Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bananas
Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: November 11, 2008 04:14AM

I just looked up the nutrition info on bananas. It said bananas are a good source of fiber (6 grams per one mashed cup).

If this is so then why are bananas constipating? Or am I the only one that gets this affect?

I absolutely love bananas and was thrilled that I could actually make a meal on them while following 80/10/10, but they plug me up!!!!!

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Denise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bananas
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 11, 2008 04:22AM

after a while they are not constip.
it's your body , and its condition, not the bananas.
and you're not the only one.

Date: November 11, 2008 04:29AM

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> after a while they are not constip.
> it's your body , and its condition, not the
> bananas.
> and you're not the only one.

I am so relived to hear this and was hoping that was the case. So do you think it best to continue to eat the bananas and let my body adjust or not eat them for a while?

Thank you fresh!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: November 11, 2008 05:20AM

Are you letting them ripen to the point where they are getting brown freckles on the skins before you eat them? If they are at all starchy, or the peel hasn't started to get thin, odds are you are eating the bananas unripe. A perfectly yellow banana is still unripe. It needs to have a lot of freckles on it before it is totally sweet.

A starchy banana will be constipating.

Date: November 11, 2008 05:38AM

Thanks Bryan!

I do try to wait until they are speckled. But now that you mention it, I think I did actually have some that weren't totally ripe, as they had some speckles but were still a little green at the end of the stems.

I'll make sure they are absolutely ripe from now on.

Do you think it is possible that blending them could cause them to be consti? I sometimes make green smoothies of 2-3 bananas and about 8 oz of romaine or spinach.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 11, 2008 08:01AM

Pippin - do you add water to that blend. ?

Date: November 11, 2008 03:16PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pippin - do you add water to that blend. ?

Yes, about a cup or so.

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: November 11, 2008 04:05PM

Wow! When I first went fruarian all I ate was bananas,they are the easiest thing to digest,for me anyway. Actually I havent been constipated since I switched to fruitarian almost a year ago. Bananas go right thru me,which is why I love fruitarianism!

Posted by: gina ()
Date: November 14, 2008 06:24PM

Hi,

Bryan sorry but I actually disagree with your explanation of ripeness in bananas. We find that when we eat them that ripe we get a bad belly. We normally only eat them when they are yellow. I've heard others say the same thing. You need to smell the bananas inside when you've split them open, do they smell like alcohol?

Best wishes,
Gina

Gina Shaw DSc MA AIYS Dip Irid Dip NH
[www.VibrancyUK.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 14, 2008 08:45PM

Check this out.
[www.goingbananasblog.com]
I like them around exhibit #3, #2 if I'm impatient.

-kai

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: November 14, 2008 09:09PM

Check out the advertisements for chiquita bananas in the late 1800s, early 1900s on the web. All the pictures and descriptions of how to eat them match what Bryan is saying. As you progress through the decades, the pictures get more and more unripe, coinciding with a desire to move more product and less concern for quality. It's fascinating to see a brown speckled banana in an ad because nowadays any banana advertisment will be free of all brown spots and no vibrant yellow colors...only pale yellow with green on the ends.

So yeah, I agree with the old school adverstisments. Not sure, Gina, why you'd be getting stomach problems that way. They sure aren't alcoholic with brown specks and I can't stomach them any other way...too starchy. If I were to eat a "yellow" banana the way you describe I'd get stomach pain or at least discomfort. Also they taste bad to me.

Posted by: Kombaiyashii ()
Date: November 14, 2008 10:51PM

I've always had the image that monkeys eat them when they are completely green...Isn't that so?

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: November 15, 2008 07:27AM

No, monkeys eat bananas when they are ripe. Where did you get the idea that they eat them green?

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: November 16, 2008 03:53PM

some monkeys do eat unripe fruit; chimpanzees usually strive for ripe fruit more then other monkeys

they probably eat unripe fruit if there is nothing else. it just means it's more starchy and with less fiber. remember - even wild animals have a hard time with their diet.

[www.cast.uark.edu]

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 16, 2008 05:17PM

gina, I agree with you. When they are too brownish they often smell like alcohol inside, which is a total disqualifier. The small ones (I think called finger bananas), have to be all brown, though, and they dont get that smell.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: November 16, 2008 11:49PM

Try mixing your bananas with raisons... it's the best contstipation cure ever... though i have never found bananas constipating and was surprised to hear a friend of mine say the same as you...

love laugh and dream

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables