Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Osteoporosis resources
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: November 25, 2008 05:30AM

I am looking for ressources on help for osteoporosis in an elderly person. My Dad is a SAD eater, but open. Especially looking for foods high in calcium, phosphorus, Mg etc. How is it best absorbed? Chia seeds? greens? thanks for any input!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Osteoporosis resources
Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: November 26, 2008 12:20PM

I have heard the foods high in silicon are very good for bones and teeth.

Green foods are high in this mineral, as well as magnesium which is very important.

Nettles are very high, and horsetail

A book called biological transmutations also described how silicon transmutes into a useable form of calcium in the body. Traditional foods high in calcium make the problem worse.

I would get a green powder such as vitamineral green that has nettles in, you also want a predominantly alkaline diet, so a diet high in fruit and greens is essential.

Date: November 26, 2008 06:38PM

Ariel, thank you so much, I will investigate this, also the book.

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: November 27, 2008 08:37AM

Hi Cicoa nibs, the book is great but it is not specific for osteoporosis. I found it interesting for other reasons on my journey on raw food.

There doesn't seem to much info on reversing osteoporosis on raw food, although I would read some of the other books on that such as this, and taylor the info although it is 1994 and out of date.[www.amazon.com]

It seems to be quite common knowledge now that calcium is not the main mineral for building bones and you need other minerals, such as boron magnesium silicon, silicon believed to be the most important. If you eat plenty of varied dark greens, fruits and some seeds cover those minerals. Seeds also have phosphorus in,although most people eat too much phosphorus If they eat lots of high protein foods compared to other minerals, all the minerals are needed in balance for bone health.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 27, 2008 10:39AM

I wonder how old your dad is and how active? Bones need to know that they need to absorb calcium and one way of 'telling' them is weight bearing exercise. (this is why it is so important for pre-menopausal women to work out, weight train etc)

For someone who is not very fit or quite challenged inwhat they can achieve even walking is good - or gentle rebounding. Or if they can only sit in a chair even gentle arm exercises are useful.

best wishes

Date: November 27, 2008 12:47PM

Ariel, great book, I will get this. The silicon info was very interesting to my Dad also. Thanks so much.

Flipperjan, my Dad is 84. he walks daily - yes. so important. I am trying to get him to do weight training also, however light. He plays ping pong with my Mom, so thats great. Thanks much!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables