cook pushes hard to force dense root vegetables through the blades..

Keeping the prongs straight is the key to both clean cuts & unbroken vegetable threads, as well as blade sharpness & longevity..I recommend purchasing & keeping a good pair of smooth-jawed needle-nose pliers with the slicer so that the prongs can be straightened after each use..

Eventually, the prongs will twist on their axis, & or break off, causing poor cuts & jamming..I recommend purchasing a second set of blades when purchasing the slicer..The blades are not expensive..The worst thing is to use a tool that is broken or dull..Very frustrating..

Also, I recommend to always removing the blade from the slicer when washing it after use..It is impossible to clean the body of the slicer under the blade without removal of the blade..Being lazy, & trying to wash the machine without removing the blade usually leads to bent prongs that are not noticed, which results in poor performance..It also leads to bacteria build-up under the blade where food ALWAYS gets trapped..

Bruce

Date: November 02, 2008 06:32PM

Hey thanks for all the good information! I will opt for the horizontal one then, and purhase some extra blades on ebay...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables