Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what is it with tomatoes
Posted by: irena ()
Date: November 04, 2008 01:04AM

that I crave them so much?
Ever since I stopped eating salt and spices I have been eating exuberant amounts of tomatoes (I only crave for one variety-Campari). They taste so salty to me and i feel like I absolutely have to have them in my salad. The thought of not having tomatoes for dinner puts me in a panic mode. Is it the sodium content that attracts me to them? Anything else you can think of?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is it with tomatoes
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 04, 2008 07:12AM

You need salt. I do not know why you crave tomatoes, but you need salt. If you wish to avoid salt, you might want to take an iodine supplement.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 04, 2008 07:18AM

During the winter, when there are no fresh tomatoes to be found, I use sun-dried tomatoes to make sauces and dressings for salads. I buy them in bulk from organicfruitsandnuts.com from livingtreecommunity.com.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: November 04, 2008 08:13AM

One of the foods my body wants a couple of times a week is fresh raw celery. I have come to the conclusion that it is the salt in the celery that my body wants. When I get the celery urge I make fresh celery juice and it always tastes so good when my body is wanting it. I think my body stores the sodium from the juice and when it needs more then I get a craving for it again. Keep listening to your body -- its your best raw food coach.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: November 04, 2008 12:00PM

Maybe it's just that they're so danged yummy! Seriously, though, there must be something in them that your body is needing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 04, 2008 01:31PM

Interesting.
Could be the salt.
Beefsteak are my favorites.

Posted by: Doris ()
Date: November 05, 2008 12:08AM

Oh me too!! I am finishing off my fresh tomatoes, and am dreading buying them from the grocery store over the winter/spring. They just don't taste the same as fresh from the garden.

Tomatoes are my favorite food right now. I love love love them. I crave them too and eat at least one large one every day.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 05, 2008 12:27AM

I think its the color... even though the yellow and orange heirlooms are really yummy, I absolutely HAVE to have the red... supergood!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: November 05, 2008 12:36PM

We just harvested the last 10 lbs from our greenhouse two days ago (in New England!!!) and will worship them as they ripen on our counter.

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: November 05, 2008 06:57PM

I hate raw tomatoes. I wish I loved them, they are SO beautiful. I have to choke them down. I did go to a potluck Sunday and the chef made the BEST raw tomato soup, but alas, no recipe. Evidently you have to pay $48 a month for 16 recipes.
Too bad, because I could eat that everyday the rest of my life I think.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: November 06, 2008 01:37AM

wendysmiling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate raw tomatoes. I wish I loved them, they are
> SO beautiful. I have to choke them down. I did go
> to a potluck Sunday and the chef made the BEST raw
> tomato soup, but alas, no recipe. Evidently you
> have to pay $48 a month for 16 recipes.
> Too bad, because I could eat that everyday the
> rest of my life I think.

Me too.

Prior to being raw I loved tomatoes. Now, I avoid them. They just don't taste the same, and I don't use salt anymore.

david

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: November 06, 2008 04:53PM

WendySmiling, here's a yummy Tomato soup recipe you may like:

Tomatoes (blend or chop 1st)
Sundried Tomatoes (1-2 per tomato)
1-2 Garlic cloves
Optional: Cayenne or Cumin Powder, Sea Salt
Blend. If want less thick, add water.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: November 06, 2008 05:05PM

I think you could be A TOMATO cutie pie

Posted by: Ani ()
Date: November 07, 2008 12:46PM

It is probably the natural glutamate which make tomatoes somehow "addictive". It also stands for the "fifth taste" called "umami".

I, personally, now avoid nightshade plants – i also was addicted to tomatoes and tomatillos for their unique, savory taste, which distinguishes them from sweet fruits. However, they gave me some digestive troubles (probably due to a lectin- or an alkaloid -intolerance), and seem to be too acidic for me. So no tomatoes for me... If i want something non-sweet i rely on cukes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables