Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How fast do you tell someone what your diet is?
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: November 22, 2008 02:45AM

One thing I do FEARLESSLY now (which I never had the guts to do when I first started raw), is make it a point NOT to discuss it if someone is just out for an ideology clash. I tell people who get testy (even in group situations) that if they are REALLY interested, ask me later for information, blah blah blah. Otherwise, it is not open for discussion. Set boundaries!

My life has been so much easier in this department once I started recognizing then subsequently denying the ego clash, at any cost. No throwing mud, or accepting someone else's mud.

I was at a house party the other day. I was hungry. There were some meat lover's pizzas on the way, but my boyfriend decided to be sweet and go with me to the 24-hour mini-mart to buy strawberries and/or salad.

As I was leaving, I got stopped at the door by a belligerent VEGETARIAN. (My boyfriend had disclosed the nature of our mission.) Spilling the two beers in her hands and shouting through a mouth stuffed with a pack of cigarettes, she proclaimed, "STRAWBERRIES?! SALAD?! *I'm* actually a *vegetarian,* and THOSE foods are ALL WATER! They have absolutely NO nutritional value!"

My boyfriend had lifted a finger and started to say, "Well, actually, my girlfriend is a RAW VEGAN..."

But I was out the door! Sorry! Do not engage the ego! tongue sticking out smiley

As you spend more time being raw and getting comfortable with yourself, I think the what/when/how questions are not a big deal. "I love to eat fruit!" (possibly followed with an intriguing description of a durian) is usually all it takes for me. Just remember that you control the discussion about your personal life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: December 14, 2008 02:47PM

For some reason, Suvine, I am so surprised that you ate it...or even pretended to. Why? Stuff that that feels horribly violating to me, like I compromise my values to protect the other persons feelings. Over what...? Weiner schnitzel!!!! I have been in situations like that before and have caved, but the more comfortable I feel about my choices and my lifestyle the more I feel confident enough to refuse birthday cake from the new president or chicken from the pope. LOl. Anyway, what you were saying is what I was just talking about in another thread, the people that I have been meeting lately are packing backpacks of Twinkies and Tab for the nature walks. EW!

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 15, 2008 06:51AM

Yeah well I did.

No big deal.

I say 3 month wait until you tell someone you eat raw, by then they are in love with you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2008 06:52AM by suvine.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:37AM

I just say I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. There is no need to exclaim that they are all 100% uncooked. People don't really notice raw vs. cooked anyway in my experience.

A lot of people tell me the same. But time shows that almost all of those who so claim are exaggerating.

I work with kids of very low SES and I bring them lots of fruit. It makes me happy to see them eat fruit.

I think it's important to do little things like that, because with time the little things become habit and can turn into bigger things, like a lifetime of good eating habits.

Date: December 22, 2008 07:26PM

I've had many people comment on my way of eating, some even make fun. Like they'll say "So all you eat is grass?"

This past Christmas parties, I have told people I am a vegetarian (didn't want to go into the whole story of explaining raw foods to them). So some guy says "aww come on, just this once, make an exception" he continued to nag me until I plainly and politely said "I'm sorry, I just don't eat anything that has a nervous system." That kept him quiet.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 22, 2008 10:38PM

I like to tell people that I don't eat anything with a face. . . HeHaw

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 23, 2008 01:26AM

I tell them I don't eat anything that sh#ts....

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables