Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mangoes irradiated? Am I out of the loop or something??
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 18, 2008 12:32AM

Nuclear Mangoes Anyone?
Or Nucular, if you pronounce it like the President.... ?

To "protect your health" mangoes from India have to be irradiated before import to the United States.

To keep you in the dark, such foods need not be labelled as irradiated.? Ignorance is strength, you know.

=======================================

FIRST SHIPMENTS OF INDIAN MANGOES ARRIVE IN UNITED STATES

? WASHINGTON, May 1, 2007-U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns on Tuesday welcomed the first shipments of irradiated Indian mangoes arriving through U.S. ports-of-entry, initiating mango trade with the United States.

Indian mangoes are the first fruit irradiated at an overseas site and approved for importation into the United States. Irradiation became an approved treatment on all pests for fruits and vegetables entering the United States in 2002. Last year, a generic dose was recognized for a wider range of commodities, including Indian mangoes. The use of irradiation provides an alternative to other pest control methods, such as fumigation, cold and heat treatments.

"This is a significant milestone that paves the way for the future use of irradiation technology to protect against the introduction of plant pests," said Secretary Mike Johanns. "India and the United States began talking about shipping mangoes 17 years ago. Irradiating Indian mangoes safeguards American agriculture while providing additional choices for U.S. consumers in today's global marketplace."

APHIS, the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service, approved the importation of precleared, commercial shipments of fresh mangoes from India, provided certain conditions are met. To ensure that plant pests of quarantine significance do not enter the United States though the importation of this fruit, the mangoes must be treated with specified doses of irradiation prior to export at an APHIS-certified facility. Each shipment must also be accompanied by a certificate issued by the national plant protection organization of India with additional declarations certifying that the treatment and inspection of the mangoes was made in accordance with APHIS regulations. In addition, inspectors with the Department of Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection may further inspect precleared commodities at the port of first arrival.

===========================?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mangoes irradiated? Am I out of the loop or something??
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: September 18, 2008 01:27AM

Hi Suvine,
Yep, a lot of tropical fruit coming in from other countries is irradiated. Mangoes from India, to my understanding, are definitely irradiated. Bummer, huh? I hate it! I think pineapples from Hawaii are too, but I'm not sure. The best person to ask on this matter might be suncloud, who lives in Hawaii and is an anti-irradiation activist.

Best regards,
Sharrhan

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Mangoes irradiated? Am I out of the loop or something??
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 19, 2008 05:53AM

That is such a bummer I had no idea, is there a list somewhere we can look so we do not get irradiated stuff which is POISON and DEADLY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables