Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

legumes? Help please!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2008 03:58AM

I'm quite new to eating raw, though I've been poking at it for years in addition to my already vegan diet. I've finally made the choice to go raw (for real this time haha), so I'm starting to gather some information to help me out.

I've read that people who eat raw can eat legumes, but they soak them. I'm wondering how exactly they are eaten? Is it just the plain soaked bean? Or is there something else I should be doing to the bean? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I haven't found the answer to this anywhere that I've looked..

Thanks so much!
-Natassja

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: legumes? Help please!
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 18, 2008 05:47AM

No, you can't eat the dried ones after soaking. They also need to be cooked to kill the enzyme inhibitors. For the beany beans like black, great northern, kidney, etc. this means at least an hour at 100C, for the less beany beans like split pea, lentil, mung, adzuki at least 1/2 hour or so.

If you must eat them raw, you should soak and sprout them first, and keep your quantities very small. Most of us can't handle raw sprouted legumes except maybe for tiny quantities of mung or similar.

You might be ok with the vegetable-like legumes raw, again very small quantities, like snow peas and sugar snap peas.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 18, 2008 12:31PM

Right. The starches in fresh, growing legumes tend to be more digestible - so this is ok. Dried legumes need to be soaked and sprouted (forming a small plant) before the starches are converted to some sugars that can be digested.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 18, 2008 06:56PM

Kidney beans and black beans are too toxic to eat raw--and I'd recommend checking a site like sproutpeople.com to see if any of the others you'd like to eat are also toxic.

I LOVE SPROUTED LEGUMES.

The universal rule of thumb for sprouting these guys seems to be soak for 8 hours, drain, rinse, and just keep rinsing every 8 hours. The sprout is at its best nutritional point when the tail length is as long as the bean.

You can make TONS of clever raw dishes with these guys--I particularly love making raw curry!

They're awesome for transitioning, too, when you just want something OTHER than fruits and veggies. Sprouts rock!! Happy growing!!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 19, 2008 03:18AM

The only legumes I eat are mung, lentil, adzuki (mixed and sprouted together) and chickpeas (which I make hummus from). I soak for 12 hours, then rinse and drain every 8 hours for 2 days. I usually eat 1/2 cup(ish) per day.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 20, 2008 01:14PM

Sundancer,
I am exactly the same as your regimen there too.
And I have never had any uneasy feelings eating sprouts.
Brian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables